Peter Rabbit movie

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Peter Rabbit movie

Post by Courtenay »

Yes, I heard about that — here's the article from the BBC. I don't suffer from food allergies and don't have anyone close to me who does, but that is just vile and stupid, that they put in a scene like that so thoughtlessly. I'm even less keen on seeing this film now than I was before. :x
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

It's all very well to apologise, but will it really be removed, I wonder?
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

It's a subject that I am a bit sensitive about. As a family we've been subject to a certain amount of scepticism about our food intolerances, and have been accused of just being fussy, although fortunately it's becoming more accepted, and most people are sympathetic/understanding. However food allergies most definitely aren't a 'whim', it's a recognised medical condition, that's why some people have to carry an Epi-pen with them - my daughter has just been learning about them in her first aid course at Guides. To have a film depicting it in such a way is beyond my comprehension. Also, even if it wasn't a life or death condition, I don't understand how the film makers thought it was an acceptable scene, in these days of anti-bullying campaigns, they've just tried to make it acceptable to bombard someone with something they find upsetting!

Actually, I'm just wondering if the film makers are wholly to blame, have they just taken something out of the original books and added a modern twist to it? I seem to remember something in one of Enid Blyton's school books where someone was terrified of cats or mice or something and so someone deliberately put the offending creature in someones desk/locker etc. Although being an Enid Blyton story, I expect the culprit was made to see the error of their ways.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I certainly don't recall anyone in the original books being allergic to blackberries! Was the concept of 'allergy' even around in the 1900's?!

It sounds like a disgusting scene to me and has certainly put me right off this film, which I wasn't very keen on in the first place. I liked the depictions of the characters, but wasn't keen on the slap-stick type stuff which all films seem to have to include these days, just to entertain dumbed-down children!! :-(

As someone who suffers food allergies - shellfish - and someone who was very close to suffering an anaphylactic shock after eating prawns (something I'd eaten with no problems up until then!) in 1995 - I don't find food allergies amusing in any way. They come out of nowhere and can affect anyone, even if you've never had a food intolerance previously - that's something many people don't know. In fact, its more likely to happen if you eat a food regularly.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I've got the complete set of Beatrix Potter books in one volume — I'm not sure I've actually read absolutely every one of them, but I'm certain there's no scene even remotely like that in any of them!! :shock: :roll: The whole concept of it just sounds totally out of character for Beatrix Potter. Rather like a lot else in this new film, from what we've seen so far. :x Ugh.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

But I will definitely watch this movie too just to satisfy my curiosity, if nothing more. I love this type of films.
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

It's certainly a step too far - to include a scene like that which is something not even thought about at the start of the last century. I guess there were allergies of course, but not a lot was known about them and the description of the scene seems to me to be a very clumsy way of highlighting the allergy problem.

Society Member
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

sixret wrote:But I will definitely watch this movie too just to satisfy my curiosity, if nothing more. I love this type of films.
I wonder if you will love it quite so much afterwards!

Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Katharine wrote:Has anyone seen the criticism the new Peter Rabbit film has come in for? Apparently one of the characters has an allergy to blackberries so is chased by some of the others who throw blackberries at him, putting one into his mouth, so he has to use an EpiPen.

I hope very much that scene is deleted before it makes it's way over to the UK.
I heard about it this morning on LBC radio. It was pointed out that the rabbits were reacting to the character shooting at them with a shotgun. Kind of put it into perspective methinks. Of course, the children watching this would surely have at least one parent/guardian with them- giving an opportunity to explain the problems of food allergies. ?My understanding is that a blackberry happens to fall into his mouth - as opposed to "putting one into his mouth"- a somewhat different situation.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Jack400 wrote:
I heard about it this morning on LBC radio. It was pointed out that the rabbits were reacting to the character shooting at them with a shotgun. Kind of put it into perspective methinks. Of course, the children watching this would surely have at least one parent/guardian with them- giving an opportunity to explain the problems of food allergies. ?My understanding is that a blackberry happens to fall into his mouth - as opposed to "putting one into his mouth"- a somewhat different situation.
I've heard both versions - some people are saying he is force-fed the blackberry!

Even so, I'm struggling to see what's funny about a severe allergic reaction. I'm sure they could have had a similar scene without resorting to black humour in a children's movie.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

To be honest, I think that children's films have pretty much run their course (I don't like what I have just typed) and the modern trend of "pushing the boundaries" has left an impossible task for film directors/ scriptwriters.Whether it's a 'good' idea to fill children's heads with food allergies as a form of weapon is another thing...
Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I had a further look online and found the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America has sent a letter to the makers of the film explaining in detail why they believe that scene in the film is irresponsible and even dangerous — here's the letter on their "Kids with Food Allergies" website. Reading it, I can certainly understand why this is such a big deal for people who suffer from food allergies. According to the letter, too, the scene in the film shows the animals deliberately targeting Mr McGregor with blackberries because they know he's allergic to them, which is even more of a worry if it might encourage young viewers to try doing the same to someone with allergies in real life. This is an excerpt from the letter:
Making light of this condition hurts our members because it encourages the public not to take the risk of allergic reactions seriously, and this cavalier attitude may make them act in ways that could put an allergic person in danger.

It is extremely important that people with a food allergy avoid the food to which they are allergic, as contact with their allergen can cause a life-threatening allergic reaction. People with a severe food allergy face challenges every day. Recently, there have been distressing accounts of children using food to bully and assault children with food allergies, and some cases have resulted in death for the child with food allergies and criminal charges for the attackers.
Society Member

Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

The amount of people laughing at the allergy 'boycott' on facebook is shocking. Most people seem to think that allergies are fair game for comedy. The views on this forum seem to be looked upon as the 'loony minority' unfortunately. :-(
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member