The Last Summer - Robert Houghton

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: The Last Summer - Robert Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:You don't have to stick with one publisher if you have a traditional publisher, Robert. My hubby has two publishers on the go.

And if my own publisher wouldn't accept my second novel, then I too would look elsewhere. So I don't really understand what you are meaning. Sorry to go off topic as this topic is about your own book! :)
You couldn't publish The Mysterious Boy' with another publisher until a certain time had elapsed, I presume. :-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Why would I want too publish that same book with someone else. It doesn't make sense to me, sorry! But I don't understand your way of thinking. :|

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Just saying although I published my book on Amazon, I could still submit it elsewhere to a legitimate publisher. I was talking specifically about my own book! :D I haven't had to sign a contract, is really all I meant. Surely publishers usually have 'an option' on the next three books from an author? Maybe I'm wrong and its changed these days. :-)

Also, I like the fact I can proof my book as many times as I like. I dislike mistakes in my writing, and I was pleased when Daisy pointed out a few. I was able to re-edit my book and send it back to Amazon with corrections, and I've corrected it several times again since then, whereas with a 'real' publisher this is pretty impossible if mistakes have been left unchanged. :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I'm afraid I would have to disagree with your way of thinking Rob, sorry. Why on earth would you want to keep going back to your own book to proof read it. You could go on forever doing that, and changing things!

But if going down the route you have chosen suits you then that's all that matters. I do have a contract yes, every author who goes down the traditional route has a contract. At the end of mine it says, they would like to have first refusal on my next book. I don't have a contract for three other books.

I think that sort of contract comes your way when you're an accomplished well known author and they pay you a good substantial amount for say changing publishers, or in the case of the lady who has been commissioned by Hodder for three S.S. books.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:I'm afraid I would have to disagree with your way of thinking Rob, sorry. Why on earth would you want to keep going back to your own book to proof read it. You could go on forever doing that, and changing things!
Because I want it to be the best it can be! :-D I'm lucky that I can do that, I feel.

I'm sure saying this will make me look like a villain - but I was quite surprised at the many mistakes in your book, if I'm honest - as I had presumed it had been proofed by professionals - whereas mine has only been proofed by me, and a few others who have spotted things. I wouldn't like to think I had a published book out there with a lot of grammatical errors and typos - but that's just the way I am.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Meaning that you sent the book to Daisy for proof-reading? In that case, thanks to Daisy. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

No - she bought a copy - read it, and noted some mistakes - for which I was very thankful. :-D I was only embarrassed that she'd bought a shoddy copy! :oops:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Don’t feel that way, Rob. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Its just how I am, lol! :D I even feel embarrassed when I see a mistake in the weekly serial etc. :D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Rob Houghton wrote: I'm sure saying this will make me look like a villain - but I was quite surprised at the many mistakes in your book, if I'm honest -
I'm not sure villain is the word, but I do think you have overstepped the mark, Rob. This thread is beginning to look very spiteful, and I don't think comments such as you made show you in a particularly good light. I am sure you didn't mean to be hurtful or come over in this way, but that is how your post appears to me. If I were Julie, I would be very upset.
Society Member
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Nigel pointed me to this thread and wondered if I'd like to comment. I found it very interesting!

Being completely objective about it all, I didn't see Rob's comments as spiteful. I personally feel that if an author takes affront at polite and constructive criticism, then that author should quit writing at once and get out of the public eye. I'm sure Julie isn't offended, though -- right, Julie? I'd be disappointed if you were.

Readers occasionally point out typos in my books, and my reaction is, "WHAT? Holy cow, thanks so much for letting me know, I'll correct it right away." I can't fathom why someone would be unsure about mentioning it. It annoys me that a reader would keep that information to themselves. I want my books to be as clean as possible, even if that means re-publishing. I publish on Amazon, Nook, Kobo, and Apple, and also a print edition on CreateSpace... so yeah, that's a lot of re-publishing. But it's worth it. I've had quite a few reviewers over the years say they appreciate "error-free" text in this typo-riddled publishing world we live in now.

Julie, you asked why on earth would someone go back and keep proofreading? Well, I wouldn't go so far to say that I'd keep on and on re-reading my books, because yes, that would drive me crazy, always finding new things to fix. But I'd certainly want to know about typos. My own way of doing things is to re-read the book several times BEFORE publishing, and have beta readers read it as well, and fix everything I can before I hit the publish button. Then, as I said, correct any new typos readers might point out. But I won't re-read it myself; I'm done and have moved on.

One thing I'm certain about is that you can permanently screw up your writing career if you don't make your book as clean as possible. I've seen reviews for books stating that it "would have been a good story if it had been edited or proofread properly" and those readers actually giving up and giving it a low rating. That cannot be undone. When a book has 100 ratings, and the first 25 are 1-star because it was poorly edited, but the book has since been edited... well, it's too little too late.

Oh, and vanity vs. self-published... I would never, ever pay hundreds of dollars for a "press company" to publish my book. I won't even pay a cent. I'll do it all myself for free, thankyouverymuch! And being self-published can be the smart way to go these days. Typically, a traditionally published author might feel they're being fully marketed and promoted... but I'll bet most have to do all the work themselves, only for a much smaller royalty than self-pubbed authors. Only the big names, or the potential big names, are promoted properly. The rest fend for themselves. Read about it. You'll find that most traditional publishers take on maybe ten books a year and will pour all their attention into the two top "favorites / best bets" only.

That said, if a traditional publisher came along and offered me a 6-figure number for one of my books, then I'd pay attention. :-)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Thanks Keith - pretty much how I feel, and I agree with you 100%.

I'm sorry if I upset anyone - but let's not forget that we are talking about a professionally published book v my own self-published book. I would expect high standards if my book had been published by a legitimate publisher, rather than 'just' by Amazon. In fact I wrongly assumed that legitimate publishers wouldn't let anything be published in their name without it being exemplary. I would feel let down by my publisher if they hadn't corrected errors before publishing - in fact I'd be demanding reprints, lol! Julie's book was brilliant for plot and characterisation...but I seem to be the only one brave enough to point out that there were a few errors. It detracted from the great story and characters somewhat.

My reaction to people pointing out typos and grammatical errors in my books is about the same as Keith's. I'm always grateful. In fact, Tony and Anita pretty much taught me how to correctly lay out the speech when I did my Famous Five serial - and I'm very grateful of their assistance. I'm always pleased when people offer me constructive criticism. In my view, constructive criticism is given by people who care a lot about your work and want to help you make it the best it can be. I never find it insulting, because they are obviously deeply engaged in your writing, and care enough about what they've read to tell you.

:D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

Daisy wrote:I think we're all in the same boat when hearing our recorded voices. I can't stand mine. Rob, I just caught the faintest of Brummie inflexions occasionally.
     When I read this part of the thread discussing various people's recorded voices and their accents, it did occur to me that it would be interesting to have a thread where people submitted samples of their voice so we can hear what each other sound like. But I'm gathering no-one would be willing to submit samples anyway, so that idea might be dead before it even starts.
     Still, I sampled your voice, Rob, and it sounded good. If you think it sounds awful, I find that totally unfounded. A bit different from what I expected, but quite distinctive. (On another point, though - like Nigel, I prefer things without any background music. I always find music, even softly, very distracting from speech, whether recorded or actual discussion at a dinner or party or whatever.)

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
MJE

Post by MJE »

pete9012S wrote:
Courtenay wrote: ..horrendously Aussie..
Surely that is an oxymoron?

:shock:
     For some Australian accents, maybe not an oxymoron. We do have some shockers here, sometimes - nasal, distorted vowels, gabbling, cutting off letters. If it's bad enough, I can hardly understand what's being said.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
MJE

Post by MJE »

pete9012S wrote:I'm always mindful that The Enid Blyton Dossier was one of the best books about Enid Blyton ever produced and yet it ran into unforeseen difficulties.
     Ahh... what happened there? It was one of a few books about Enid Blyton I had intentions of looking for some time, but life got in the way and I never quite got round to that.
     So is it out of print now? Possible to buy used still? I think that is one that would interest me.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member