The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Hi!
Went back all the eight pages this topic consists of, and couldn't find dedicated to what I believe, in my opinion, to be the best book ever written in the history of literature: The Count of Montecristo (No doubt about that) :wink:
Well, so today, after a five day enjoyment in France and at times in Italy, along with one of the best known characters, I finally ended this brilliant, and breathtaking book. (Finally is not exactly a good word, because I regret having finished reading it). I don't have enough words to describe this masterpiece, because that's the only word I can use, nor the character of out hero, Edmond Dantes. I highly esteemed Alexandre Dumas after reading the Three Musketeers and the Man in the Iron Mask, but right now, I most profoundly admire him, I can even venture to say, I consider him a complete genius.
Every minute, every word, every chapter of this magnificent novel has enchanted me, under the spell of that person who becomes addicted to something and cannot stop 'reading'. What I like about this book is that it hooks you from the first moment, and putting down the book became an almost impossible task afterwards. And yes, I can say I enjoyed every minute of it. It's just a truly AMAZING book.
Has any of you read it? And if so, what were your thoughts on it?
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas

Post by Eddie Muir »

A great book indeed, María Esther. :D I read it as a young teenager and loved it. Many film versions have been made over the years. I've seen quite a few of them and thoroughly enjoyed all the adaptations I've seen.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Eddie, I tried watching the 1975 adaptation of the Count of Monte Cristo, but to be honest I could not finish it. Richard Chamberlain was definitely amazing as Edmond Dantes, but the plot has nothing to do with the actual book. I really found it disappointing. Are there any other versions you would recommend?
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog

Post by Eddie Muir »

The 2002 version starring Jim Caviezel, Guy Pearce and Richard Harris is the last one I saw and it was very good, María Esther. I think you would enjoy this adaptation.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series

Post by Wolfgang »

There's a four-parter with Gérard Depardieu playing Edmond Dantès. I haven't seen it, but according to a Wikipedia article it's quite close to the novel.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.