Cornelia Funke and Brian Jaques

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Samuel

Cornelia Funke and Brian Jaques

Post by Samuel »

Hmm? Are we supposed to discuss only children authors or adult writers. I'm a 41 year old male who has all of a sudden become addicted to childrens'books. The Harry Potter books started my addiction. Well anyways, I just got done reading two books called The Thief Lord and Inkheart by Cornelia Funke. According to certain reviews, Funke is suppossed to be Germany's version of JK Rowling. I've just recently started reading Brian Jaques Redwall books. I've read the first in the series (Redwall) and enjoyed it. I started the second book (Mossflower) on Monday night and it's slow going because it almost seems like a repeat of the first book. I may or may not continue with the rest of the series. Other books that I've read that my oldest son said I just had to read were Phillip Pullmans books The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass. Wow what an exciting read those books were. My youngest son is into the Lemmony Snicket books. One night I picked up the first in the series to see what all the buzz was. After the fifth book I know I am now addicted to the Snickett books. My kids love it that I'm reading kiddie books. My wife thinks its a phase. I don't know, it just seems their are a lot more good books out their for kids than for adults. I plan on getting myself reaquainted with Enid Blyton since I loved her so much as a child. I hope my kids will find her as wonderful too. My wife never heard of her. I don't think a lot of Americans have. She says she will give the books a try too. I just placed an order with one of the sellers at Abe books. I ordered the following: Five on a Treasure Island, Five Go Adventuring, The Secret Island, The Treasure Hunters, and Adventures of the Wishing Chair. Can hardly wait for the order to arrive!
Tony Summerfield

Other Authors

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Hi Samuel and welcome to the site - I'm delighted that you have now registered as you will now be informed of any replies to your posts, though I'm not sure you will be told of this one.

I would certainly agree with you over Cornelia Funke - and there are currently a number of other great children's authors around.

I compiled this list for another site of some of my favourite books from recent months:-

1. Midnight for Charlie Bone by Jenny Nimmo
2. The House on Falling Star Hill by Michael Molloy
3. Sabriel by Garth Nix
4. Inkheart by Cornelia Funke
5. Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve
6. The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud
7. The Weavers of Saramyr by Chris Wooding
8. The Windsinger by Michael Nicholson
9. Wolf Brother by Michelle Paver
10. How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff

Many of these belong to trilogies (or more) and I have left out the obvious choices of Rowling and Pullman. Since compiling the list I would also add - Sharp North by Patrick Cave and Apocalypse by Tim Bowler.

I have a huge pile of books still to read!

Best wishes
Tony
Matthew Roberts
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty and George

Re: Other Authors

Post by Matthew Roberts »

Tony Summerfield wrote:8. The Windsinger by Michael Nicholson
William Nicholson. :)

Matthew
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I would say Malcolm Saville was an essential read too. (I've posted this comment elswhere as well, there seems a little duplicity!) :)
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Other Authors

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I may have given the wrong impression when I listed my 'top ten' as these were all 21st Century authors - my interests are far wider than this and I most certainly agree with you Nigel about Malcolm Saville. I have read and have copies of all his fiction books - possibly also I am one of the only regulars on this Forum who is actually a member of the Malcolm Saville Society (I know that a number of our members also belong to this Society including John Allsup who has built a magnificent Malcolm Saville website).

As Matt knows I collect books from a number of other 'older' authors as well as I have a wide interest in children's books - amongst others I have complete collections of Arthur Ransome, Richmal Crompton, C S Lewis and Anthony Buckeridge, to name just a few - so yes, there are a great many children's authors that I rate highly, it is just that at present I have been reading contemporary authors.
RagamuffinJo
Favourite book/series: Famous Five,Secret Seven,FFO,Mr Galliano,
Favourite character: George,Jo,Quentin,Big Ears,Pink Whistle...

Post by RagamuffinJo »

I enjoy books by Brian Jacques, Philip Pullman, Cecelia Ahern, Jane Austen and Gary Paulsen and several others :)
Almas
Favourite book/series: Six Bad Boys/Adventure/Famous Five/ Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty (I have a crush on him!!)

Re: Cornelia Funke and Brian Jaques

Post by Almas »

Count me in! I'm a great Cornelia Funke fan. I somly love her books, especially The Thief Lord and it's film adaptation, Dragon Rider and of course the The Inkheart Trilogy.

A film version for Inkheart scheduled to be released March 19,2008 by New Line Cinema - and I'm really excited for it. :D :D
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.
Christophe
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers
Favourite character: Dick, Philipp

Post by Christophe »

There is a series of books (five) by Cornelia Funke which haven't been translated yet. Die wilden Hühner (The Wild Chickens) are my favourites by her.

The books are about five girls who save a flock of chickens from being eaten by one of the girl's grandmother. Their clubhouse is an old caravan and they fall from one adventure into another. Their favourite pleasure is fighting against the Pygmaeus (male classmates).
In the last book they fall in love with the boys.
JuliaE
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers

Post by JuliaE »

I really like the books from Cornelia Funke. I haven't read all of them but every book I read was great.
I haven't read the wild chickens up to now but I have them all waiting for a bit time to read and I think I will love them.

I also like the books from Kirasten Boie, another German author, but I don't think they are translated to english.