Hello Enid Blyton Society!

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
LexFraser

Hello Enid Blyton Society!

Post by LexFraser »

My name is Lex Fraser and I am a part-time (love to be full-time) writer of children's mystery and adventure books. It all started for me with Enid Blyton - obviously the 'Five' series, but for me the best were the Five Find-outers! Fatty must be one of the greatest characters in children's literature - the shed, the disguises, out foxing of Goon, etc - it really bugs me when I hear people say she only created two dimensional characters! Although, thankfully, I think Blyton Bashing is more and more becoming a thing of the past. Once again, I am a part-time scribbler - and Enid is definitely my inspiration. My book The Adventure of the Missing Diva is actually FREE to buy on Amazon/Kindle from the 10th until the 11th of November - it would be great to see some reviews/read your thoughts. Best regards, Lex. :)
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: Hello Enid Blyton Society!

Post by Fiona1986 »

Free is a word I like when applied to books especially. I have 'bought' it, but I have no idea when I'll get around to reading it. My kindle is packed with free books!

Blyton bashing does seem to be on the decline but it still pops up all too often. I read a recent blog post from someone who stated they had never read a Blyton 'except to skim through one or two for this review' and then proceeded to slag off every element of her works.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
LexFraser

Post by LexFraser »

Thanks Fiona - that's great! Your kindle sounds like mine!

I always liked her response that she never listened to any critics over the age of 12.

Thanks again for downloading the book!

Cheers,

Lex
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Yep - that's the best one! I often add that to any reviews on my blog especially if I've criticised anything. I'm over 12 so my criticisms don't count!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Many thanks Lex.

I have downloaded the book and started to read it.
Best Wishes

Pete
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
LexFraser

Post by LexFraser »

Thanks, Pete!

Appreciate it and hope you enjoy it!

Cheers,

Lex
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Sounds interesting. Unfortunately I don't possess a Kindle! :(
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

You can get the Kindle app for computers, tablets and phones, Rob.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
LexFraser

Post by LexFraser »

Thanks, Fiona - hope that helps, Rob!

Cheers,

Lex
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Welcome to the forums, Lex. I am also a Five Find-Outers and Dog fan. I look forward to reading the Kindle edition of your book, The Mystery of the Missing Diva. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Welcome, rex. Good to see you took Fatty's advice on enidblyton.net and looked us up! I too have downloaded your book to my Kindle, but like Fiona, not too sure when I will read it. Maybe after my current book unless I get bullied into reading something else!
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I have read the first few pages by going to Amazon via the link on Enid Blyton Badges on facebook ... it looks promising. Is it available as a paperback? I get the impression that it is.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Dinah Cunningham
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series and the Famous Five
Favourite character: Everyone of the Adventure Series, George, Timmy

Post by Dinah Cunningham »

Hi Rex
I would love to download your book on my kindle app. The problem is that I live in Switzerland and I can't download it... I get the following message: Kindle titles are available for DE customers on Amazon.de.
Continue shopping on the Kindle Store at Amazon.de.
I tried changing my country to the UK, but couldn't... Do you have a solution?
Bill: "I don't know what to say. You're only kids — but you're the finest company of friends anyone could have. You know the meaning of loyalty already, and even if you're scared you don't give up. I'm proud to have you for my friends."
LexFraser

Post by LexFraser »

Thanks for all your messages - I hope you enjoy the book!

The free kindle promo ends today - but I will be running another one soon when the next available promo period kicks in (Amazon only gives you 5 days per quarter when you can 'sell' for free).

To answer Daisy, my book is also available in paperback too - although, I think I have bought all the copies to date (and my Mum lol)!

I am not sure how to help re Dinah's query - but I think googling will be the best solution. In my experience, there's always someone out there who has found a way!

Thanks again to enidblyton.net for directing me to this site. I wish sites like these were around when I first started reading Enid's books in the early 80s!

Best regards,

Lex
LexFraser

Post by LexFraser »

Just want to say a massive thanks again to all the above - the free offer on my book went very well. And, the absolute icing on the cake would be if any of you amazing people were kind enough to post a review on Amazon! Once again, I will be doing another free promo later this year - probably in the run up to Christmas - but i will post a heads up on the site before I do.

Many thanks!

Lex