Jack the Ripper

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Jack the Ripper

Post by Rob Houghton »

I feel I need to chime in also and say I usually look at the letters every week (sometimes I forget or think I have when I haven't - blame my befuddled brain!) but usually I read them, though I don't always comment.

I know how Tony must feel though - because I feel the same occasionally about threads such as the 'Sixty Years Ago This Week' thread I started (now, thankfully, getting more comments!) or even the 'Weekly Serial' thread, which as I'm sure Julie will agree, sometimes feels as if each episode is going by per week with no one reading it whatsoever! I'm well aware this is slightly different, as it is only available to Society members - (which is a shame! - I wish it could be available to all, but copyright prevents it) but sometimes writing such serials does seem rather a thankless task - so I can easily understand how Tony must feel when he uploads another letter, produces another Journal, or adds things to the cave.

Of course, no one expects constant praise and attention, but sometimes these things can go without being commented on for weeks, if at all, and it's rather a lonely feeling to be adding to the website and to be wondering if anyone has even noticed! Especially when a Favourite Tea thread or Dr Who gets comments every few days! 8)
Last edited by Rob Houghton on 26 Sep 2016, 14:08, edited 1 time in total.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

I don't always think talking to the poster of the 'offending' post always works. We have had many instances here where people have posted controversial things just to try and be funny or stir up a debate or an argument and when you confront the person it often (not always though, I hasten to add!) just creates more rows because the person will then retaliate back by arguing their point, or even posting more controversial stuff just to either try and be funny or to keep the row going.

I guess it depends on who the poster is. If its someone who has genuinely just said something in error then pointing it out politely would probably do the trick, but if its someone who makes a habit of being controversial just to try and be funny or try to get debates or arguments going, then pointing it out will probably do no good as they would probably just carry on the same and post more stuff in an attempt to be rebellious.
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Good points, Cathy.

Rob, I can fully see you point. I can quite see how one's work being ignored can make you feel. "Is it worth it?" Much of my reply quota depends on how busy I am. I read most posts - sometimes on a device other than a laptop/pc. Very often I don't have time to write a "Well done, really enjoyed...." post although I have enjoyed it. That is where a Like button would be so handy.

Maybe this one?

The problem is, we can't add it to a post, so a short quote would have to suffice.

Further discussion about a "like" button can be found here:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... 07#p278333" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member
Liam
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by Liam »

Moonraker wrote:I have no idea whether or not "I am the person who thinks a post is inappropriate." If it is me, I was being friendly! It was not a complaint, just an observation put, or so I thought, in a slightly light-hearted way! I certainly felt neither shock nor consternation at posts in this thread.
No problem Nigel. Your deadpan humor just flew right past me. And a few others too, it would seem. :)
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Jack the Ripper was the main theme of my very first short story ebook, published last year! You find out who the real one was, but there's a sci-fi twist at the end...

https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Stephen-Mor ... B00SPXKGKS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

I'm afraid I don't have a kindle . . .
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Thank you Stephen.I have just sent a copy to my kindle.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member