Leslie Charteris - The Saint

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Billy Farmer

Leslie Charteris - The Saint

Post by Billy Farmer »

I wondered are there any members on this forum, who have read any Saint Books, written by Leslie Charteris, I am a big fan of the late 1970's TV series - Return of the Saint, which starred Ian Ogilvy, in the title role, the theme tune, to Return of the Saint, is one of my all time favourite theme tunes, I also like the 1960's TV series - The Saint, which starred Roger Moore, in the title role, I also like the late 1930's, early 1940's Saint films, which starred George Sanders, I can remember that George Sanders, always used to whistle, before he appeared on screen (in the Saint films), George Sanders, is my favourite Movie Simon Templar.

I have seen Sir Roger Moore, when he came to the Norwich Theatre Royal, for an evening with Sir Roger Moore, a clip from the evening (when someone asked Sir Roger, a funny question) can be seen on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwkkLslQjDg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Leslie Charteris - The Saint

Post by Rob Houghton »

I remember the TV series in the 1970's but apart from that, I've never read any of the books. :-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I haven't read any of the books, Billy, but I have all the 60's DVD's of The Saint with Roger Moore, and the early saint as you say, George Sanders.

I too saw Sir Roger Moore when he came to the Hall for Cornwall in Truro. His lovely wife was sat in the audience, as he introduced her when on stage.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Domino

Post by Domino »

I remember both TV series, but I didn't feel that "Return of the Saint" was as good as the original. I have several episodes from the Roger Moore series on DVD. I also have several of the George Sanders films. The main trouble with these was that they were 'B' films, very cheaply and hurriedly made.
I did read one book (a collection of Saint short stories) written by Leslie Charteris (which is pronounced Charters), but found it rather disappointing. This may be because several of the screenplays for the ITC television series were written by Hollywood scriptwriters (using pseudonyms), who had been blacklisted during the McCarthy witch-hunts. One of these was Ring Lardner Jr.

Dave
He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green.

Society Member
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Pretty much the only thing I knew for years about Leslie Charteris was that my best friend at school was related to his biographer! Having said that, reading about him now, he did seem like quite a fascinating individual.

I do vaguely remember the theme tune of 'Return of the Saint', and even one of the episodes (the one set in Venice).
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I remember watching The Saint on TV back in the 60s when Roger Moore played Simon Templar. I can't recall any of the episodes and I much preferred watching The Avengers with Patrick MacNee ad Diana Rigg.
Society Member