Ian Serraillier

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Ian Serraillier

Post by John Pickup »

I was fortunate to find a hardback copy of The Silver Sword by Ian Serraillier in a charity shop for 50p the other day. The dustwrapper is grubby and has a few close tears but otherwise the book is in very good condition. I have fond memories of this book being read to us when I was in primary school in the early 60s.
My copy is a 1970 reprint (bet Tony has a 1st edition) and on the flap there are mentions of other books by the author, Flight To Adventure, There's No Escape and They Raced For Treasure. I have never read any of these and I wondered if any other forum members had and would they recommend them.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Ian Serraillier

Post by Rob Houghton »

I've never even heard of him... :oops: Sounds like another author to look out for! :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

John Pickup wrote:The dustwrapper is grubby and has a few close tears
I first read that as "The dust wrapper is grubby and I was close to tears" !!! :D
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

No John, I have just checked and I have a 5th impression 1959, but it does have the original dustwrapper on it.

When I was teaching, Ian Serraillier lived in a nearby village and he came to talk to the children on a number of occasions, but sadly I never met him.

I do have a signed 1st edition of They Raced for Treasure, but I have yet to read it like so many of my books!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

We also had The Silver Sword read to us in primary school, John, and shortly afterwards I bought a paperback copy which I've read several times. A gripping story, and very moving. I've never come across any of Ian Serraillier's other books.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

The Silver Sword was on the Carnegie Medal shortlist in 1956 and got commended. The winner that year was The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis, so there was stiff competition. They Raced for Treasure published in 1946 was his debut novel. I think I probably have Ian Serraillier's own copy as I bought it from a dealer who bought all Serraillier's own books when he died in 1994.
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I remember watching an excellent seven part black and white BBC Television serialisation of The Silver Sword in 1957-58. Melvyn Hayes played Edek and Frazer Hines played Jan. Other actors in the production included Pat Pleasance, Ingrid Sylvester, Barry Letts, Gwen Watford, Richard Carpenter, David Courtney, Shaw Taylor and Patrick Cargill.

Many years later, as a teacher, I used Ian Serraillier's superb novel as a teaching aid.

Congratulations on finding a 1970 edition in good condition, John. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Thanks for your replies. I shall look out for Ian Serraillier's other novels. If they are as thrilling as The Silver Sword I shall enjoy reading them.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

He only wrote seven novels. The Silver Sword was his penultimate one which he wrote when he was 44, and he did one more book four years later and that was his lot. He also wrote 9 shorter books for younger children, but the last of these came out the same year as The Silver Sword.