W.J. Burley - Wycliffe

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Billy Farmer

W.J. Burley - Wycliffe

Post by Billy Farmer »

I wondered are there any members on this forum, who have read any Books, written by W.J. Burley, that featured the Detective - Charles Wycliffe, I am a big fan of the 1990's TV series - Wycliffe, which featured Jack Shepherd, in the title role, and have got all the episodes on DVD - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wycliffe-1-DVD ... s=wycliffe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member
Domino

Re: W.J. Burley - Wycliffe

Post by Domino »

The character in the books isn't quite like Jack Shepherd played him. For a start, Wycliffe is a Scouser. Quite why they changed it for the TV series is a mystery, unless Jack Shepherd can't do a Liverpool accent - but, if that's the case, why cast him? He'd never really shone before this series, but it has to be said he excelled himself as Wycliffe.

Dave
Last edited by Domino on 04 Aug 2016, 12:07, edited 1 time in total.
He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Yes, I've read a few of them, Billy and I did watch an episode of the TV series being filmed one afternoon on a cold March day in Wadebidge. It was being filmed on the Wadebridge show ground, can't remember the name of the episode, but it was the one with the racing horse, a kidnapped, then killed wife, all done by the stable hand, Angela.

I got to speak with Jack Shepherd - the actor who played Lucy, and the actor who play Kersey. :D

The producers did ask us if we want to be part of the back ground, but I chickened out! :roll:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

Very interesting post, Julie, I can remember the episode you are referring to - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0751046/?ref_=ttep_ep2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have got a copy of the following programme - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0896419/?ref_=ttep_ep6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which was part of a six part series, about Detective series, and which featured a lot of interesting behind the scenes stories, about each Detective series.

Even though I have got all the episodes of Wycliffe, on DVD, I often watch the repeats when they are shown on Sky.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Yes, the Trojan Horse, that was the one, Billy. One of the actors in that episode we saw is in Emmerdale now too. And the girl who played Angela, I've seen her on TV before.

We spent all afternoon watching them making the scenes for the Point to Point scene, and yet when it was shown on TV it must have been on for about 4 minutes or so. I got the autographs of the main actors too. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member