Celia Rees

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Celia Rees

Post by Rob Houghton »

Anyone ever read books by Celia Rees? A few years ago I read quite a few of them, and all were extremely entertaining and well worth reading. She's written quite a few books but maybe her two best known are 'Witch Child' and the sequel, Sorceress - written in the form of a diary of a girl who goes to America as an early settler.

Other books by Celia Rees I've read include Pirates!, The Wish House, The Vanished, Ghost Chamber and Truth or Dare. they usually contain some element of the supernatural, but are also deeply thought provoking and very well written.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Re: Celia Rees

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I have copies of Witch Child, Sorceress, Pirates and Sovay, three of which are signed 1st editions, but I regret to say that I haven't read any of them yet - you have just encouraged me to have a go, Rob!
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Re: Celia Rees

Post by Carlotta King »

Yes! I have Blood Sinister, it's a vampire story but it's not like your usual Twilight stuff, because I can't stand those, this one is very clever and atmospheric and full of twists, and it switches between present day and a diary from the past. It's set in London and I just adore the descriptions of the 18th c London in the diary entries.
It's very dark and has a feel of Jekyll and Hyde about it, not the story itself but just the descriptions of the costumes and the foggy gaslit alleys etc.

I've never been a fan of vampire books (although I love watching the old Hammer Horror Dracula film!) but this book really is excellent.
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member