Lucy M. Boston

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Billy Farmer

Re: Lucy M. Boston

Post by Billy Farmer »

I enjoyed reading some of The Children of Green Knowe, this afternoon, thanks to the 1980's BBC TV version of The Children of Green Knowe, Images of Alec Christie and Daphne Oxenford, appeared in my mind, look forward to reading the rest of the Book.

I very much liked the main location for the 1980's BBC TV version of The Children of Green Knowe, Crow's Hall, in Suffolk - http://www.crows-hall.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.invitationtoview.co.uk/prope ... rows-hall/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

Tony Summerfield wrote:When I was trying to find BBC DVDs to see what else might have come out recently as well as Green Knowe, I came across this site.

https://store.bbc.com/childrens?page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not really what I was looking for but I did notice The Swish of the Curtain here. I am sure there must be a proper BBC DVD shop somewhere!
I signed up to the BBC Store, this afternoon, just got to work out, how to download titles, from the site.

Have any members on this forum, got a copy of the following Book - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hill-Beyond-Ch ... and+beyond" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; an excellent Book, which I have got a copy of.
Society Member
timv

Post by timv »

I was first introduced to Lucy M Boston's works by a reading of 'The Children of Green Knowe' on 'Jackanory' on the BBC - I think in the late 1960s when I was about nine . I found it slightly scary, more on account of the sinister yew tree 'Green Noah' than due to the children who Tolly encounters clearly being 'ghosts' as they are clearly benevolent ones who come back to a place that they loved. (The idea of a malevolent tree with a life of its own is very well done, and is a bit similar to JRR Tolkien's 'Old Forest' in 'Lord of the Rings'.) The book had a splendid sense of atmosphere about a very old house, though as I went to primary school in a similar, converted old house (Victorian not medieval) with a large, wiId garden it made me feel that the collection of yew trees there was a bit creepy!
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I first read the book aged 10 on the recommendation of my excellent Grade 4 teacher, Mrs King — I have a feeling she may have read part of it to us in class, but I can't quite remember. I know she was always trying to encourage me to read new books (which for some reason I was reluctant to do at that age) and she specified that one as one I might like; she was right. 8)

In fact, she introduced me to Tom's Midnight Garden in the same way — and then, in a bit of a remarkable coincidence, both those books had their respective BBC adaptations shown on the ABC in Australia soon after! :D Both were so well done that they made me love the books all the more — we taped both off the TV on video (those were the days) and I enjoyed revisiting them.

I'll definitely have to dig out my copy of The Children of Green Knowe when I'm back in Australia (early next year) and re-read it — and then start on the sequels as well! :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

The BBC adaptation of Tom's Midnight Garden was excellent. I believe the BBC tackled this three times, but the one I remember was the latest one in 1989, with the titles that revolved (all that's available on YouTube). It was excellently done, and much better, in my opinion, than the later film version. It's a travesty that the BBC haven't released this on DVD...like they've only released 'The Enchanted Castle' in Australia! :-(

The BBC TV version og Green Knowe and Carrie's War both arrived today! Looking forward to seeing them both...though I may save The Children of Green Knowe until nearer Christmas! :-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Rob Houghton wrote:The BBC adaptation of Tom's Midnight Garden was excellent. I believe the BBC tackled this three times, but the one I remember was the latest one in 1989, with the titles that revolved (all that's available on YouTube). It was excellently done, and much better, in my opinion, than the later film version.
Yes, that's the one I mean, although it was 1992 when it was shown in Australia. I haven't seen any of the other versions and don't really want to, as just about everyone seems to agree the 1989 series was by far the best and most faithful to the book.
Rob Houghton wrote: It's a travesty that the BBC haven't released this on DVD...like they've only released 'The Enchanted Castle' in Australia! :-(
Ah, but Reader's Digest did... it's a very difficult DVD to get hold of (it comes in a double set with The Demon Headmaster), but I managed it some time ago!! :wink: I posted about it on the Philippa Pearce thread at the time. Well worth the money, too. It's a shame it hasn't been "officially" re-released by the BBC, but I guess there's still hope. :)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Tony Summerfield wrote:When I was trying to find BBC DVDs to see what else might have come out recently as well as Green Knowe, I came across this site.

https://store.bbc.com/childrens?page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'd love to see some of these programmes again, like The Swish of the Curtain and the 1970s The Phoenix and the Carpet, but I've never tried buying things as "downloads". Once bought, are they only stored on your computer and are they available permanently or only for a set period? Can they be saved to a pen drive?
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I was wondering that, too, Anita. I wouldn't want to buy episodes only to have them disappear. It seems downloads and streaming is the way of the future, but I personally want a good solid DVD in my hand and on my shelf! :-(
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

That which was lost is found! I was looking for a book to read next for my book at bedtime and I picked up Ordinary Jack which is the first of Helen Cresswell's Bagthorpe books and there underneath it was The Children of Green Knowe which has now jumped the reading queue! :D
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Hurrah! Happy Reading!

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Hope you enjoy it, Tony. :D
Society Member

Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

Still enjoying reading The Children of Green Knowe, I very much like the description's of the house (Green Knowe), in the Book.
Society Member
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

Rob Houghton wrote:I was wondering that, too, Anita. I wouldn't want to buy episodes only to have them disappear. It seems downloads and streaming is the way of the future, but I personally want a good solid DVD in my hand and on my shelf! :-(
I download lots of Videos, from quite a few different sites, and am able to burn them on to DVD-R discs, but no luck, with the BBC Store, the only series, I have bought so far, from the BBC Store, is The Swish of the Curtain, I downloaded the episodes, but can only watch them online, I am not able to burn the episodes on to a DVD-R disc.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I must admit I wouldn't know how to burn something onto a DVD-R disc, but it's a shame if the BBC downloads can't be saved in some way. After all, the BBC might decide to remove the episodes at some point in the future.

I hope you enjoy The Swish of the Curtain anyway, Billy!

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

It would put me off watching them - after all, I believe that when you pay for something, it's yours to keep! I hope this isn't going to become the 'norm' in the future - we pay for something but it never really belongs to us! :-(
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member