Lucy M. Boston

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Billy Farmer

Lucy M. Boston

Post by Billy Farmer »

I am sure there must be some members, on this forum, who have read some of Lucy M. Boston's, Books, I have got a copy of The Children of Green Knowe (a Book, which I have yet to read), the 1980's BBC TV version of The Children of Green Knowe, is one of my favourite children's Drama series, right up there, with Moondial and The Box of Delights, for a long time, I had a copy of The Children of Green Knowe, on a DVD-R disc (still have got the disc), but earlier, this year, I bought the official DVD release - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Children-Green ... reen+knowe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Lucy M. Boston

Post by Courtenay »

Ah, I didn't know it was available on DVD now — we recorded it on video when I was about 10 or so and it was shown on TV in Australia, not long after I read the book! I loved both the book and the BBC series.

Lucy M. Boston wrote several sequels to The Children of Green Knowe — the second was The Chimneys of Green Knowe, which I also read and enjoyed as a child, but I never got around to the rest of the series. You've inspired me to put them back on my must-read list, so thanks, Billy! :D

Is there anyone else here who's a fan of the books and/or the TV series?
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Thanks for pointing that out as I hadn't noticed it - I have just bought a copy on eBay! I also had a very poor unofficial copy which I bought some time ago on eBay, but I can't find it anyway now!

If you haven't ever seen it you might be interested in the DVD, From Time to Time, which is based on The Chimneys of Green Knowe. This came out as a film rather than a TV serial and it was written and directed by Julian Fellowes.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Of Downton fame? :wink: Yes, I just found out about that online — I was curious to know whether The Chimneys is still being published today, as one of the main characters, Jacob, is a young black boy who is brought from the West Indies as a companion for a blind girl in England, and although he's portrayed very positively in the book, I couldn't help thinking he might not pass the PC censors of today. He's certainly in the list of characters in the film, though, and the book seems to have been in print fairly recently, so that's encouraging. I will have to look out for the film as well, then! Thanks, Tony.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

Tony Summerfield wrote:If you haven't ever seen it you might be interested in the DVD, From Time to Time, which is based on The Chimneys of Green Knowe. This came out as a film rather than a TV serial and it was written and directed by Julian Fellowes.
I did buy the DVD, of From Time to Time, but have yet to watch the film, have you seen the film, Tony.

The film, has got a lot of reviews on Amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Time-DVD-Maggi ... me+to+time" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I must say, going by the DVD cover, Maggie Smith looks a good deal more stern and scary than I ever imagined Mrs Oldknow to be! :shock: :lol:
Society Member

Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Great news! I've been wanting to get The Children of Green Knowe on DVD for many years...so of course, I had to buy it! I bought it on Amazon...not very cheap, but I was in the mood to spend money! ;-) At the same time I also bought the original 1974 version of 'Carrie's War' - which was another big favourite of mine - though I think I must have watched a repeat, as I was older than 3 when I saw it!

Now all I need is to find the BBC series of 'The Machine Gunners' on DVD and I'll be happy! 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

I would like more than just that, Rob, I could do with some more Nesbit on DVD - and not just in Australia!

I do have four Green Knowe books, but they are all hardbacks in dustwrappers so I can't really say if they have been updated. I haven't read any of them yet as I still don't have The Children of Green Knowe!

Cancel that, I have just seen in my files that I have got that first book, but it isn't with the other four. :cry:
So all I am missing is the last book in the series of six.
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Tony Summerfield wrote:I would like more than just that, Rob, I could do with some more Nesbit on DVD - and not just in Australia!
Me too, in reality! I'm not sure exactly what is available, but I would like the first version of Phoenix and the Carpet, and Five Children and It. I already have the Enchanted Castle DVD from Australia! ;-)

There are so many others I remember as a child which I'd like on DVD...again - haven't looked to see how many of these are available....such as 'A Little Silver Trumpet', 'Lizzie Dripping and the Witch', 'The Swish of the Curtain', 'God's Wonderful Railway', 'The World of Johnny Briggs' to name just a few!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

The original book is well worth reading and savouring, Tony and Billy — it's beautifully written, full of atmosphere, and the illustrations are lovely too. As far as I remember, the TV series follows the book very closely (I haven't read /watched them in years!).

Now I'm thinking about it, one of the things I find appealing about the Green Knowe books — certainly the two of them that I've read — is that although the various characters from the past are essentially "ghosts" (which seems the wrong word to use for them), there's no sense of anything creepy or supernatural about their still being present at Green Knowe and able to interact with a child from "our" time. Toby, Alexander and Linnet in the first book don't haunt the old house because they died a tragic death there; it's strongly implied that they come back there from heaven whenever they want to because they love the place and still belong to it. There's a lovely sense of naturalness in the way Tolly gradually finds he's able to see and speak to them and befriend them. It's a quite beautiful work and one that I think easily appeals to a young reader's imagination — it certainly does for me.
Society Member

Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I loved the first book, but having tried reading some of the others, most notably 'The River At Green Knowe', I can't say I really enjoyed them. I remember the series on TV and funnily enough, despite being 15 when it came out, I seem to have been left with the (wrong?) impression that it was a bit creepy! :shock:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

When I was trying to find BBC DVDs to see what else might have come out recently as well as Green Knowe, I came across this site.

https://store.bbc.com/childrens?page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not really what I was looking for but I did notice The Swish of the Curtain here. I am sure there must be a proper BBC DVD shop somewhere!
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I see they've got Maid Marian and Her Merry Men. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Society Member

Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Thanks Tony! :-D

I'm tempted by Swish of the Curtain...and I'm pleased to see The Phoenix and the Carpet, which I though was available but wasn't sure...but what I would really love to see is A Little Silver Trumpet. Surprising this isn't available, especially as it had some notable actors in it, including Norman Bowler and Patsy Byrne. :-(

Last edited by Rob Houghton on 15 Jul 2016, 12:36, edited 2 times in total.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

I finished reading Ghost in the Water (Author - Edward Chitham), this week, and was going to make a start on Five Run Away Together, but instead, inspired by this Thread (which I started), I will make a start on reading The Children of Green Knowe, today.
Society Member