Ruth Rendell

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Billy Farmer

Ruth Rendell

Post by Billy Farmer »

I am sure there must be members on this forum, who have read some of Ruth Rendell's Books, I have never read any of Ruth Rendell's Books, but have enjoyed watching many TV adaptations of some of her Books, I bought a DVD Box Set, of the Inspector Wexford Mysteries (starring George Baker), from iOffer, I have also got the following DVD Box Sets - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Ruth-Rend ... th+rendell" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; https://www.amazon.co.uk/Barbara-Vine-I ... th+rendell" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are some interviews with Ruth Rendell, on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... interviews" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Ruth Rendell

Post by pete9012S »

Nice purchase Billy.

I received a very nice letter from Ruth Rendell around 1996.I was writing to her about her books and she replied that it was nice to get a letter from a reader of the books,as most letters she got those days came from those who had watched the TV series.

A very nice lady.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

I can't recall reading anything by Ruth Rendell :oops:, but greatly enjoyed the TV version of
Inspector Wexford with George Baker
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

pete9012S wrote:Nice purchase Billy.

I received a very nice letter from Ruth Rendell around 1996.I was writing to her about her books and she replied that it was nice to get a letter from a reader of the books,as most letters she got those days came from those who had watched the TV series.

A very nice lady.
Interesting post, Pete, have you ever seen the following site - http://inspectorwexford.info/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

No,thanks Billy it looks great thank you.
I'm an Inspector Morse fanatic too.The books primarily,but the TV adaptation with John Thaw was superb.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

With regard to mystery stories, I wonder if there is something wrong with me. Other than the Enid Blyton mysteries, I have had very limited luck reading adult mystery stories: I seem to get so confused about all the details of the story. The first symptom this produces is increasingly turning back the pages to re-read some earlier incident in the light of information I learned later, or just to remind myself of something (often after spending 10 or 20 minutes finding the earlier passage I wanted to read). Then later, I put off continuing to read, and then so much time has gone by and I've forgotten all the important details, and lost the plot entirely - in such cases, I would need to start all over again.
     So I read - would you believe? - 90 percent of Sue Grafton's "M Is for Malice", and at that point lost the plot, and have so far never come back. It was quite interesting, but I just couldn't seem to cope with all the interconnected detail.
     Then there was a Ruth Rendell I read (forget its title - would know it if I saw it, though), and it was quite interesting, the way it developed (although the sordid life-style some families apparently took for granted gave me quite a grimy, depressed feeling) - but about half-way in, again I lost it.
     Same with "Kidnap" by John Boland.
     The most recent case was just some months ago, where I started reading Dick Francis's "The Edge", because my mother had so strongly recommended this author. But I found it almost unreadable, and didn't have the faintest idea what was going on, or know what characters meant when they said something - I don't think I got more than a chapter or two in, and I had not the faintest idea what was going on. Yet my mother finds him extremely readable and approachable. It really makes me wonder what's wrong with me.
     I think I'm reasonably intelligent - yet I can't seem to cope with mystery novels. Is there something wrong about the way I approach such novels? In theory, at least, there are quite a few I'd like to read, based on plot summaries I've read.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

Tonight, I watched part one of the following three part series - http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0 ... detectives" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; the first episode focused on Detective novels, and Ruth Rendell, was one of the featured Authors.
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I've read (I think) all of the published titles in Sue Grafton's alphabet series. I can't say I had that much trouble following them (or no more so than any other book, mystery or other). I generally only have trouble if I've not paid enough attention - and missed a detail or perhaps misread one or two words.

In those cases sometimes I'll go back and try to find where I went wrong, other times I'll just keep reading in the hope that the solution explains it anyway.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

I enjoyed watching the following Screen Two production - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0140942/?ref_=fn_al_tt_5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; this afternoon, which was based on the Ruth Rendell novel, The Lake of Darkness.

Very good performances from Nicholas Farrell and Phil Davis.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

MJE wrote:     The first symptom this produces is increasingly turning back the pages to re-read some earlier incident in the light of information I learned later, or just to remind myself of something (often after spending 10 or 20 minutes finding the earlier passage I wanted to read).
Oh, me too, Michael! It isn't only mystery books, I constantly forget who is who. One advantage in reading on a Kindle is that there is a search facility, you just type the name in and you can see immediately who the person is!
Society Member