Jane Shaw

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Susie

Jane Shaw

Post by Susie »

I really like the Jane Shaw books, they are so funny, i can be on the floor laughing none stop. I especially like "the Susan books."
In fact some of her old books have just come back in print. (Bettany press)
Does anyone else like Jane Shaw? :D
Susie

Post by Susie »

No one?
Come on there must be someone out ther who likes the Jane shaw books?
There is always something else new to learn.
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Jane Shaw

Post by Daisy »

Here's another Susan fan. I have all but the scarce 3 and enjoy re-reading them when I want a good laugh. Have you read Alison Lindsey's Susan and Friends:The Jane Shaw Companion? It is published by the Bettany Press who have also reprinted the 3 rare titles.
lizzie farrel

Jane Shaw

Post by lizzie farrel »

I only got hold of one Susan book, 'Susan Pulls the Strings' but i remember i really enjoyed it. Another Jane Shaw book i loved was Crooks Tour, the adventures of a madcap trio. I don't know if these characters were part of a series or it was a one off book.

Another series i enjoyed were the 'jill' pony books by Ruby Ferguson i think. Even though i don't know anything about horses i enjoyed the story and the humour.

cheers
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

[Shagufta:] "Another series i enjoyed were the 'jill' pony books by Ruby Ferguson i think. Even though i don't know anything about horses i enjoyed the story and the humour."

I read the "Jill" books too, though I no longer have them and don't recall much about them now. From memory, they all seemed to involve Jill winning gymkhanas and doing a victory ride round the course with a rosette between her teeth! My sister and I would set up "jumps" in the garden, using buckets and brooms etc, and "ride" our spacehoppers round the course, pretending to be characters from the "Jill" books!

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Post by Kitty »

I love Jill, those books are such fun!

I've got lots of Jane Shaws, but I don't really like them - just bought them because they were cheap at jumble sales etc. I know loads of people do admire her, so I keep meaning to give them another go!
NaughtiestGirl

Post by NaughtiestGirl »

Are these boarding school stories ? What period are they based in ? (I'm interested in boarding school stories from before the 1980's-1970's).
Moose
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Moose »

two of them are boarding school stories .. I mentioned them on the thread you posted about boarding school books :). I love Jane SHaw! Haven't got the three scarce ones yet but I just found out they had been reissued and as soon as I have some money after the frenzied CHristmas spending I will be buying them!!
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

EF
NaughtiestGirl

Post by NaughtiestGirl »

Oops sorry Moose, I got so many recommendations on that thread I must've forgotten Jana Shaw's name for some reason :oops:

I did take a quick look at Amazon and most of what's available seems to be relatively 'expensive' vintage stuff ... Do you know if the most recent editions have been altered like the Enid Blyton books have from the 1990's onwards ? Thanks !
Moose

Post by Moose »

If they were expensive on amazon then you're being ripped off :). I wouldn't pay more than two or three pounds for most of them, and up to fifteen or twenty at the very max for the more rare of the 'commonly available' ones .. there are only one or two that I'd put in that category. Try ebay .. I got most of my copies for a pound or two each.
Time to die.

EF
Steve Alpe

Post by Steve Alpe »

As I was expecting my partner to put a reply on this (she is a member) which is why I have not replied. As her name is Susan she has just started to collect these books - I will show her your comments on the prices. Thanks.
Moose

Post by Moose »

I hope she enjoys them .. they're well worth reading :D
Time to die.

EF
Susie

Post by Susie »

The first time I came across Susan was in my school library, really that library is so old, and dead boring. One day I was just looking through as I was so board, and picked out a book that looked promising and it certainly was.
There is always something else new to learn.
Spaceflower

Re: Jane Shaw

Post by Spaceflower »

I have recently started to collect the Susan books translated into Swedish (the first 8 ones). Are the 3 latest hard to get? I though I'd try to get them in English, since they are not translated into Swedish.

The books are funny though Susan is pathologically helpful. I don't believe in helping people who don't ask for it. But of course, this is what makes Susan get into entertaining scrapes.

But I think that #5 (Susan goes to school) is really #2, b/c it is obvious that Susan arrives at St Ronans for the first time there.

(Trivia: In the Swedish translations, Susan is nn Fifi!)
Susie wrote:I really like the Jane Shaw books, they are so funny, i can be on the floor laughing none stop. I especially like "the Susan books."
In fact some of her old books have just come back in print. (Bettany press)
Does anyone else like Jane Shaw? :D
Moose

Post by Moose »

I am actually very like Susan - overly helpful ;). So I can empathise with her helping people who don't want to be helped and then being rebuffed.

I still haven't actually got the last three even though they have been rereleased!
Time to die.

EF