Memories of your first novel

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Memories of your first novel

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Hello everyone! I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I think I'll like to share with you all my memories of the first novel I ever read. This was Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens. I really like and still love this book as it was the first one to introduce me to real literature. Also it brings me back very happy memories. That's why Charles Dickens is one of my favourite authors.
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Memories of your first novel

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I love Charles Dickens too!

Regarding my first novel, if you mean the first long book I ever read which was divided into chapters it was The Enid Blyton Book of Brownies. I was surprised and excited when the story carried on and on because I'd read The Enid Blyton Book of Fairies not long before and that was a collection of short stories, so I thought Book of Brownies would be the same!

If you mean the first more "grown-up" book I read it was probably an Agatha Christie, but I'm afraid I don't remember which one.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Machupicchu14 wrote:Hello everyone! I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I think I'll like to share with you all my memories of the first novel I ever read. This was Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens. I really like and still love this book as it was the first one to introduce me to real literature. Also it brings me back very happy memories. That's why Charles Dickens is one of my favourite authors.
That must have been "Robinson Crusoe" for me which I read shortly before "Tom Sawyer". My Crusoe version was a nice green hardback copy from Bertelsmann, probably re-written for children, because in the original version the part of the book, before Robinson Crusoe finally reaches the deserted island, is quite long and tedious. I tried to read an adult version decades later, but never enjoyed it as much as my children's book version which has circa 200 pages.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I can't remember exactly, but I suspect mine was quite possibly The Enchanted Wood, closely followed by The Magic Faraway Tree and The Folk of the Faraway Tree! :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I really can't remember exactly what the first novel I ever read was - because I was always surrounded by books, and I can't always recall which books I read and which I had read to me. I know 'The Adventures of Binkle and Flip' was one of the first 'novels' I read - or maybe it was 'The Wishing Chair Again' - which was the first Wishing Chair book I read.

One of the first novels I definitely remember reading independently was 'The Enchanted Castle' by E Nesbit - one of my favourite books of all time. I also remember reading many children's novels about a lorry and it's driver - hardbacks with dust wrappers - when I was very young. I borrowed them from the library and read loads of them, but have never been able to find out what they were called!

As an older person, I think the first adult novel I ever read, aged about 13 or 14 was either 'Rebecca' by Daphne DuMaurier, or 'Cat Among The Pigeons' by Agatha Christie - both still two of my favourites. At school, one of the first novels I remember reading in English lessons was 'The Lord of The Flies' by William Golding. 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

My first novel would be Good Work Secret Seven. The first adult novel I read I'm fairly certain was The Satan Bug by Alastair MacLean.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

My first full length novel I read as a child was The Treasure Hunters. I was hooked after that.

As for my first adult read, can't remember what that was, obviously it didn't make such an impression on me! :lol:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

The Sea of Adventure was the first book I ever read on my own. I still credit it as the book which gave me the reading bug. It's responsible for a lifetime of literary pleasure and I still love it today.

I'm not sure which was my first adult book but it may have been either Treasure Island or Robinson Crusoe. And I still love both of them too.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

A very interesting thread! I find it intriguing that most people's first independently-read EB novel was usually one I would consider being for 'older children' - I didn't read any of the Adventure novels until I was maybe 9 or 10 and never read 'The Treasure Hunters' until about 15 years ago!

In most cases though, it seems Enid gave us our love of reading, whatever book it might have been! :-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Robert Houghton wrote:In most cases though, it seems Enid gave us our love of reading, whatever book it might have been! :-)
I whole-heartedly agree with that :)!
Before I discovered EB, I read rather boring stuff, classics like "Heidi", "Nils Holgersson", "The Langerud Children", "The Little Prince", a book on Mozart's life etc, but all that changed when my best friend lent me her brothers' FF volumes. It turned me into an avid reader.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Machupicchu14

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Enid Blyton is a fantastic writer, no doubt. But, I wouldn't say Heidi or the Little Prince are boring books. :shock:
Lev Tolstoy

Society Member
Machupicchu14

Post by Machupicchu14 »

As a fact I only rediscovered Enid Blyton about a few years ago. My sister used to read them when she was little, but at the time I couldn't really read, so when I moved house I quite forgot about them. Then I started reading them again and now they are my best friends!!
Also, it is curious how nearly everyone has grown with EB's books. I suppose they are the all time classics! :-)
Lev Tolstoy

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Machupicchu14 wrote:Enid Blyton is a fantastic writer, no doubt. But, I wouldn't say Heidi or the Little Prince are boring books. :shock:
Well, that's how I perceived them.
My dad absolutely loved "The Little Prince", but I guess with less than 10 years of age I just couldn't appreciate it.
But I never forgot one sentence from "The Little Prince": You can only see with your heart.
I enjoyed the Heidi movies, but not the two books.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I've always loved Heidi, which I read when I was little — first as a shortened Ladybird Book version (with beautiful illustrations), then later the full novel. The Little Prince I didn't encounter as a child, but I might not have appreciated it then anyway. I do as an adult. But we all have our own tastes. I'm possibly in the minority as an Enid Blyton fan who thinks the Famous Five are terribly overrated and has never been able to get into the Barney series! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I always used to feel the same about The Famous Five until I read them all in chronological order last year. I agree they aren't the best Blyton series, but I love the sunny holiday atmosphere, the feeling of freedom and the fun of the plots. I tend to look on the other series like Adventure and Barney mysteries as being quite serious, but the Famous Five as just being good fun! :-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member