Bobbsey Twins

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Paul Austin

Bobbsey Twins

Post by Paul Austin »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobbsey_Twins" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's interesting to note that, like Enid, the Bobbsey Twins books were re-edited and re-written to eliminate things that were perceived as racist/sexist or were simply dated. Some Bobbsey Twins books were felt to be so dated that they didn't even get the re-write treatment and were not reprinted at all.
"History is the parts of the past that the present finds useful" - Anon
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Bobbsey Twins

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

From the Wikipedia article:
The Bobbsey Twins and Baby May received what is regarded as the most extreme rewrite; it is a story about the Bobbsey family's adventures trying to find the parents of a foundling baby. Since, by the 1960s, modern social services had rendered the original story utterly implausible, an entirely new novel was written about the twins' adventures with a baseball-playing baby elephant (The Bobbsey Twins' Adventures with Baby May).
That reminds me of Enid Blyton's The Very Big Secret (1952), in which sister and brother Penny and Peter find a baby and care for it in secret (the baby had been popped into Penny's toy pram by its mother, who was feeling ill and wanted to lie down in the bracken for a rest). In a more recent edition of the book, the children find and care for a puppy instead.

Going back to the Bobbsey Twins, these days I expect the baseball-playing baby elephant would also be considered politically incorrect.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Several Bobbsey Twins books (and other works by Laura Lee Hope; (probably the most famous author who never existed) are freely available on Project Gutenberg, but I wouldn't advise anyone of a nervous, PC disposition to read them as they are the original text:

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/search ... bsey+twins" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Thanks Kate Mary.I was able to download the original 1904 edition of a Bobbsey Twins book.
I love old books like these much more than the sanitized pc books of today.

Praise and thanks to Paul also for providing information about them.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

pete9012S wrote: Praise and thanks to Paul also for providing information about them.
We are indeed fortunate to have such knowledgeable people contributing to these fora. I second your sentiment, Pete.

Incidentally, I loved reading The Bobbsey Twins as a child, and the alleged racism went over the top of my head. However, on a recent attempt at a re-read, it had lost its magic.
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

My children read some of the Bobbsey Twins and at that time I also read a few but they didn't really appeal. They seem to be very much the kind of book one does grow out of! Unlike Blyton of course.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

You've hit the nail on the head there, Daisy. Why don't we grow out of Blyton?

Paul starts many threads. Isn't it a shame he doesn't add some comments? They would be most welcome.
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I think Paul has clearly stated on numerous occasions that he likes to start an exciting Enid Blyton based topic off and then read everyone's else's opinions.

In this he reminds me very much of Henry Kissinger who said: "The task of the leader is to get his people from where they are to where they have not been."
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Paul Austin

Post by Paul Austin »

I first met a Bobbsey Twins book as a child in a time and a place that is long ago and far away. I really don't have much to say as it's been so long and i've been told most fans of the Bobbsey Twins are now in nursing homes and retirement villages.
"History is the parts of the past that the present finds useful" - Anon
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

Well I doubt being a Bobbsey Twin fan has contributed to that sorry state Paul! I guess you said that tongue in cheek though.
And Nigel, there are other authors I return to with pleasure - Malcolm Saville for example, but some do really just belong to childhood, I think.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I read quite a few Bobbsey Twins books as a child but I cannot remember anything about them. I suppose I'm ready for the nursing home, not because I read the books but because of my memory loss. :D
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I wouldn't know the Bobbsey Twins from a bar of soap, as they say where I come from, but it doesn't sound like I've missed that much.

Nice avatar from Paul for Australia Day there, I see, by the way. I hope that's authentic Aboriginal art on the map of Oz and not a cheap rip-off of Indigenous Australian culture. 8)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

I read a few as an adult John but have no recollection of any plot or adventure at all. As long as you can remember your Blyton stories I wouldn't worry too much!

Society Member
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

I thought the Australia map was attractive too - but the patterns remind me of Roman mosaics.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Very true, Daisy. Regarding Enid's, and Malcolm Saville's, books, my memory is excellent.
Society Member