John Masefield - Jim Davis

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

John Masefield - Jim Davis

Post by pete9012S »

Jim Davis is an ordinary twelve-year-old boy whose life takes a terrifying turn when he stumbles upon a ring of bloodthirsty pirates.At first, Jim delights in the thrill and adventure of sailing the seas and living the life of an outlaw. But Marah, the fierce buccaneer who leads the pirates, proves to be more dangerous than Jim first imagined. Will Jim find a way to escape from Marah ,or will he be lost at sea forever?
When I was little my Dad used to tell me adventure stories at night before I fell asleep.
He always ended each night's tale on a cliffhanger.

I distinctly remember a thrilling story he told me all about a young lad called Jim Davis which involved secret caves,escape,capture,treasure and adventure.

Just the other day I asked him if he had made the stories about Jim Davis up or were they from real books.
He then told me that his headmaster read the stories about Jim Davis to his class at school when he was about nine or ten.

Excited,I immediately had to track down a copy this book.
It was first published around 1911 and is available to read or download online via Project Gutenberg:

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/7369" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I want to read it in book form and have just purchased the 1947 edition- similar to the one pictured above in good condition with dust jacket for £5 inc delivery.

Anyone read/remember this book?

I'm quite excited as I haven't heard these stories for over forty years. I am dying to see how much I remember from my Dad's re-telling at night matches up with the actual book itself.

Just one slight problem. When my Dad saw it delivered in the post today he nabbed it quickly to read himself first before I can get my hands on it!!

Just spotted a 1911 1st edition @ £65.03 plus £15 postage.Wouldn't it be good if a really early dustjacketed Blyton could be bought for that sort of money!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/jim-davis-by- ... 419b0fab7a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: John Masefield - Jim Davis

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I haven't seen or heard of this book, Pete, but I like the dust jacket.

The old books with jackets always appeal to me, they just beg to be picked up and looked at I think, which is what I do when in second hand book shops and all those lovely dust jacket are smiling down at me. :lol:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

A selection of the various editions/illustrations since this book was first published back in 1911.My favourites are the illustrations towards the end in glorious full colour.

http://share.pho.to/9g84S" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Sounds like a cracking good story, Pete, and what marvellous illustrations! I'll start reading the online version of it some time, and if I enjoy it enough, I'll consider buying it in book form as well. But probably NOT a first edition (and probably not any time this year at least). 8)

Hope you enjoy it when you can eventually prise it out of your dad's hands!!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)