Mary Poppins

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Mary Poppins

Post by Courtenay »

Hope you enjoy it, Julie. :D I'd love to see Mary Poppins on stage myself one day.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

I will be going (with two family members) to Norwich Theatre Royal, this afternoon, to see the stage version of Mary Poppins, I am sure I will enjoy the show.
Society Member
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

I got home from Norwich, a while ago, I very much enjoyed the show, and the scenery was lovely.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I think this was probably the same touring production that I saw in Southampton with one of the Strallen sisters as Mary Poppins. I agree that the scenery was great as was the performance as a whole, but what wasn't quite as good was the sound which I hope was better in Norwich, but this wasn't the fault of those on stage.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I saw it years ago at Birmingham Hippodrome - around 2008 - and it was amazing. I think Scarlett Strallen was in it then, but now it's her sister. It's just been to Birmingham Hippodrome again with her sister in it - the tour that must now be at Norwich - but now at the Hippodrome we have Mamma Mia! :-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

You probably know this already, but in the original Famous Five dramatisations on cassette, Scarlett Strallen played Anne.

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... +320710%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In later audio versions Summer Strallen was in The Naughtiest Girl cast!

I have now seen all four Strallen sisters in stage musicals.
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

Tony Summerfield wrote:I think this was probably the same touring production that I saw in Southampton with one of the Strallen sisters as Mary Poppins. I agree that the scenery was great as was the performance as a whole, but what wasn't quite as good was the sound which I hope was better in Norwich, but this wasn't the fault of those on stage.
Zizi Strallen, was playing Mary, I didn't have any problems hearing the cast on stage.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Tony Summerfield wrote:You probably know this already, but in the original Famous Five dramatisations on cassette, Scarlett Strallen played Anne.

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... +320710%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In later audio versions Summer Strallen was in The Naughtiest Girl cast!

I have now seen all four Strallen sisters in stage musicals.
I have the 'full set' of dramatised Famous Five cassettes. Funnily enough, Scarlett Strallen does usually play Anne, but there are at least a couple (Five Go Adventuring Again and Five Fall Into Adventure) feature Scarlett Strallen as George!

I also have the dramatisation of The Naughtiest Girl with Summer Strallen as Elizabeth.

I think I've only seen two of the sisters - in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Mary Poppins and Top Hat. I only learned recently that they are the nieces of Bonnie Langford. :-)

8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

I saw Sasi Strallen about three months ago in a musical with the catchy title of Miss Atomic Bomb. She didn't have a very big part, and the star was Catherine Tate. I didn't know that Bonnie Langford was their aunt - or if I did I had forgotten like so many other things these days. Bonnie Langford is no longer the little girl that she found fame as - she is currently playing a grandmother in EastEnders!!
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Their mother is Cherida Langford, Bonnie's sister. :-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member