Detective Fiction - British Library Crime Classics

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Farwa
Favourite book/series: The Secret Island/Adventure Series/Famous Five
Favourite character: Anne Kirrin/Peggy

Re: Detective Fiction - British Library Crime Classics

Post by Farwa »

Carlotta King wrote:Thats what he DID say - he said he can't stand them, which means that he doesn't like them personally. Like when you tell us you can't stand alcohol.
I can't stand Thai food but that's just my opinion, I'm not insulting Thai people, I just don't like the taste of the food personally.
Well, I think it becomes discrimination because America is so huge, and he directly rejects each and every crime novel written there. Wording is very important. He should have clarified it in his comment with something like: " Until now I have not come across any good American crime fiction novels." Which means (and clarifies) that he would be willing to try some good ones. Just a nice way of being polite. Surely you won't mind me giving a nice suggestion on a friendly forum like this? If I start quoting you all, I am sure I would find suggestions you have given to others.

As for alcohol, it is a very far removed reference in this thread, and not liking alcohol and American novels are like apples and oranges, so I won't go in that subject.

I do not like to hurt anyone's feelings, however, and if Moonraker is feeling bad because of my comment, let me clarify I know you can not actually mean what you sounded like, but just wanted you to change the wording.

Let's move on with the topic now - Lenoir, I have a story by Rex Stout in my new book - which I mentioned earlier. I have not read it yet, but if I like it I will look for more stories by him. It is called, "The Christmas Party".
A day spent without a smile is a day lost.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I have read the Nancy Drew books and liked those, also the Three Investigators series too.

Farwa you don't have to take everyone's words so literally. No one is being offensive.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Farwa

Post by Farwa »

Have you read "Hardy Boys", Julie? If you have not, do read them - they are wonderful books!
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

I haven't read that particular book "The Christmas Story". I see it is a classified as a short story.
I am going to write down a few names I saw earlier in the thread and look in the library next time I go.
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

I bought all 6 books in the first batch published by British Crime Library for GBP16.99. Bargain, I would say. :D

I bought online from booksbundle UK. The link is provided below:

http://www.bookbundles.co.uk/john-bude- ... 6194-p.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Mavis Doriel Hay and John Bude are considered as second-tier GAD detective authors among GAD enthusiasts.

For those who want to sample great GAD fictions should find the books by Agatha Christie, John Dickson Carr, Ellery Queen, Christianna Brand, Ngaio Marsh, John Rhode/Miles Burton, Freeman Wills Crofts, Henry Wade, G.D.H. & M Cole, Anthony Berkeley, G.K. Chesterton, Austin Freeman, Dorothy L. Sayers and many others. But the names that I have mentioned are first-tier GAD authors as agreed by the majority of GAD fans. Most of the titles bythese authors have become available and can easily be purchased either in physical form or ebooks. They are abundant in used books market online. Some titles have become public domain.

Please let me know if you wanted recommendations for sample reading. I would be glad to help! :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

An interesting list. Thanks, Sixret.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Oh, these books so beautiful!! I'd love to get my hands on them!
Moonraker wrote:I have just downloaded The Cornish Coast Mystery to my Kindle for £2.99! :D
I think I'm finally going to have to quit whining and download the Kindle app, and start reading e-books. Lack of space and expense is really becoming an issue. I spent a small fortune last year on buying books I wanted to read this summer in Bangladesh from various bookstores in New York but I had to leave half my books behind in America because of weight restrictions. I'm actually glad I did, because I'm running out of shelving, but I'm sad I'm not going to get the chance to read them over this break and over term is certainly not possible.

Someone mentioned Hardy Boys... Strand Book Store did not stock Hardy Boys because apparently no one wanted to read them! I was a little disappointed. That store has 18 miles of books.

Society Member
Farwa

Post by Farwa »

Funny kind of store - the Hardy Boys books are available in even the worst bookshops near me! So big too - maybe they only keep latest books.
Ming

Post by Ming »

Nope - Strand has collector's items, first editions, new books,, the latest books, reprints, secondhand items, old newspapers, stamps... it's one of America's leading bookstores. I got a book printed in 1894 from there.

It's why not finding Hardy Boys really surprised me there.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I've often wondered how bookshops in Pakistan or Bangladesh compare with England's. Do you have multiples, or are they mainly independents?
Society Member
Ming

Post by Ming »

I think we have a mix of both. A few known names such as Boi Bichitra or Books and Books may be found in different cities around the country. A book store like Strand wouldn't last in Bangladesh based on expense - we had one called Words and Pages that only stocked the latest books, and all originals, and would cost over $10 at the very least. We're not willing to pay that much for books when you can get the same ones for much cheaper, sometimes for a dollar or two, in smaller shops. They'd be photocopied, of course. Words and Pages was very fancy and soon shut down because people simply were not going to patronize such an expensive store.

We have a region in Dhaka where there are book stores that sell good, secondhand books, photocopied ones, new books and a plethora of others. I say book stores but really they're just piles of books on tables under a 'roof' of waterproof plastic held up by wooden bars. That place is amazing to go to, and you can find books for very cheap. The selection, however, is limited if you're looking for English books that are not the latest one. They're all run by independent individuals.

What's it like in Pakistan, Farwa?

Society Member