Sheilah Beckett (1913-2013)A Fairy Tale Career

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Sheilah Beckett (1913-2013)A Fairy Tale Career

Post by pete9012S »

Whilst we are focusing on on some of the illustrators on the other threads, I enjoyed this article about the life and work of another children's illustrator,Sheilah Beckett. She lived a long life.(September 5, 1913 - November 17, 2013).

This blog was written in 2010 when she was 97,and is interesting to read the twist and turns her work took her over the course of her long career.
Sheilah Beckett: A Fairy Tale Career
On a sunny day in early April, 2010 I spent a delightful hour on the phone with a remarkable lady named Sheilah Beckett. Sheilah is 97 years old. Born in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada in 1913, Sheilah Beckett always loved to draw. She doesn't recall being inspired by the "Sunday Funnies" or any specific illustrators from her childhood but she does remember loving the artwork in her children's books and that those illustrations made a big impression on her.

Sheilah never attended art school... she is entirely self-taught. She began working immediately when she graduated from high school. Her first job was creating advertising artwork for a Portland area department store. From there she quickly moved on to Los Angeles and landed a contract to illustrate a series of Gilbert & Sullivan books.

I love this quote from Sheilah towards the end of the article:
Yes, believe it or not, for the last four or five years, Sheilah Beckett has been illustrating in Photoshop with a Wacom Tablet!

As we discuss illustrating with the aid of 21st century graphics technology, I have to pause and ask again, "Sheilah, how old are you... 96?" ... and she quickly corrects me with emphasis, "Ninety-seven!" I tell her, "Wow! I am just so incredibly impressed and inspired by you!"

"Well," says the remarkable Sheilah Beckett, matter-of-factly, "its my life and I love it."
http://femaleillustrators.blogspot.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

She has her own wiki entry too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheilah_Beckett" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like these two illustrations from the article:

If only we had as much info on the life and work of some of our favourite Enid Blyton illustrators!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Re: Sheilah Beckett (1913-2013)A Fairy Tale Career

Post by number 6 »

Awww..Bless her! A very talented Lady by the look & sound of it. I must be truthful & admit I've never heard of Her or Her work, but I shall definitely find out more about this remarkable Lady. She had a good innings, as well! Great article, Pete. :D