The Wartime Scrapbook - Compiled by Robert Opie

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Re: The Wartime Scrapbook - Compiled by Robert Opie

Post by floragord »

Poppy wrote:Thanks Julie and floragord! :D

Floragord: the museum that you mentioned in your post sounds absolutely fascinating. I'd love to visit it, if ever I happen to be going anywhere near Sussex. We have some excellent museums near us, too, which are lucky to be within distance of. For example: Eden Camp near Malton is an excellent source for war time knowledge - memorabilia, etc, is displayed within 33 huts which used to be a Prisoner of War Camp during the second world war. My friend and I visited late last year and it was an excellent, highly interesting experience.
I'm sure you'll enjoy it, Poppy, and Sussex too. Eden Camp sounds most interesting, we'll have to bookmark it for a visit.
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Thanks Walter and John! :D

Robert, the Remember When book looks lovely!
Eddie Muir wrote:There is an excellent Museum of Shops in Eastbourne in East Sussex. Click on the following link for details:

http://www.how-we-lived-then.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wow, that looks fascinating, Eddie! It looks a bit like a compact version of the old fashioned town at Beamish, a museum quite close to us. In the little town, there are so many different interesting shops and companies ranging from a dentist to clothes shops, stationary shops, sweets shops, and bakeries! It really is wonderful to explore.
floragord wrote:I'm sure you'll enjoy it, Poppy, and Sussex too.
I'll see if I can talk my Mum round! :lol:
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

floragord wrote: Highly recommended, Courtenay!, we were surprised how extensive the museum is, over several floors, prepare to clamber up and down tiny winding staircases :). They are open every day now, and have an amusing gift shop, sadly the cafe is no more. Lots of interesting video clips and experiential stuff, we were glad to have bags of time and eventually totter across the road to the fabulous Pilgrims Rest cafe, was part of the Abbey guest house back in the mists...
Sounds great! :D I have a friend who's just bought a flat in Hastings and is planning to lease it out some of the time for short-term holiday rental - she'll want to know about these sorts of attractions in Sussex too so that she can have brochures from them for guests to pick up.

I did visit the Pilgrims Rest for lunch when I was in Battle and very much enjoyed it, although their famous Welsh Rarebit was so huge I couldn't fit it all in!!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

I must try that next time round! I love their fire in the winter and herb garden in the summer, there's a super butcher nearby who does fabulous sausages, Battle Bangers and Dad's Army are our favourites though lamb with mint/rosemary are scrumps too - decisions, decisions :wink:
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.