The Great British Tuck Shop - Steve Berry & Phil Norman

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: The Great British Tuck Shop - Steve Berry & Phil Norman

Post by Rob Houghton »

I still eat a caramac bar occasionally - and yeah - they are very sweet. I'm surprised people seem to remember them as containing chocolate, as they don't - they are caramel flavoured candy. I know because the reason I've eaten them recently is that I can't eat chocolate due to migraines, so they make a change from other types of non-chocolate sweets.

I remember hedgehog flavour crisps and we ate them for a while until the craze died down and they disappeared. It was a bit like the bright blue jelly that came out at some point - blueberry flavour I think - it looked more like blancmange than jelly, and also didn't stay around long.

I remember the Noddy bars but more often I had the Rupert Bear ones...I think they were orange flavour? Also used to have Freddo Frog bars, and chocolate tools. :-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
burlingtonbertram

Re: The Great British Tuck Shop - Steve Berry & Phil Norman

Post by burlingtonbertram »

Robert Houghton wrote:Also used to have Freddo Frog bars, and chocolate tools. :-)

I still love a Freddo (25p now though). I used to mispronounce them "Fredo" (like Fredo Corleone in the Godfather), to the general merriment.
"The days are long, but the years are short"