Bill Badger Books (DJ Watkins-Pitchford).

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Bill Badger Books (DJ Watkins-Pitchford).

Post by Lenoir »

I used to get these books from the library as a child. I think my brother first discovered them first and then I started to read them too. A few years ago I came across “Bill Badger’s Winter Cruise” in a charity shop and I re-read it this week. What strikes me is how well he describes the countryside and sights and smells (from an animal’s perspective really). He creates the wonderful atmosphere of the cosy cabin, and life on the canal. In some ways comparable to "The Wind in the Willows".
The author, who used the name “B.B.”, illustrated the books.

The first book “Bill Badger and the Wandering Wind” has been reprinted so I bought it online at a reasonable price. But the others are difficult to get now, like the “Cherrys” books, and pricey.
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Re: Bill Badger Books (DJ Watkins-Pitchford).

Post by number 6 »

I can vaguely remember these books, a far off memory! I'm not sure, but correct me if I'm wrong, but was Bill Badger a spin off from the Rupert Bear books? I recall the Badger in RB books being called Bill as well. Knowing me, I've probably got two characters mixed up...again! :roll:
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Rupert's best friend was Bill Badger but the Bill Badger in BB's books was a different character. BB was a brilliant writer and I have read many of his books: Wild Lone: the story of a Pytchley Fox, A Summer on the Nene, and The Little Grey Men/Down the Bright Stream. Another excellent title of his is the story of a wild goose "Manka the Sky Gypsy".

BB's books all had this verse inside which he found on a gravestone:

The wonder of the world
The beauty and the power,
The shapes of things
Their colours, lights and shades
These I saw
Look ye also while life lasts.

It sums up Denys Watkins-Pitchford's
philosophy of life.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Oh, I see. Thanks for that, Kate Mary. :D
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Kate Mary wrote:BB's books all had this verse inside which he found on a gravestone:

The wonder of the world
The beauty and the power,
The shapes of things
Their colours, lights and shades
These I saw
Look ye also while life lasts.

It sums up Denys Watkins-Pitchford's philosophy of life.
That's lovely. It reminds me of Enid Blyton's plea to children to be "Eyes" rather than "No Eyes".

I haven't come across the Bill Badger books but I loved The Little Grey Men as a child. It was about gnomes Dodder, Baldmoney and Sneezewort - and their long journey to find Cloudberry. A gentle, touching story set in beautiful English countryside. As you said about the Bill Badger books, Lenoir, The Little Grey Men (and its sequel, Down the Bright Stream) also contained vivid descriptions of nature and some warm, cosy moments. I recall watching an animated TV series of The Little Grey Men in the 1970s and being enthralled by it.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

That is a nice verse. At the moment I'm watching out for the trees changing colour so I guess I can I identify with that to some extent.

There's a list of titles in one of my books but I haven't seen any of them. My copy of "B.B's Winter Cruise" is an ex school library book and bears a stamp "removed from stock". So I assume the libraries don't have them anymore either.
My paperback copy of "Wandering Wind" is brand new. I see they (Jane Nissen books) also reprinted another B.B. book called "Brendon Chase".