TC Bridges - The Bush Boys 1930

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

TC Bridges - The Bush Boys 1930

Post by pete9012S »

This looks good.
Anyone read it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-bush-boys ... 1761355930" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: TC Bridges - The Bush Boys 1930

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

No Pete! :lol:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

According to the description, this is "A story of the Australian desert" in which "Two boys in the outback meet aboriginals in an unusual adventure."

Well, I can tell you the spear-brandishing bloke in the cover illustration is no more an Aboriginal Australian than I am - he quite clearly has white skin and red hair, for crying out loud!! :shock: :roll: :P

One hates to think how much racism (the genuine sort, not the Noddy-getting-robbed-by-golliwogs sort) and generally bad stereotyping this book might contain, but I'm afraid I'm not willing to part with £38.50 (including the postage) just to find out.

Pete, maybe you could buy it and give us one of your excellent reviews? :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

The book's front illustration.I would like to read a cheaper copy.Don't think this books been edited. :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Re: TC Bridges - two other books.

Post by MJE »

I haven't read this, and am not interested enough to buy it at this price (or maybe any); but I have read two other books by this author: "The Secret of Smoking Swamp" and "The Secret of Sevenstones Key".
     They are both set in early-20th-century Florida, and are remarkable in their capacity to maintain high levels of excitement and plot twists almost beyond belief, and to sustain this credibly for 10 or more chapters at a time. Enid Blyton aside, they in fact influenced my own early attempts at story-writing and my attempts to maintain excitement and danger.
     There is just one reservation that may bother some: there are black characters in both, and they do to some extent display racial stereotypes that were probably completely true in that part of the world at that time but which may offend some now. But the characters themselves are sympathetic, likeable characters (even though they were servants), and are treated well by everyone except the criminals, who treat *everyone* who opposes them very badly - so no racial discrimination even on the part of the criminals - even though they are perfectly horrible.
     That possible reservation aside, both books are highly recommended. I can read them myself without being offended, bearing that historical context in mind.

Regards, Michael.
Last edited by MJE on 12 Feb 2015, 15:40, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I had a copy of Wings of Adventure many years ago but it seems to have disappeared from my book collection. I don't remember very much of the story now.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Courtenay

Re: TC Bridges - two other books.

Post by Courtenay »

MJE wrote:      There is just one reservation that may bother some: there are black characters in both, and they do to some extent display racial stereotypes that were probably completely true in that part of the world at that time but which may offend some now. But the characters themselves are sympathetic, likeable characters (even though they were servants), and are treated well by everyone except the criminals, who treat *everyone* who opposes them very badly - so no racial discrimination even on the part of the criminals - even though they are perfectly horrible.
That's very interesting and quite encouraging to know, Michael. It still leaves me wondering just how well this author knew Australia and whether or not he wrote about it and Australian people (indigenous or otherwise) with any kind of accuracy or believability, though! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
MJE

Post by MJE »

I can't comment on his knowledge of Australia; but the two books I know do seem to show a knowledge of Florida, at least - although I say "seem" because I have never been to Florida myself, and so can't judge how authentic the portrayal is. But there are lots of details about how life is lived, the weather patterns, and such, that *sound* very authentic. I believe the author was French, actually.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
MJE

Post by MJE »

Thomas Charles Bridges was born in France, and lived in Florida at one time - so books set there, at least, are very likely authentic.
     There isn't much to be found about him on the Internet, at least not quickly and easily. I did find these two web pages which may offer a little of interest on him:

Short article in the Encyclopedia of Science Fiction:
    http://www.sf-encyclopedia.com/entry/bridges_t_c

List of works
    http://www.librarything.com/author/bridgestc&all=1

Given that English was presumably just a second language for him, you would never guess this from the way the two books I have read are written.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Many of T C Bridges books were serialised in early editions of The Children's Newspaper. You can read them free of charge on their website,

http://www.lookandlearn.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Martin Crusoe begins in issue no 1.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Well, Thomas Charles Bridges is a very English name, so I would assume that even though he was born in France, his parents (or at least his father) must have been English - quite likely he grew up speaking both languages. Still leaves me wondering whether he ever visited Australia as well...
Society Member