Dan Dare

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Dan Dare

Post by pete9012S »

A very dear friend passed me his Dan Dare Interplanetary Stamp Folder this week for appraisal.
I wonder if any fans of Dan Dare would be interested in viewing it???

http://share.pho.to/7LTSk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I must admit I don't know a lot about Dan Dare being a Marvel/DC Comics Beano/Dandy etc man,but I learned a little more from Wikipedia..
Dan Dare is a British science fiction comic hero, created by illustrator Frank Hampson who also wrote the first stories, that is, the Venus and Red Moon stories, and a complete storyline for Operation Saturn. Dare appeared in the Eagle comic story Dan Dare, Pilot of the Future in 1950, dramatised seven times a week on Radio Luxembourg.

The stories were set in the late 1990s, but the dialogue and manner of the characters is reminiscent of British war films of the 1950s. Dan Dare has been described as "Biggles in Space" and as the British equivalent of Buck Rogers. Dan Dare was distinguished by its long, complex storylines, snappy dialogue and meticulously illustrated comic-strip artwork by Hampson and other artists, including Harold Johns, Don Harley, Bruce Cornwell, Greta Tomlinson, Frank Bellamy and Keith Watson.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Dare" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
burlingtonbertram

Re: Dan Dare

Post by burlingtonbertram »

Are those stamps actually stuck in the album or are they printed? One or two are a bit skew-whiff so I'm guessing they are stickers.

I remember buying a few editions of the relaunched Eagle in the late 80's and it was quite good. I don't really like comics / comic books because they always take about two minutes to read from cover to cover. Saying that, the relaunched Eagle was interesting though because (as I remember it) it felt quite retro and overall was quite good quality. I think I stopped buying it because my local newsagent stopped stocking it.
"The days are long, but the years are short"
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Yes,they are all authentic genuine stamps.
I passed the album back to my friend last night.

Interestingly,he told me the stamps were stuck into place using a special method that enabled him to remove the stamps if required without damaging them.
Perhaps that is why some of them don't look real as 'in the flesh' they are not stuck down firmly with glue/adhesive etc to the folder itself!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Aren't they called "hinges"?
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I was just going to suggest the same thing. I used to collect stamps and still have the album. Stamp hinges were the only recommended way to attach the stamps to the page. They peeled off easily without leaving a mark if you were very careful.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member