The most touching book you have read till date.

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: The most touching book you have read till date.

Post by Daisy »

I really enjoyed The Parent Trap when I first saw it with Hayley Mills in the role of the twins. I did see a bit of the later version but it wasn't as appealing to me. I have never read the book though - not sure I was ever aware there was a book!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Lindsay Lohan's version is a decent enough film I think but if you'd seen the Hayley Mills version first you'd probably think it not as good. I didn't know it was based on a book either.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Mehul
Favourite book/series: Secret Seven, Six Cousins and FFO
Favourite character: Peter, Roderick, Jack from SS, Susan etc

Post by Mehul »

I should think that the most touching book for me would be Ranjit Lal's Taklu and Shroom or Ruskin Bond's The Blue Umbrella (not the whole book actually but the line -
She left the old man with the umbrella, and went tripping down the road, and there was nothing between her and the bright blue sky.
That line really moves me whenever I read it. But for Taklu and Shroom the whole of it was quite emotional.
SPORTY EEL was here.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

The end of A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khalil Hosseini was very moving I thought. Other than that The Grapes of Wrath is one which is very touching.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Daisy wrote:I really enjoyed The Parent Trap when I first saw it with Hayley Mills in the role of the twins. I did see a bit of the later version but it wasn't as appealing to me. I have never read the book though - not sure I was ever aware there was a book!
I love the Hayley Mills, Maureen O'Hara version, managed to watch about 10 minutes of the remake before heading for the "off" button... I didn't know there was a book.
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Mehul wrote:I should think that the most touching book for me would be Ranjit Lal's Taklu and Shroom or Ruskin Bond's The Blue Umbrella (not the whole book actually but the line -
She left the old man with the umbrella, and went tripping down the road, and there was nothing between her and the bright blue sky.
That line really moves me whenever I read it. But for Taklu and Shroom the whole of it was quite emotional.
Ruskin Bond!, how that takes me back - he is a resident of Landour (Mussoorie) and recipient of the Padma Shri civilian honour award - the only other literary connection I know of is the famous novelist Anita Desai who was also born in Mussoorie
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Anne Henriette
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers / Twins of St Clare's
Favourite character: Sally Hope / H. Wentworth, Isabella O'Sullivan

Post by Anne Henriette »

I think two of the most touching books I've ever read were "Mon ami Frédéric" (My friend Frederick, original German title: "Damals war es Friedrich" published in 1961) by German author Hans Peter Richter which depicts the friendship between a boy who is an alter ego of the author and a Jewish boy named Friedrich during World War II. The second one is a 1992 published novel by Swedish author Peter Pohl: "Du fehlst mir, du fehlst mir" (I miss you, I miss you) and describes the painful new existence of a girl who lost her twin. Both are heartwrenching stories!
"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." (Joseph Addison, 1672-1719)
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

Mine would probably be Mud City, and The Book Thief.
You can call me Sunskriti!
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Mine are, (the ones I remember now)
The Book Thief
It was Midnight in Bhopal (I don't know the title in English)
Private Peaceful
And.....
The Man in the Iron Mask. :oops: OK, I know what you'll probably think but this book made me cry for hours.
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
deepeabee
Favourite book/series: The one I'm reading....
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville.

Post by deepeabee »

I agree with the Rubadub mystery being very touching, I also think Her Benny was heart wrenching but I think the most touching book I have read is Twopence to cross the Mersey. It was heart breaking.
SwatIsaid!

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I don't know what my "most touching book" ever would be, but now that this thread's come back up, I must put in a word for Listen to the Moon by Michael Morpurgo, which I read earlier this year. There's a heart-wrenching scene of tragedy and loss in it, and even though I twigged beforehand that it was going to happen — I won't spoil the plot, but it became clear a few chapters earlier what historic event this was based on — I cried when it got to that part. I don't cry too often with books (or movies), but I did with this one.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Stephen wrote: 15 Aug 2014, 09:51 'Dogger' by Shirley Hughes, where the little boy loses his cuddly toy at a jumble sale and then spots it up for sale. I can still vividly recall to this day how upsetting and scary that was to me as a child. And even though there's a happy ending, there was a pessimist in me even back then, because I'd be thinking what if this happened to me in real life and there WASN'T a happy ending?
I had never heard of this book until recently - it's really rather good.
You can glance over the pdf version for a little while here:

Dogger by Shirley Hughes pdf:
https://www.stgilesstgeorgesacademy.co. ... er-PDF.pdf
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

Thanks Pete,
and I agree that it really is quite good. Another similar book is the "Velveteen Bunny", but it is told from the perspective of the toy rabbit, which brought tears to my eyes, although it does have a happy ending!
Society Member
Aussie Sue
Favourite book/series: Secret Island, Faraway Tree & FindOuter Series

Post by Aussie Sue »

Heidi is the book that made cry, as a child, no matter how often I read it. I still love it and occasionally read it as an adult & it still makes me cry.
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

pete9012S wrote: 02 Nov 2021, 12:27
I had never heard of this book until recently - it's really rather good.
I absolutely love Dogger (and the rest of Shirley Hughes' books). I bought a copy of Dogger for Brodie before he was even born :D
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member