The House in Cornwall

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Moonraker

Re: The House in Cornwall

Post by Moonraker »

The thing I wondered about most was why Wish's parents had called her "Wish"
Maybe they had wished for a boy... :shock:

There are many (mainly foreign) names for a girl that mean wish or desire. Maybe Wish's parents went straight for the name.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Thanks, Anita, I'll seek that book out on Ebay.

I too thought Wish was an odd name, really, but as the author hadn't explained many things in that book, I wasn't expecting her to explain the name of Wish either! :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Well, Sorrel isn't exactly a usual kind of name either - not least because it's from a sour herb (and literally means "sour"!) :lol:

I've never heard of anyone in real life called Wish, but I can imagine "creative" parents picking it as a name. Names like Faith, Hope, Charity, Grace and so on were quite common years ago (when sounding appropriately churchy was more popular). I knew a couple once who named their son Dragon, and another couple who named their son Phoenix - both of which, to me, are just too cruel for a child to have to grow up with, but oh well...

I heard more recently of a lady (from the US) called Stormy, which apparently was her real name... if so, I can only imagine what kind of baby she must have been for her parents to call her that! :shock:

Oh yes, and years ago, I knew of a girl about my age whose first name was Precious - I never met her personally, but have always wondered how she must have endured the inevitable Gollum jokes. :mrgreen:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Domino

Post by Domino »

One of my possible ancestors (I can only trace my ancestry back to 1700 for definite) who lived in the 17th. Century, had the delightful first name of Doubtnot. I think she must have been a Puritan.

Dave
He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green.

Society Member