Homage to Enid Blyton?

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Michael42

Homage to Enid Blyton?

Post by Michael42 »

Link to Book

Does that front cover look familiar to you? A friend linked me to it the other day. I started reading the sample just out of interest, and hmm, it's a BIT different from the original (to put it mildly). Definitely not for children. It seems to be touching on some pretty modern issues. Anyway, I was just wondering if you folks had noticed it or not.
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Homage to Enid Blyton?

Post by Wolfgang »

The author is an anagram of Enid Blyton which I doubt is coincidence. It wouldn't be the first author though who was inspired by Blyton or used her methods.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Obviously a self published book, poking fun at the original Blyton Books. Foul language, not my cup of tea at all!!! Doubt if a 'proper publisher' would have published it!!!

That's the trouble these days, anyone can publish their own rubbish!! :twisted: :roll:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I agree with everything you say, Julie. A sad sign of the times. :(
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

How pathetic.

There really should be some sort of rules about what can be self-published, someone should inspect the books first to see if they're ok!
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Read the first two chapters. Can't say I thought it was very good. I'm not one to be offended by bad language but some of it felt rather unnecessary. Fair enough if the characters swear a bit in dialogue but these three did nothing but swear, and then there was more swearing in the narrative and even in the chapter titles. Like it was trying to be as offensive as possible.

Interesting idea and I thought it had some good points, but it doesn't seem very well though out or proof read.

Jay is clearly Julian, Rick is Dick and Anya Anne. But Uncle Quentin is still Quentin, but now he's an astronomer.

I couldn't work out the relationship between the three, as they said "half brother" and "step brother" almost interchangeably but they don't mean the same thing. And there were some ugly grammar errors. Shan't be buying it even if it is only £1.23 as I don't think I'm going to like the characters at all, they are not how I imagine a grown up Five, even in modern days and considering I've written plenty of fanfic where they do swear.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Michael42

Post by Michael42 »

Oh dear, a lot of hate for it here! I wasn't sure about it at first, but I do enjoy some 'overly offensive' things. I'm not sure if I saw it as poking fun of Enid Blyton, though. At least not in a mean way. I doubt there'll be much interest in it tbh.
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I think it's awful. It has no merit whatsoever. Utter drivel.
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I agree John. It looks awful and reading it is truly painful. A horrible travesty. I had no desire to read further than the first few paragraphs.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

That's one of the down sizes to self publishing, I think. A book or kindle etc doesn't have to be any good. Where as a publisher is more fussy on what they take. Any old rubbish is published these days, as long as you are prepared to pay for it yourself!!! :roll:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Urgh... no, wouldn't call this "homage". Trying to be smart and failing spectacularly, more like. :?
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

The first sentence was enough for me. I would think Hodder might be interested in this. Michael42, you're not connected to this book are you? I see there's a 5 star review - I guess that's written by the author.
Society Member
Michael42

Post by Michael42 »

I'm not connected to the book, but I *think* it was written by someone that the person who linked me to it knows. Not sure. I guess you lot just aren't the kind of people who'd be able to see past its flaws. Since I'm genderqueer/trans myself I found the central conflict therapeutic. I've actually been able to talk about it to some people recently. Oh well i will go elsewhere.