Robert Swindells

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
kirstymaclaren

Robert Swindells

Post by kirstymaclaren »

Has anyone read any books by Robert Swindells? He is an excellent author of children's books, but I only discovered him as an adult. He wrote an excellent book called 'Brother in the land' about life after a nuclear bomb which I highly recommend. A lot of his books are about time travel, invisibility, ghosts etc.

He writes books for teenagers too, tackling gangs, violence, alcohol, homelessness etc.

He also wrote a series of books called 'the outfit' about a group of kids who form a club and solve mysteries - they remind me a bit of the secret seven. Yes, they also have a dog!
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: Robert Swindells

Post by Daisy »

I haven't come across this author but it sounds as if I should be looking out for his books. Thanks for the recommendation Kirsty.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Re: Robert Swindells

Post by Ming »

I've read Stone Cold which I enjoyed tremendously but also found shocking and saddening. I've also read Abomination and Hydra, I think? They were recommended reading for English classes. I read them in Grade 9 so can barely remember anything - in fact, I'd forgotten the name Robert Swindells and couldn't for the life of me remember who he was until you mentioned Stone Cold!

Certain details about Stone Cold are coming back to me now - I remember feeling particularly touched when Carole buys Link a sleeping bag, but also saddened by the finality of it; SPOILERS Gail turning out NOT to be a homeless teen; I also felt sorry for Shelter and the ridicule he faces after his injury, I think?

I didn't much like the ending, nevertheless, it was a wonderful read.

Society Member