Elizabeth Peters

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Elizabeth Peters

Post by Carlotta King »

I enjoy reading Elizabeth Peters, has anyone else ever read any of her books?

She writes murder mysteries that are set in Egypt, in the Victorian era.

Her heroine is a Victorian lady called Amelia Peabody, the wife of a famous egyptologist called Emerson Peabody, and they live in England but spend most of their time in Egypt on excavations and expeditions (she is passionate about Egypt too), and there are always plenty of colourful, eccentric characters and a few murders.

Amelia is described as a 'female Indiana Jones', she is brave, outspoken and feisty and it is she who investigates and solves the murders, while her husband busies himself with his work and is sometimes mildly irritated (but in an amused, loving way) by his wife's investigations and interfering with the suspects.

Emerson is also a really amusing character, he is stubborn, and bellows when he talks but doesn't think that he does, and always has to buy new shirts after he takes his own off because he just rips them off without caring and all the buttons fly off. :)

They are such great books, full of mystery and intrigue and your usual host of strange suspects (I know some people see that as predictable and 'another country house mystery' etc but I love to sit down with a book that's full of murder and a house full of eccentrics).
Her second book, The Curse Of The Pharaohs, is outstanding. :)

I can't stand all this fluffy 'chick-lit' stuff that fills up every shelf in every bookshop, with their arty-farty covers and tales of 30-something city women trying to find Mr Right, or struggling with relationships - I would much rather read a good old murder mystery or a non-fiction book about foreign lands or wildlife! :)
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Rebeccadanielle
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers, St. Clare's,

Re: Elizabeth Peters

Post by Rebeccadanielle »

I haven't read any yet, but after I saw your post I decided that I wanted to try them out. Thankfully my local library has all but two of the books, so tomorrow I plan to pick up a couple to try them out. :D
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

Great, I'm glad I've inspired someone to read them, I'm sure you'll love them! :-)
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Post by Aurélien »

And, as well as being entertaining reads, the Amelia Peabody Emerson series also give a number of entertaining insights that come under the heading
  • HOW AN ASTUTE WIFE CAN
    MANAGE
    HER MAN!
Whilst letting the poor sap think that he is really in charge, naturally. :lol:

Old stirrer, 'Aurélien Arkadiusz'