Terry Deary (Horrible Histories)

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
secretbear27
Favourite book/series: malory towers
Favourite character: Darrel and Felicity Rivers!

Terry Deary (Horrible Histories)

Post by secretbear27 »

I am thinking not many people have read Terry Deary's books.He wrote horrible histories . :mrgreen:
Last edited by secretbear27 on 12 May 2013, 12:33, edited 2 times in total.
I have always liked Enid!If I could choose one author to come back to life it would be her!
Katharine

Re: Terry Deary!!

Post by Katharine »

I've never read them myself, but my son has a whole shelf full of them, as well as Horrible Science and various other similar books.
Society Member
honesty
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George Kirrin/Julian/Timmy

Re: Terry Deary (Horrible Histories)

Post by honesty »

Yes, I know them!!! I look for his books in the public library fro time to time!
“If you can't look after something in your care, you have no right to keep it.”-Enid Blyton
“I think people make their own faces, as they grow.”-Enid Blyton
number 6
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Oh yes! I bought the set for my Nephew, but ended up reading them all before he did! The Author makes History fun & enjoyable to read. :D
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

I adore the TV series - but I hear that they've run out of horrible history and won't be making any more programmes :shock:

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
secretbear27
Favourite book/series: malory towers
Favourite character: Darrel and Felicity Rivers!

Post by secretbear27 »

They just made 5 new episodes
I have always liked Enid!If I could choose one author to come back to life it would be her!
ledzep93
Favourite character: Timmy

Post by ledzep93 »

I never read the books but I loved collecting the magazine/trading card collection they did a few years back. :D
"I'll send you a telegram if I see a small, big boy with blue eyes, fair hair - and how many fingers did you say?" said Robin

The Boy Next Door
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I liked some of these when I was younger. I remember having quite a few - Blitzed Brits, Georgious Georgians, Terrible Tudors, Angry Aztecs, Slimy Stuarts, Vile Victorians and Measly Middle Ages.

I particularly liked all the illustrations and the humorous speech bubbles.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

We had several in our school library when I was teaching. My particular favourite, of which I have a copy, is The Vile Victorians. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Rebeccadanielle
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers, St. Clare's,

Post by Rebeccadanielle »

Back when I was a kid I collected the magazines that came out. I didn't get them all. I still have the cards you could get with them, and the little tin too. :)

My sister and I both read the Horrible Histories books when we were kids, and we would watch the first Horrible Histories TV show, which is no where near as good as the one that is on now. I absolutely love the new TV show. We own a couple of the books and I flick through them every so often. They're very popular books where I live, they're always being borrowed from the library.
deepeabee
Favourite book/series: The one I'm reading....
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville.

Post by deepeabee »

I LOVE the horrible history books. 8)
SwatIsaid!

Society Member
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

It's interesting that three of the people writing in this discussion mention borrowing Terry Deary books from libraries. He made some rather negative comments about libraries earlier this year most of which are reported here http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/fe ... erry-deary" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . I wonder what people using this forum think of his views.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks for the link, Ivan. I've read Terry Deary's horribly belittling remark about Enid Blyton before - "...writers aren't Enid Blyton, middle-class women indulging in a pleasant little hobby. They've got to make a living." Eek - I'm sure Enid would have something to say about that!

As for Terry Deary's comments on libraries, doesn't he realise that libraries are responsible for turning many people into lifelong readers and book-buyers?! Perhaps a compromise would be for books to become available in libraries only after they've been out for a few years, rather than straight after publication?

I have to say my children loved his Horrible Histories books (I read a few myself as well) and my son also enjoyed the TV series.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Danger Bird
Favourite character: George Kirrin

Post by Danger Bird »

Does he really think that if it weren't for libraries, all those people borrowing his books would buy them instead? I'm afraid it doesn't work like that.
I can't afford to buy all the books I read. If I had to buy every book I read, I certainly wouldn't be taking chances on unknown authors. As Anita pointed out, libraries help encourage people to become lifelong readers.
Danger bird, he flies alone and he rides the wind back to his home
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Re:

Post by Carlotta King »

Crikey I wouldn't exactly describe Enid as 'indulging in a pleasant little hobby' - that description would be more suited to someone who writes the odd thing very occasionally (and even then I wouldn't use it myself as I find it very patronising!)

He is making it sound as if libraries are givng books away for free, to keep! The whole point of the library is that you take the book back!
What is wrong with reading a book and finding out that you like it and then buying the rest?

Or would he rather people just parted with their money regardless of knowing whether they will even like his books (especially children) - could he sleep well at night knowing that his pockets were being lined with money that people had spent in good faith and then discovered they didn't like his book and had wasted their money?

If I was an author I would much rather have less money and know that people were buying my books because they genuinely liked them (and had perhaps already read some from the library) than knowing that half my readers had no idea if they would like my book and then were disappointed and had wasted hard earned cash.

I love visiting my library and getting a big pile of great books! I read a lot of non-fiction and wildlife/nature books and those kind of big books are very pricey in the shops, so there's no way that I would be able to afford to read them if my library didn't exist.

What an awful attitude for a writer to have.
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member