George Orwell (1984/Animal Farm)

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: George Orwell (1984/Animal Farm)

Post by Eddie Muir »

joanne_chan wrote: We did both for our course and I read separately most of his other works like Burmese days, Homage to catalonia and The Road To Wigan Pier.
Later at university I read most of George Orwell's books, and enjoyed doing so. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Animal Farm was one of my two favourites books (the other being Lord of the Flies) that I studied at school. On the one hand, you've got a captivating modern fairy tale, and on the other you've got a 1940s satire that apparently upset a lot of people at the time. Very educational too. Up until the time my teacher was discussing it with us and who the characters were supposed to represent, I had never even heard of Trotsky! And I didn't realise Lenin was as historically significant as he was.

I've never got round to reading 1984 - although I think the John Hurt film is one of the most depressing things I've ever seen!

Incidentally, I wonder how many people who are familiar with "Big Brother" know where the term actually comes from?
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

I also did those books at school and re-read them some years ago. I found Lord of the Flies to be gruesome when reading it again. Animal Farm is brilliant and is still relevant today.
I can think of a country that 1984 might apply to nowadays.
ledzep93
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Timmy

Post by ledzep93 »

I've yet to read 1984, but I've read Animal Farm and really enjoyed it.
"I'll send you a telegram if I see a small, big boy with blue eyes, fair hair - and how many fingers did you say?" said Robin

The Boy Next Door
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure
Favourite character: Anne

Post by RDMorrell »

I studied Animal Farm in fifth-form English and Nineteen Eighty-Four in sixth-form English. There are a number of books I read at school only because I had to study them and wouldn't go back to again in a hurry. But there are three I genuinely enjoyed studying and have subsequently bought to read for pleasure: one was The Diary of Anne Frank and the other two were the above Orwell novels.

Animal Farm is a brilliant little analogy and you can recognise many tactics and tricks of politicians in the things the pigs get up to. Nineteen Eighty-Four is pretty dark, it is true, but is eerily accurate in some respects. This book gave us such great words as Newspeak and Big Brother (as in "Big Brother is watching you"). The ending is probably the most depressing bit. I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it, but it's a bit of a kick in the guts, in a way. As with Animal Farm though, it offers excellent insights into how tyrannical governments work, and especially how they control and manipulate people. Indeed, sometimes one can recognise Orwellian tactics even in more democratic governments. And I think it is these kinds of insights that make both books such first-rate reads overall.
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero
Paul Austin

Post by Paul Austin »

I've gotten around to writing a story set in the nineteen eighty-four world some 20 years after Winston's execution. I explore the sordid reality of Airstrip One through the eyes of one of the children. I've always pondered the macroscale of the world of nineteen eighty-four. It's governments, its policies, and its social catastrophes. in film and lit unit we've had several long discussions on Newspeak, on how nineteen eighty-four would play out after Winston's execution--and not one of my classmates thought about the children in the nineteen eighty-four world.
"History is the parts of the past that the present finds useful" - Anon
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

All I remember about children in Nineteen Eighty-Four is that they belong to youth groups and are encouraged to spy on adults and report them to Party officials if they fail to toe the line. Some children even report their own parents. Quite chilling.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

I have read Animal Farm. I think it is a very good book, and I like especially the end. What I couldn't believe is that George Orwell based the character of Napoleon on Stalin. Very interesting. :D
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Paul Austin

Post by Paul Austin »

Animal Farm and Nineteen Eighty-Four were intended to be the first two parts in a trilogy. The third book was never written.
Paul Austin

Post by Paul Austin »

At a talk held by the Orwell Society it was pointed out that the Party of 1984's editing of history happens in the real world. The example given by the speaker was that many Bangladeshi's are surprised to find out that their country was once part of Pakistan.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I watched the John Hurt film last night, and now I seriously intend to give Nineteen Eighty-Four the novel a go. I have started it a few times, but always get distracted.

Incidentally, a few weeks ago I was trying to explain to a twentysomething friend and Big Brother enthusiast where the term actually comes from - and she didn't even appear to believe me at first! Kids these days, and the standard of education and basic general knowledge since I left school...
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

The storyline and concepts are fascinating, though I find the structure of Ninteen Eighty-Four a little frustrating because there's a whole chunk of text which takes the reader out of the story and into the politics and philosophy that have shaped the society. Much of what is stated in that section has already been implied by the events of the narrative.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member