George Orwell (1984/Animal Farm)

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Paul Austin

George Orwell (1984/Animal Farm)

Post by Paul Austin »

Anyone here study the works of George Orwell in school?
"History is the parts of the past that the present finds useful" - Anon
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: George Orwell (1984/Animal Farm)

Post by Eddie Muir »

Animal Farm was one of my set books for GCE 'O' level English Literature.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

No but I have read all of his full length books with the exception of Homage to Catalonia which I really must get around to.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Paul Austin

Post by Paul Austin »

I'm working on a 1984 fan-written story. It's set about 20 years after Winston's execution.
Domino

Post by Domino »

Is he re-incarnated as James Cagney? Does he say, "OK, you dirty rats!"? :lol:

Domino
He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I had to read Animal Farm as one of the books for my C.S.E exams. It wasn't the best of books I must say, but I read it as we had too. But funnily enough on my English Literature exam I chose to write about that book as if I were one of the animals, and I actually got grade A for it too. I was quite surprised! :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I love Animal Farm and have read it several times, though nothing beats the impact of the first reading. I've also read 1984 three times, my first reading being in 1984. I have to be in the right mood for it as it's so depressingly dark.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I've never read either book, but after Anita's comment I'll definitely not be reading 1984. That year was one of the best years of my life, so I don't think I would it to be spoilt by reading something 'so depressingly dark'.
Society Member
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I love Animal Farm and have read it several times, though nothing beats the impact of the first reading. I've also read 1984 three times, my first reading being in 1984. I have to be in the right mood for it as it's so depressingly dark.
First, I have seen the cartoon movie: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_Far ... 54_film%29 from VHS. My father made a copy for us. - Can not say how old I was exactly, but circa 8, 9 or 10. I had seen it more than one time in this time, but it was so sad. The poor friend of the donkey (Benjamin) the horse and so on and the horrible end with the pigs, and Napoleon as the head of them --- but must say it was one of the important films I have seen in this time. Would say it's not a film, I can say I like it, because the content is so sad and maybe it's not the correct word ..., but it's a great and fantastic and positive film and story, gives important views, thoughts, impressions to the viewers and readers. I mean the film was really impressive for me, so I thought years after it from time to time about it, especially the bad words and the bad intention of it: "but some are more equal than others" -- Later I got the english book in my hand, and later saw a new adaptation, but the cartoon is more in my mind.
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

Katharine wrote:I've never read either book, but after Anita's comment I'll definitely not be reading 1984. That year was one of the best years of my life, so I don't think I would it to be spoilt by reading something 'so depressingly dark'.
I would say 1984 would be more in the near of the year 1948 ==> 1944; George Orweill means a fictional date in a horrible time with political totalitarianism. 1984 was also a fictional date like the year 2000 in the 80s and 90s. So 1984 is a synonym for in the near future and today a better title would be maybe 2048 for it, I suppose; but the real year 1984 was really a good year for me, also..
Last edited by Soenke Rahn on 25 Apr 2013, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Thanks for the explanation Soenke, I think I'll probably not read the book though. I like nice safe stories like Enid Blyton best. I thought your description of Animal Farm very interesting too, I don't think I could bear to read that either from the sound of it.

If I read anything upsetting I find it very difficult to get rid of the image from my mind.
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I've not read either or those but I did see a stage play of 1984 when I was in high school. I found it rather disturbing and unsettling (mostly the repeated projected footage of blood splattering the walls of a shower cubicle etc implying off-screen violence/torture). I couldn't tell you the plot at all.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Paul Austin

Post by Paul Austin »

"You are a slow learner, Winston," said O'Brien gently.

"How can I help it?" he blubbered. "How can I help seeing what is in front of my eyes? Two and two are four."

"Sometimes, Winston. Sometimes they are five. Sometimes they are three. Sometimes they are all of them at once. You must try harder. It is not easy to become sane."
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Yuk, thanks for the warning Fiona. I think I'll be quite happy to give the book a miss then. I know I'm extra squeamish, but I really do wonder why teenagers are forced to study such awful books? I'm sure I've mentioned elsewhere, but my son has had to study The Boy in the Stripped Pyjamas twice, and was disturbed the first time he heard it at primary school. Several of the girls in his class cried.

I found most of the books we had to study at high school disturbing. Although from the sounds of it, I should be thankful I didn't have to study George Orwell.
Society Member
joanne_chan
Favourite book/series: The Naughtiest Girl, Malory Towers, Famous Five
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen

Post by joanne_chan »

Eddie Muir wrote:Animal Farm was one of my set books for GCE 'O' level English Literature.
We did both for our course and I read separately most of his other works like Burmese days, Homage to catalonia and The Road To Wigan Pier.