The Outlander Series

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
corkontheocean
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five, Adventure Series
Favourite character: George, Dick, Jack Trent, Barney

The Outlander Series

Post by corkontheocean »

Has anyone else ever read this series of books by Diana Gabaldon? They were recommended to me by a friend a few years ago and I was a bit unsure as they're not the sort of thing I would usually read but I'm hooked and have read them 4 times now, and have started for the fifth time in preparation for the release of Book 8! To anyone who hasn't read them I highly recommend them - it is rather difficult to classify it as one genre, but I can describe it as romantic historical fiction, with elements of science fiction (time travel is involved! Which is the main reason I decided to give the books a go!) but even that doesn't begin to describe how awesome the series is. All I can say is try them, you won't be disappointed!
"If anyone's on my island," began George, looking very fierce and angry, "if anyone's on my island, I'll-I'll-I'll-"

"You'll explode and go up in smoke!" said Dick.
deepeabee
Favourite book/series: The one I'm reading....
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville.

Re: The Outlander Series

Post by deepeabee »

I think my sister recommended I read them but I'm afraid I haven't got round to it yet. :oops:
SwatIsaid!

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Your description makes it sound very much like the TimeRiders series by Alex Scarrow that I am reading at the moment. I am on book 7 now and we have just got involved in the 1666 Great Fire of London. It is brilliantly put together as a series and things that were just hinted at in early books become much clearer as you read on. He releases two books a year, so I can look forward to another one in a few months.

I have not heard of The Outlander series, I will have to investigate further.
corkontheocean
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five, Adventure Series
Favourite character: George, Dick, Jack Trent, Barney

Post by corkontheocean »

You won't regret it when you do get round to reading them, trust me!

Tony - it's well worth looking for, I can't judge on whether it's anything like the TimeRiders series you mentioned as I haven't read them but I do think you will find Outlander interesting.
"If anyone's on my island," began George, looking very fierce and angry, "if anyone's on my island, I'll-I'll-I'll-"

"You'll explode and go up in smoke!" said Dick.
Enikyoga

Post by Enikyoga »

corkontheocean wrote:Has anyone else ever read this series of books by Diana Gabaldon? They were recommended to me by a friend a few years ago and I was a bit unsure as they're not the sort of thing I would usually read but I'm hooked and have read them 4 times now, and have started for the fifth time in preparation for the release of Book 8! To anyone who hasn't read them I highly recommend them - it is rather difficult to classify it as one genre, but I can describe it as romantic historical fiction, with elements of science fiction (time travel is involved! Which is the main reason I decided to give the books a go!) but even that doesn't begin to describe how awesome the series is. All I can say is try them, you won't be disappointed!
Yes, I have heard of Diana Gabaldon. In fact her family is an institution here in Flagstaff, Arizona. I presume she was born and raised here, initally. Thus, she attended the same former alma mater, like myself, Northern Arizona University. Although I have never read any of her books and neither have I met her, face-to-face, I have seen her being interviewed on TV several times. Her late father, Tony Gabaldon was an Arizona state senator from Flagstaff. In fact, one of the resident halls at Northern Arizona University, Gabaldon, is named after Dad. Her Outlander series made her an established writer. She has been on New York's best-selling list for a couple of years/decades. It was rumoured that some of The Outlander books would be turned into movies. I do not know whether that intention is still on track. Since most of the Outlander books are set in Britain, I have seen photos of her standing beneath The Stonehenge.
http://dianagabaldon.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_Gabaldon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Gabaldon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stephen I.
bzjane

Post by bzjane »

I'M an avid fan of the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon and I also really like the spin off Lord John series. I was amazed to discover that Diana Gabaldon wasn't Scottish because her mastery of Scottish dialect is superb ! The whole concept is a bit crazy but it works. I love the combination of history, time travel ,a bit of supernatural and the sheer readability of these books. I would also highly recommend "A Discovery of Witches" by Deborah Harkness. 8)
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I'm wondering if I should read the books first or watch the tv adaptation??? :?
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
shadow
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery / Mary Pollock / Adventure Series
Favourite character: Kiki / Loony

Post by shadow »

I started watching the TV series and decided to read the books. Gave up reading half way through book 3, just couldn't get into them. I watched all the TV series on Amazon prime but the latest one is only on Starz which you have to pay extra for :cry:
If I could live here on this secret island always and always and always, and never grow up at all, I would be quite happy
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Thanks Su - I will approach with caution!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I watched season one, then started reading the books. I think I'd then read book two before season two and so on, and I've now read all the books. Thankfully I only discovered the show/books in 2018, as I can't imagine how long time fans managed the wait between books 8 & 9 to be honest!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member