Any Kenneth Grahame fans about?

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
ledzep93
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Timmy

Any Kenneth Grahame fans about?

Post by ledzep93 »

Hi guys :)

I was just wondering if there are any other Kenneth Grahame fans on here, beside me. He's most known for writing Wind in the Willows but he wrote a small amount of other books too, and I'm not sure if all of them are still in regular publication.
His other works include Dream Days (which I own and am currently reading) and The Golden Age, which I think is also in regular print. The others seem to have been forgotten however, I think anyway.
Anyone know better? Thanks! :D
"I'll send you a telegram if I see a small, big boy with blue eyes, fair hair - and how many fingers did you say?" said Robin

The Boy Next Door
Loony the Dog
Favourite book/series: Book:The Boy next Door Series:Mystery or Adventure
Favourite character: Loony, Jack (Arnold), Kiki, Fatty, Bill, and Timmy

Re: Any Kenneth Grahame fans about?

Post by Loony the Dog »

I read The Wind in the Willows for about the third time a few days ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. :) I love the way his use of words like 'Nature's Grand Hotel has its Season, like the others. As the guests one by one pack, pay, and depart, and the seats at the table-d'hote shrink pitifully at each succeeding meal; as suites of rooms are closed, carpets taken up, and waiters sent away...'. Toad's boastful songs are hilarious but he certainly learns his lesson in the end. I haven't read any other books by the author but hopefully will in the future. :)
In came the Taggertys. They were clean, except Biddy knees looked like she had been crawling half a mile in some muddy place.
ledzep93

Post by ledzep93 »

I love those bits too, in fact I love it all haha. Dream Days is very good from what I've read so far, its a short story collection all about childhood adventures :)
"I'll send you a telegram if I see a small, big boy with blue eyes, fair hair - and how many fingers did you say?" said Robin

The Boy Next Door
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I've read The Wind in the Willows several times and I too love the character of Toad. As a small child I used to read a comic called Playhour which had a regular picture strip relating the adventures of "Toad of Toad Hall", based on Kenneth Grahame's character. Next to the story title was a picture of Toad - a different one each week - and I cut those out and stuck them in a scrapbook.

When I was about 11 I borrowed The Golden Age from the library simply because Oswald Bastable in E. Nesbit's The Wouldbegoods described it as A1! Like Dream Days, it was about children and the things they got up to. However, I found it heavy-going and struggled through it.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
ledzep93

Post by ledzep93 »

Thanks for that Anita, everyone seems to love Toad and his escapades haha!

And from what I've read online about both Dream Days and Golden Age, they're both reasonably similar, and I agree its quite dense fiction, yet the situations are remarkably simple. That's one of the things I love about Kenneth, his ability to convey such huge emotional resonance in the smallest of situations.

Thanks again for you're info! :) xx

The Boy Next Door
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I'm also a fan of Wind in the Willows and I can remember having it read to me many years ago in infant school. It's a lovely book and my daughter and son loved it too when they were very young. They also had the Playhour comic, Anita, which I'd forgotten all about until I read your post. It was a great comic with beautiful colour illustrations. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
ledzep93

Post by ledzep93 »

Eddie Muir wrote:I'm also a fan of Wind in the Willows and I can remember having it read to me many years ago in infant school. It's a lovely book and my daughter and son loved it too when they were very young. They also had the Playhour comic, Anita, which I'd forgotten all about until I read your post. It was a great comic with beautiful colour illustrations. :D
This Playhour comic sounds fab! What else was in that thing? :)

The Boy Next Door
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Click on the following link for more information about the Playhour Comic, Fred:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playhour" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There was also a Playhour Annual:

'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
ledzep93

Post by ledzep93 »

Thanks Eddie, Playhour looked like a lovely comic, and I'm glad to see Sooty was part of it as well :D

The Boy Next Door
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Fraid I never read Wind in the Willows.

I think there are many classic childrens books that passed me by.

Love the look of the old book, Eddie. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

You really should read Wind in the Willows, Julie. :D I'm sure you'd love it and it would be an ideal book to read to your grandchildren.

Society Member
ledzep93

Post by ledzep93 »

Indeed it is, though I didn't read it until a couple of years ago. I'd grown up with the wonderful film version with David Jason as Toad/Chief Weasel, and the TV series which followed on from that :)

The Boy Next Door
deepeabee
Favourite book/series: The one I'm reading....
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville.

Post by deepeabee »

:oops: Confession time: I never liked Wind in the Willows! :shock:
SwatIsaid!

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Eddie Muir wrote:You really should read Wind in the Willows, Julie. :D I'm sure you'd love it and it would be an ideal book to read to your grandchildren.
I'd be a bit wary about recommending any books to Julie now Eddie. Remember her opinion of "Tom's Midnight Garden"? :shock:
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Good point, Daisy, but I feel more confident in recommending Wind in the Willows to Julie. :lol:

Society Member