Follow That Caravan - Gordon Channer

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Follow That Caravan - Gordon Channer

Post by pete9012S »

I have just ordered this book via Amazon for 1p plus delivery.

After reading the blurb,it so reminded me of the Caravan Family stories by Enid Blyton.What do you think?
Anyone read it?

Follow That Caravan-Gordon Channer

Book Description This is the only series of novels ever written set in a camping and caravanning park. Based on a true story, it is exactly what millions would love to do if only they dare! A family with three children, the youngest three years old, living near a big city, sell everything to purchase a remote Cornish valley. The move, the journey and their arrival in the valley towing a tiny caravan, which will be their home, is the dramatic opening. Life will be primitive - baths in the river and a truly outside loo - there is no phone, no electric, not even mains water as they struggle to prepare for the first tourist season. All does not go well the family motto 'everyone eats, everyone works' includes the children, but their wild jungle playground with no other habitation as far as the eye can see, is compensation. There is danger, despair and elation, and a love of all things natural - and young Stephen is in trouble again - can they succeed? Village by the Ford, House by the Stream, Wheel on the Hayle, and A Buzzard to Lunch, are the first four books in the series. Follow that Caravan is the final volume. Electricity still comes from the waterwheel, but there is trouble at home. Teenage children always seek independence fathers resent it and mothers try to keep the peace. How empty will the house be when they leave but there are compensations, those three owls in the bathroom for instance, and 300 wasps in the kitchen! Life on a holiday park can never be normal. What's important about blood? Chris asked - and why was Jan tied to the top of a forty foot steel tower? Oh yes, and what about that tussle with authority, the great courtroom type battle, a mystery to this day that may still be unique? Will you weep for Susan and laugh at the caravanners and campers antics? And it's all true. Something else is unique too, the ideal present for a wife or mother. From the Author Although these books are novels (adventure, risks and dangers, sadness and elation, but most of all humour) they are actually a true story. The valley, the village, waterwheel and tower to which Jan was tied - they're all waiting for you to visit. Truth is better than fiction sometimes and even the names of the various people are generally real, just a few changed when they involve embarrassing incidents! That unbelievable courtroom type drama at the end of the book is also true - and I can prove it. I've been very careful to approach those mainly involved and get their written confirmation. There is romance too, not quite so explicit as in the previous book - Jan won't let me write another piece like that! And a love of animals and all things natural - we really did have 300 wasps in the kitchen, friendly little creatures, some of them fed happily from a finger, and those three abandoned young owls in the bathroom were a delight, safely released back to the wild when they were strong enough. This pleasure in animals is a minor part of the story, but runs through the whole series - there is intrigue, and fun with the children with the grandparents too a family tale. Will you like the series? Not much chance you may think, of getting an honest answer to that question from the author! I'd better stay neutral, just pass on the comments of others. Many women have told me their husbands never read, but have picked up the books to see what caused the laughter, then they get absorbed and won't give them back! Now that's real encouragement for any author. Try one, see if you like them, or as a present perhaps for someone special - but a word of warning each book follows on where the previous one ends, so start with the first.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Katharine

Re: Follow That Caravan-Gordon Channer

Post by Katharine »

Sounds really interesting, will you let us know if it's as good as it sounds?
Society Member
Danger Bird
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George Kirrin

Re: Follow That Caravan-Gordon Channer

Post by Danger Bird »

Sounds like the sequel to Carry on follow that camel! :mrgreen:
Danger bird, he flies alone and he rides the wind back to his home
pete9012S

Re: Follow That Caravan - Gordon Channer

Post by pete9012S »

Katharine wrote:Sounds really interesting, will you let us know if it's as good as it sounds?
Yes, certainly.Though at 1p plus delivery it would have to be an absolute anecdotage,sorry stinker to really complain too much about! :D

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

This sounds a bit like The Enid Blyton Dossier in America, selling at 1 cent + delivery. Dr. I bought a copy at this price, but he has never commented on it, so I guess he thinks that it is not worth the money as it isn't sufficiently academic for him!
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Unless the sheer glory and quality of your work has rendered him absolutely speechless,like Kung Fu in the presence of his master!! :D

Tony & Stephen discuss the respective merits of their published/self published works...

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I have got a feeling that I am supposed to be the one on the left, with a moustache that can even make drinking a cup of coffee become a problem - thanks Pete! :lol: