Philippa Pearce - Tom's Midnight Garden, etc.

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Philippa Pearce - Tom's Midnight Garden, etc.

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

*SPOILER WARNING FOR TOM'S MIDNIGHT GARDEN*

I've just finished reading this book, and when I first started it, I was enjoying it. Then I got halfway through and worked out exactly who Hatty was - the elderly lady living upstairs. So then I realized it wasn't a book about a 'ghost'! It then started to lose it's appeal, as I thought - What's it all about then?

Sorry to give away the plot if anyone hasn't read this, but for me it was just a book about complex dreams, and it was just sheer imagination which I found slightly disappointing.

So I have to say that although I did read it and enjoyed the majority of it, I found it a bit disappointing, and I wouldn't put it on my 'that's a great book' list! :(

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: Tom's Midnight Garden

Post by Fiona1986 »

Yes, the old lady upstairs was once the young girl he meets on his nightly trips to the garden but I'm not sure how it ever could have been a ghost story, as I've never heard of a ghost garden!

Is it said in the book that he imagined the whole thing? From watching the film I always got the impression he really experienced his night-times spent in the old garden with the girl, that he really went back in time (which is why she remembered him.)
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I read the book a year or so ago, and from what I remember found it rather sad and perhaps a little haunting. I do plan on reading it again, but I think I'd have to be in the right frame of mind to do so.
Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

While I enjoyed "Tom's Midnight Garden", I must admit I prefer Phillippa Pearce's earlier book "Minnow on the Say", a lovely treasure hunt story without the sad, supernatural element.

Kate.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I have read Tom's Midnight Garden several times over the years and I am always left spellbound by the beauty of the narrative and the depth of Philippa Pearce's perception of loneliness (Tom) and loss of youth (Hatty), and her ability to understand and portray the communication between the young and the old. It's a perfect generation gap novel, which is so profound that it makes the hairs on my neck rise. For me, it is probably the best ever children's book.

The following was written by children's author and academic, John Rowe Townsend:

It is as near to being perfect in its construction and its writing as any book I know. I think only a woman could have written it ; girls should like it, and adults, and thoughtful boys, but not the lovers of the rough stuff.

The book has a profound, mysterious sense of time; it has the beauty of a theorem, but it is not abstract ; it is sensuously as well as intellectually satisfying. The garden is so real that you can have the scent of it in your nostrils… I have no reservations to make about it. If I were asked to name a single masterpiece of English children’s literature since the last war it would be this outstandingly beautiful and absorbing book.

I'm inclined to agree with him. :D

We'll have to agree to differ, Julie. :cry:
Last edited by Eddie Muir on 21 Mar 2013, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

No problem with agreeing to differ, Eddie. I'll still treasure the book you kindly sent me. :D

It's nice to hear other people's opinions, of something which really confused me a bit really. As I mentioned I thought it was a ghost book, with Hatty haunting the garden and taking Tom into it. But then I thought, I wonder if that is how the book was suppose to be, but the author liked her characters of Tom and Hatty and didn't want Hatty being the subject of say a terrible death, and so she turned the whole thing around and make it as one complete dream.

:lol: I bet no one's thought of that! How my mind works!! :roll:

8)

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

"Tom's Midnight Garden" is one of my all time favourite books. I've always been fascinated by "time-slip" stories and this is one of those par excellence. Like Eddie, the hairs on my neck are affected as I get to the last chapter. I was an adult when I first read it, and I'm never sure if that's an advantage or not, but in this case I think it was for me. It is one of the few books I recommended to my mother. She read it and while she said she enjoyed it she could see flaws in it, she said. I think she was referring to the hiding of the skates for Tom. Nevertheless, it's a wonderfully imaginative story and I would go along with John Rowe Townsend's opinion on it.
I agree Kate Mary - "Minnow on the Say" is also an excellent book by Phillipa Pearce - one which I have read a few times with great enjoyment each time. Others by her have not grabbed me in the same way.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

From what I can remember it was a well written book. The only reason I wouldn't list it as a favourite of mine is that I prefer more simple straightforward books. I don't mind fairy tales, but supernatural ones leave my head in a whirl.

I'd love to see the 1970s TV version of the book again, I seem to remember to was good, although again I was left with a feeling of sadness by it.

I think Eddie's comment about communication between the young and old, and the feelings of loneliness is a good one. I just can't remember the ending, so don't remember if it's a 'happy ever after' book.

The other major draw back for me is the fact that the beautiful garden is no longer there. It's a bit like Blyton Close being built on the site of Green Hedges. Makes me want to weep.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Philippa Pearce - Tom's Midnight Garden

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Eddie Muir wrote:I have read Tom's Midnight Garden several times over the years and I am always left spellbound by the beauty of the narrative and the depth of Philippa Pearce's perception of loneliness (Tom) and loss of youth (Hatty), and her ability to understand and portray the communication between the young and the old. It's a perfect generation gap novel, which is so profound that it makes the hairs on my neck rise. For me, it is probably the best ever children's book.
I agree with you, Eddie - and with John Rowe Townsend (even if the latter did exclude Enid Blyton from his book about children's literature!) If I had to pick one children's book as my favourite, Tom's Midnight Garden would be it. As I child I found it beautifully written, moving, thought-provoking and haunting, and my opinion hasn't changed on re-reads. The whole atmosphere of it is magical and the story draws me in and holds me spellbound.
Julie2owlsdene wrote:I got halfway through and worked out exactly who Hatty was - the elderly lady living upstairs.
When I first read the book, aged about twelve, I didn't realise the identity of the elderly lady despite the occasional clue and I found the meeting of Tom and Mrs. Bartholomew at the end truly overwhelming. Suddenly everything fell into place and seemed so absolutely right. "Of course!" I thought, reflecting on the events of the narrative. It all made sense, and yet somehow I'd never guessed.
Julie2owlsdene wrote:So then I realized it wasn't a book about a 'ghost'!...for me it was just a book about complex dreams.
Fiona1986 wrote:Is it said in the book that he imagined the whole thing? From watching the film I always got the impression he really experienced his night-times spent in the old garden with the girl, that he really went back in time (which is why she remembered him.)
I'm with Fiona on this. The times Tom and Hatty played and skated together weren't just a dream. Both were terribly lonely, and somehow their loneliness connected them so that time was transcended and each was able to be a much-needed companion to the other. "Time no longer" is an important phrase in the novel, and it seems that their need for one another conquered the constraints of time. Tom's brother Peter was also lonely, ill at home without Tom's company, and he too appeared before Tom and Hatty in Ely at the height of his loneliness. As Hatty grew up and made friends with others, her need of Tom grew less and she commented that he didn't look as solid as he used to.
Daisy wrote:It is one of the few books I recommended to my mother. She read it and while she said she enjoyed it she could see flaws in it, she said. I think she was referring to the hiding of the skates for Tom.
Although it shouldn't be possible for Hatty and Tom to be wearing the "same" pair of skates as they skate together in Hatty's youth, the notion is intriguing and it does demonstrate the strong connection between the two, and stress the concept of "Time no longer".
Daisy wrote:I agree Kate Mary - "Minnow on the Say" is also an excellent book by Phillipa Pearce - one which I have read a few times with great enjoyment each time. Others by her have not grabbed me in the same way.
I only read Minnow on the Say as an adult and it has a certain poignancy for me. My grandad was in hospital and the doctors knew he didn't have long to live. Wanting to see him, I travelled by train six hours there and six hours back in one day, in order to spend two precious hours at the hospital with him (other relatives were there as well). He was calm and chatty and we talked mainly about nature walks we'd been on in the past - lovely times. He died the next day. Anyway, for part of the outward and return train journeys I read Minnow on the Say, starting and finishing the whole book on that day. It transported me to a tranquil world, journeying along a river, and the story soothed and lulled me at a time when I was facing loss and sadness (though there was also a feeling of acceptance as my grandad had been living with pain and severe breathing difficulties for some time). So I now associate that book with my grandad, and nature walks my sister and I went on with him when we stayed at my grandparents' house. Sometimes we walked by a stream where we'd all swing out over the water on a piece of rope tied to a tree, my grandad included. So yes, Minnow on the Say is special to me too even though I didn't read it as a child.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Anita, what a moving account of your last visit to see your Grandfather. I'm glad you were able to say goodbye to him in such a way.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I echo what Katharine has just said, Anita. And I'm glad you were able to visit the hospital and say your goodbye to your Grandfather.

Lovely reading what others thought of Tom's Midnight Garden. I guess reading your accounts that in a small way, it could really be classed as a sort of ghost story, with Tom and Hatty being in the garden of years gone by and the roller skates, which he found that belonged to Hatty.

I think from that point of view it has to be a book that is read a few times to appreciate exactly what the author is trying to convey. :)

8)

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

I'd really like to read this book, so I will have to buy a copy. My trouble is I tend to want to spend as little as possible but I don't want a shiny modern copy... And if I'm buying a vintage copy I always want it to be one that is as close to the original edition as possible. I can't have it all!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I've enjoyed reading all your posts about Tom's Midnight Garden. It really is a thought-provoking book. I found your account of visiting your dying grandad in hospital and reading Minnow on the Say, on your outward and homeward journey, very moving, Anita.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:I think from that point of view it has to be a book that is read a few times to appreciate exactly what the author is trying to convey. :)
Yes, as with many books I think it's easy to miss things the first time. On subsequent reads you know where the story is heading so you fully understand the significance of certain scenes and references as they occur.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Well I've just ordered a copy from abebooks 66p plus £2.79 postage, it is listed as being from 1958 (the year it was first published) so fingers crossed it's the real deal!

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member