A little bit embarrassing...

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Moonraker

Re: A little bit embarrassing...

Post by Moonraker »

Danger Bird wrote: Thank you. I always like to hear people's recommendations. I've stuck it on my wish list and will wait for a price drop.
It is important to read this series in order, so start with Dissolution.
Society Member
shadow
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery / Mary Pollock / Adventure Series
Favourite character: Kiki / Loony

Post by shadow »

Just got this book from the library, hope it's as good as you say!
If I could live here on this secret island always and always and always, and never grow up at all, I would be quite happy
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I don't think I've ever read any of the Anne of Green gables books. I'll add them to my list of 'books I ought to try', although I'm afraid my tastes are rather limited. I tried to read Little Woman last year and found the first chapter rather boring, I keep telling myself I ought to try and read al bit more of it before I dismiss it altogether.

I found my copy of The Treausre Seekers, and read the first chapter the other night, it seems vaguely familiar, but I'm not sure if that's because I've seen a TV adaptation or that I read the book at school. I enjoyed it and will definitely be reading some more. It's interesting to note that it's yet another book which doesen't appear to be updated, in the same way as The Railway Children and Arthur Ransome discuss items such as clothing which are unheard of today.
Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Yes Katherine, the film Little Women starts off rather slow paced.However, as it covers their life in three parts (Domestic,work and love) the first part would be slow. I've not read the book so can't compare it with the film which i probably would not sit through again - though one viewing was worthwhile.

Jack
Society Member
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

I haven't seen the film for Little Women, but I've always enjoyed the books, though Jo's Boys becomes rather too preachy. To me, the first two books are the best. They are rather slow-paced I agree, but I think that's part of their charm; they are a domestic drama, after all. I think my favourite is Good Wives which has a wider range of settings and builds on the first book.

I also love What Katy Did and What Katy Did Next; they have the same old-fashioned feel as the Little Women series.

I would highly recommend the Anne series, and the books are far, far better than the films IMHO. There is a wealth of detail in the books to steep in which the films simply cannot reproduce; Anne is a great character in memorable settings. For me, the Anne series hold a similar purpose for Enid Blyton books in that they provide a thoroughly wholesome escape into Fiction Therapy! I find it impossible to read an Anne book and not feel soothed!

Poppy, forgive me if this suggestion has already been made to you, but have you tried the Chalet School series? They tick the 'old-fashioned' box, and if you like school stories then these might be right up your street.

Also, referring to your first post in this thread, if you're 'batty' in preferring EB to all other authors at the moment then I went through about two years of 'battiness' when I was about eleven-twelve!! I wouldn't worry about it; just be prepared to branch out and read other authors when your imagination and mind demand more than Enid Blyton can provide. There is a huge range of great worlds out there contained in books when you're ready for them. (And at least you've been given some excellent suggestions in this thread!)

It is also worth noting though that reading a wider range of books will help you with your writing, in that you'll encounter different styles of writing, vocabulary and story ideas. Experiencing a wider range of these will help to improve and enhance your own work, and perhaps you will find your imagination fired in new ways!
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Spitfire wrote:I haven't seen the film for Little Women, but I've always enjoyed the books, though Jo's Boys becomes rather too preachy. To me, the first two books are the best...

I also love What Katy Did and What Katy Did Next...

I would highly recommend the Anne series, and the books are far, far better than the films IMHO...
I have to admit that in each of those three series (Little Women, What Katy Did and Anne of Green Gables) I only really like the first two books - or maybe the first three in the "Anne" series. They have a zest and freshness that is never quite recaptured in the later volumes (though I haven't yet read the last two "Anne" titles). What Katy Did and What Katy Did at School are great reads, but as Katy grows up and becomes more staid the life goes out of the series for me. Personally I find that What Katy Did Next drags, and as a child I would often read the first two books but not bother with that one. There are a couple of later "Katy" titles too, not as well-known, but they are pretty tame and focus mainly on Clover if I remember correctly. If I had to pick just one book out of those three series, Anne of Green Gables is my absolute favourite. Anne as a girl is imaginative, sensitive and engaging and I always wished I could have had her as a friend.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Poppy, reading the posts on here as made me realise just how many books I've never read, and I'm now beginning to regret it. I know I can easily start reading the Little Women and Katy series, but I know it won't be the same as reading them for the first time as a child. Over the last few years I've read a number of the Chalet School series, and still have a couple of books I haven't got around to reading yet, but I can't say I really enjoy them, but then I don't enjoy the St. Clare's or Malory Towers books as much these days either. So maybe it's best to read some books at the age they are aimed for.

One short series of books I seem to remember I quite liked was the Heidi books, although I haven't read them for a very long time now. I also read some of my mother's Angela Brazil books and a few other stand alone stories, such as Katherine at Feather Gyll which I quite enjoyed, but I don't know if any of those are still in print. My favourite non Blyton series would probably be the Susan books by Jane Shaw, although again I haven't read those for many years either.

I know it's a bit early, but I really must make a resolution for next year - read more non Blyton books. That can be broken down into 2 sections - read authors I have never read before, and re-visit some childhood favourites - in fact read more books in 2013!!!
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Katharine wrote: I know it's a bit early, but I really must make a resolution for next year - read more non Blyton books. That can be broken down into 2 sections - read authors I have never read before, and re-visit some childhood favourites - in fact read more books in 2013!!!
That's a really noble resolution Katharine. I like resolutions I really want to keep!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Well here's my resolution, finish all the Blyton books on my bookshelf! :lol:
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Danger Bird
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George Kirrin

Post by Danger Bird »

I made a similar resolution last year - to read more books and watch less telly. I think I only read 3 books in 2011!
I set myself a goal of 30 books this year and so far I'm up to no.41. Buying a kindle definitely helped. It's made it a lot easier to keep track of what I've read. The books are generally much cheaper than paperbacks and a lot of the classics are free!
This is probably the first resolution that I've stuck to and I feel like I've achieved something this year even if it is only reading books! :D
Danger bird, he flies alone and he rides the wind back to his home
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

3??? :shock:
What 3 books in total or 3 Enid Blyton's? :?

I read nearly 100 x that! :lol:
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Well done! The Kindle is a great help. I even have The Koran on mine, a book that I probably wouldn't have bought in a bookshop. Also, there are many free books, and I have just downloaded the latest Peter James mystery for 20p!
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Thank you for the info about the Kindle edition of the latest Peter James mystery, Nigel. I'm just about to download it. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

20p for a book is really good, even if it just is on a screen! :D

In my opinion I would prefer the proper books!
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Danger Bird
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George Kirrin

Post by Danger Bird »

Poppy Hutchinson wrote:3??? :shock:
What 3 books in total or 3 Enid Blyton's? :?

I read nearly 100 x that! :lol:
Three men in a boat by Jerome K Jerome
Remix by Lexi Revellian
The Hobbit by JRR Tolkein

I also read a few Famous Fives but as I've read them before I didn't count them. Not sure why, just the way my bizarre mind works!

So yes a pitifully low number although I did have a pretty turbulent time last year with a lot of bad things happening in my personal life.
Danger bird, he flies alone and he rides the wind back to his home