A little bit embarrassing...

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: A little bit embarrassing...

Post by Daisy »

I thought some situations were very gruesome and nasty. I needed to read the last book to get some kind of happy ending. Thank goodness there was one.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Poppy, while I think it's a good idea to try out other authors from time to time, I have to say I've never come across a children's author who has appealed to me in the same way as Enid Blyton does. I've read several of the Arthur Ransome books, and although I enjoy them, I've still to finish reading the series, even though I read the first one probably 35 years ago.

I think the 'trouble' for want of a better word, is that Enid wrote so many different types of books, so once I grew out of Noddy and the Faraway Treet, I had the FF, Secret Series, Barney books etc. to read, plus of course the nature type books such as Cherry Tree Farm. If I didn't want wild life or adventures then there are 3 school series to read, and then again there are the stand alone books such as House at the Corner, Hollow Tree House, Holiday House etc.

As a child I had 2 and a quarter book shelves, and a whole shelf was just Enid Blyton books, no other author that I discovered came close to writing as many as she did.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other author that I read one book by and looked out for another by them. The exception would possibly be Arthur Ransome, but I could borrow my mother's, even then, I never felt a desire to own my own copy, which I did with the FF.

As an adult there have only been 2 authors I wanted to collect, and those are Agatha Christie and the Harry Potter Series.

Have you tried Harry Potter? The later books might be a bit 'dark' for you, but the first couple should be ok.
Society Member
iluveb
Favourite book/series: St.Clare's,Malory Towers
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Sally Hope,Hilary Wentworth,

Post by iluveb »

he ktharine..... nice to note you like harry potter... i got the whole set for my bday.. from daddy....
THE MOST LOYAL FRIEND OF A PERSON IS A BOOK
-Ernest Hemmingway
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Hi,I have tried the first page of a few books now by different authors. I will have to add two more to my list that I forgot before... Brave Janet, and The Railway Children. I did manage to finish the Railway Children when I was at school but they had to make me! I'll always go back to Blyton! I am a little bit tempted to try the Robinson Crusoe book after it was mentioned in The Secret Island. But you will never beat Enid Blyton and at least I'm actually reading SOMETHING as you would be surprised... Some children don't read anything at all. Just think of the things they are missing out on. My mum is stuck in the middle of the Hamish Macbeth series By MC Beaton. Anyone heard of these? She's borrowing them from the Library, and she says they are good... Adult books though! I've just started The Secret of Spiggy Holes and I can't put it down! :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

Poppy Hutchinson wrote: I've just started The Secret of Spiggy Holes and I can't put it down! :D
I have a lovely picture in my head of you Poppy, holding "Spiggy Holes" in one hand and your fingers running all over your keyboard with the other!

Society Member
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

:lol:
You big tease Daisy!
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I'm not sure one page is always enough to decide whether or not you're going to enjoy a book.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Danger Bird
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George Kirrin

Post by Danger Bird »

I normally read between 40-50 pages before deciding whether to continue with a book or not. I'd say you should at least read the first chapter to get a flavour of the book, but even that might not be enough.

One book I thoroughly enjoyed this year was the Alchemist's Secret. I nearly gave up after 3 chapters. But I decided to read one more chapter, and I'm glad I did because from then on I was hooked!
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

I had started Harry Potter and the Philospher's stone, but lay it away after the first two or three chapters, I thought it was boring. Only after watching the first film I restarted reading the book and then the whole series.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Fiona1986 wrote:I'm not sure one page is always enough to decide whether or not you're going to enjoy a book.
It is for me and then I quite happily skip off back to my beloved Blyton world! :D
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I agree it takes different amounts of time to be drawn into a good book. I nearly put the first book in the New Moon series down after the first chapter. However after struggling through a few more pages I was hooked and ended up reading the whole series - twice. Not that I'd recommend them for a 12 year old.
Society Member
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

:lol:
Not after all the encouraging in the world will you make me read another book by a different author! :D
I agree I need to be more open minded, but just let me finish the Secret Series! :D
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

Katharine wrote: I nearly put the first book in the New Moon series down after the first chapter. However after struggling through a few more pages I was hooked and ended up reading the whole series - twice. Not that I'd recommend them for a 12 year old.
Are you referring to the Emily books Katharine? Wonderful books, but I first read them as an adult, so not sure how I would have taken to them when younger.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Fiona1986 wrote:I'm not sure one page is always enough to decide whether or not you're going to enjoy a book.
Oh, it can be. I read just one paragraph of a C J Sansom book to make me want to read the whole series!
Society Member
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

How long was the paragraph? :)
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member