Michael Morpurgo

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Loony the Dog
Favourite book/series: Book:The Boy next Door Series:Mystery or Adventure
Favourite character: Loony, Jack (Arnold), Kiki, Fatty, Bill, and Timmy

Michael Morpurgo

Post by Loony the Dog »

I can't believe nobody has barely mentioned this author! :shock: Looking on his website I think I've read about 31 :o of his books - far more than I'd ever thought. I've got about 15 books in my collection the last ones I read were Alone on the wide, wide Sea, Little Foxes, and Long way Home. All great books. It would be hard to choose a favourite but I loved Singing for Mrs Pettingrew, Dear Olly, Little Foxes, and King of the Cloud Forests. He would be up there with some of my top 10 authors, along with Enid Blyton, Lauren St John, Carolyn Keene, and Gordon Korman. Has anybody else read his books? I know Anita has, but I can't remember anybody else. :D
In came the Taggertys. They were clean, except Biddy knees looked like she had been crawling half a mile in some muddy place.
Icecream342
Favourite book/series: JW books and the Faraway tree books
Favourite character: Dame Washalot

Re: Michael Morpurgo

Post by Icecream342 »

I like: Toro Toro, Dear Olly, Animal Tales, Farm Boy, I believe in unicorns, King of the cloud forests, My friend walter, Little Foxes, and a lot more.
We Really want to help Mrs Philpot
Five go to Finniston Farm

I am Icecream342 but everyone can call me Icey or popsicleCheck out my blog- the big big blog at; http://thebigbigblog.wordpress.com/
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

I've just come across this book online, by Michael Morpurgo - An Eagle In the Snow and it sounds fascinating! It's getting published in October this year and it surrounds WWII and focuses on a true story about a man who could have prevented this terrible war.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Sounds like another one for you to read and review, Poppy! :D I'd be interested to hear more about it.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I read "The Butterfly Lion" last year as my cousin's son happened to have a copy lying about and I was bored. I enjoyed it and I think there may have been a tear or two shed towards the end! That's the only one of his I've read, though.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

I've read quite a number of Michael Morpurgo books and I am always fascinated by the fact that he says all his books are based on some real-life inspiration. I think he's a really good writer and he's written some fantastic books. My personal favourites are War Horse, Mr Nobody's Eyes and The War of Jenkins' Ear. They all tend to be quite sad though, but nevertheless, they are brilliant stories.
Courtenay wrote:Sounds like another one for you to read and review, Poppy! :D I'd be interested to hear more about it.
Yes, I'll definitely be reviewing it when I get a copy! :D
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

An Eagle in the Snow does sound good, Poppy. I read a few Michael Morpurgo books some years ago, my favourites being Kensuke's Kingdom and Escape from Shangri-La. The stories weren't very complicated but were thoughtful and beautifully written.

I also thoroughly enjoyed the film and stage versions of War Horse (though I haven't yet read the book) and the film version of Private Peaceful.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Oh I didn't know that there was a film version of Private Peaceful! I've read the book and it was a very powerful and fascinating story. I'll have to look out for the film version.
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I don't think Private Peaceful got much publicity when it was on at the cinema, which is a pity. I only became aware of it when a friend lent me the DVD.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Yes, that is a shame. I will have a look out for the DVD - I'd be interested in seeing the film.
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I've read the book of War Horse and enjoyed it, but I must say the stage show was even better — it's much more powerful to actually see the story unfolding in front of you, especially with those incredible horse puppets. The awful news is that the stage show is to close in March next year. I was hoping they would keep it going until the end of 2018, when we have the centenary of the end of the war, but apparently not... :cry:

I have seen it twice already, but I'm determined to go one more time before it ends! It is one of the most amazing performances I have ever seen. To anyone here who's been thinking of seeing it and hasn't yet — don't miss your last chance!!

I hadn't heard of Private Peaceful, but it looks like another one I ought to read, and perhaps see the film too if I can.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Private Peaceful is by far the most successful book that Michael Morpurgo has written to date. From my files:-

Private Peaceful (October 6th 2003) (Collins) – Carnegie Shortlist, Whitbread shortlist, Guardian Longlist,
Blue Peter Award Winner, Red House Older Winner, Portsmouth Longer Winner, Salford Children’s Book Award,
Stockport KS4 Shortlist, Hampshire Book Award Winner, Southern Schools Book Award Winner,
Grampian Book Award Shortlist
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Tony Summerfield wrote:Private Peaceful is by far the most successful book that Michael Morpurgo has written to date.
Even more so than War Horse? :lol: Well, not having kids or any young relatives, I don't keep track of current children's literature very easily. I don't think Michael Morpurgo is nearly as well known in Australia as he is in the UK, either — I don't think I had ever heard of him before I moved here. But quite possibly his books have been selling like hot cakes there for years as well and I simply hadn't noticed! :wink:
Society Member

Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Hi again everyone,

I'm currently planning another holiday in Cornwall, this time including a couple of days on the Isles of Scilly. I was wondering if there have been any good novels (particularly for children and young people) set in the isles, just to get me in the mood and whet my appetite — I haven't been there before.

According to Wikipedia, five of Michael Morpurgo's books are set in the Isles of Scilly:

Why the Whales Came
The Sleeping Sword
The Wreck of the Zanzibar
Arthur, High King of Britain
Listen to the Moon

Has anyone here read any of those, and if so, would you recommend them?
Society Member

Poppy

Post by Poppy »

I've read two of those Michael Morpurgo books: The Wreck of the Zanzibar and Why the Whales Came and I really enjoyed both. I'd probably recommend the latter more, though because it is such an intriguing and unique story, but both are definitely worth a read. :D
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member