Sarah Bosse's Famous Five continuation novels

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Sarah Bosse's Famous Five continuation novels

Post by Wolfgang »

Today I received another Famous Five, actually her 26th continuation novel. Within one and a half months Bertelsmann published 5 novels, after having not published any new novel for about 1 and a half year. I still wonder about the reason - Tony already pointed out that there wasn't any trouble with Chorion. So I wonder if the reason was the Famous Five film that started this year. But it makes me wonder why Hanni und Nanni (St Clare's) doesn't follow the same pattern, and there is a second film already made, the book for the film is already available for about one month.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Soenke Rahn

Re: Sarah Bosse's Famous Five continuation novels

Post by Soenke Rahn »

Thanks for this view. with friendly greetings, Soenke
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

I have never read any of them - what is your assessment of the books?
Do they follow the spirit of Enid's books - re the children's characters the same?
Society Member
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

I can not say a lot to it. I read a little bit of chapter one of the book to the film. This was ok.
And I have listen the first part of this reading: http://www.amazon.de/F%C3%BCnf-Freunde- ... 3866043120 but not listen the entire of it - possibly later ...

If I have more time I will read it. I suppose it's like the other books of the Famous Five which are not written down of Enid Blyton. I like e.g. the Audio drama:

Fünf Freunde und das Geheimnis des Winterwaldes. (Famous Five and the secret of the winter wood).
It's about a walk through the wood, of the Famous Five. They finding hedgehogs, which not sleep. And they want to find the reasons for it and protect the hedgehogs. example to it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qWjnRXk09" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But this audio drama was written by Katrin McClean (German writer).
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Of course Enid was very keen on nature - see her Nature Notes for schools
with pictures by Eileen Soper. Katrin sounds German but McClean sounds very
Scottish!
Society Member
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

I read all of Bosse's Famous Five books that have been published so far, and I'm not impressed. Those books are quite short compared to the ones writen by Blyton, I'd say they are about the same length as the Voilier novels. If you want to judge yourself, you'll find a translation of Bosse's first Famous Five novel in the Blyton Yahoo group. It is one of the better novels, but I think Brigitte Blobel with her "Ghostbooks" kept closer to the ideals of Enid Blyton.
The book of the film can't be compared with Bosse's other novels, the characterization of the Five is completely different.
I'm also not impressed by the audioplays of the new adventures, they lack the atmosphere of the 21 original novels.
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

Wolfgang wrote:I read all of Bosse's Famous Five books that have been published so far, and I'm not impressed. Those books are quite short compared to the ones writen by Blyton, I'd say they are about the same length as the Voilier novels. If you want to judge yourself, you'll find a translation of Bosse's first Famous Five novel in the Blyton Yahoo group. It is one of the better novels, but I think Brigitte Blobel with her "Ghostbooks" kept closer to the ideals of Enid Blyton.
The book of the film can't be compared with Bosse's other novels, the characterization of the Five is completely different.
I'm also not impressed by the audioplays of the new adventures, they lack the atmosphere of the 21 original novels.
Yes maybe so. :) e.g. Fünf Freunde und das Ungeheuer aus der Tiefe, page 15. "Erinnert ihr euch noch daran, wie der große Baum auf das Haus gekracht is?, fragte Anne."
literal possiblyl: "Did you remember, how the big tree falls down on the house? asked Anne."
but I would understand. "Possibly we have a bad mind '(Alzheimer?) , so I must say you, we have had an incident, with a big tree, which falls down on the house, few years ago." ^^
Suppose she means something like that: " Hey boys, I am so happy that the big tree, some years ago, destroyed not the house completely and there is not another one which will damage it again, so that we will not fall into an adventure again and can slepp comfortable." -- Ok, possibly this sentence would also not the best, but I think to set relations to old storys, could be better made. :-) --- But I think it must be a big aim for Sarah Bosse to write like Enid Blyton ... suppose it's not easy and possible to made it really like Enid (sigh, Blyton was great) ... But I hope that it was not to bad to read them all. ;-)
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Today another new novel arrived, book 69, Fünf Freunde - Das doppelte Spiel. I'll see if I find the time to read the book this weekend.