Lauren St John

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Moonraker

Lauren St John

Post by Moonraker »

I am loving the follow-up book to Dead Man's Cove, by Lauren St John, Kidnap in the Caribbean. The characters, Laura Marlin and her Bangladeshi 'best friend' Tariq are developing well, and I find it almost impossible to put the book down! Has anyone else read the latest story in the series yet?
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Lauren St John

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Yes, I'm reading it too, Nigel. Thoroughly enjoying it. I love the way Lauren St John writes. It has a Blyton feel to it for me. Easy to read, and leaves you wanting more! :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Icecream342
Favourite book/series: JW books and the Faraway tree books
Favourite character: Dame Washalot

Post by Icecream342 »

I have the first 1. I got it out the library. Did you know, it has one the Blue Peter book awards 2011 for favourite story... I love the first sentence
They came for her at 6.51am
Dosn't it make you want to read more?

The quote on the front from the times
A great story for fans of Enid Blyton
That is what we are
We Really want to help Mrs Philpot
Five go to Finniston Farm

I am Icecream342 but everyone can call me Icey or popsicleCheck out my blog- the big big blog at; http://thebigbigblog.wordpress.com/
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I loved reading both of these books. They're really good. My preference if I have to be really honest in the first one, Dead Man's Cove, probably because it was set in St. Ives. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:I loved reading both of these books. They're really good. My preference if I have to be really honest in the first one, Dead Man's Cove, probably because it was set in St. Ives. :D
Yes, definitely, Julie! Anything that is set in Cornwall is off to a good start! :D

I think the second book would have benefited from a bit of a résumé. I had forgotten about how Tariq's(sp?) became so friendly with Laura. Mind you, my memory is pretty well shot away!
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Moonraker wrote:I think the second book would have benefited from a bit of a résumé. I had forgotten about how Tariq's(sp?) became so friendly with Laura. Mind you, my memory is pretty well shot away!
I think this is the case with so many books written as series nowadays, many of which come out a year after the previous book (and my memory is in the same place as yours! :roll: ). Sometimes authors leave a two or three year gap - I think J K Rowling did with one of the Harry Potter books. I have got the second Lauren St John book but as yet haven't read it. I am currently reading Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games trilogy and this is the way I like to do it as all three books have already been published.
Matthew Roberts
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty and George

Post by Matthew Roberts »

Oh, The Hunger Games is a brilliant series. I loved them. Not so impressed with the trailer for the film, though. Actually, I got somewhat addicted to dystopian young adult fiction a while ago; if you enjoyed the Hunger Games, then Scott Westerfeld's Uglies and James Dashner's Maze Runner books are highly recommended. Michael Grant's Gone series was good, too, though I didn't find it as gripping as other books.

Other recent favourites include Julia Golding's Cat Royal and Eleanor Updale's Montmorency, which are great historical children's books (there are even audio books of the latter read by Stephen Fry). But my current obsession is Alex Scarrow's TimeRiders books. Really captivating time travel/alternative history books.

I think I shall have to put Lauren St John on my to read list, too. Blytonesque adventures set in Cornwall? Perfect.
Tony Summerfield

We are definitely on the same wavelength, Matthew. My parcel from Amazon this week had Plague (I have got the other three, but have only read the first two so far), The Power of Six by Pittacus Lore - I have just read I Am Number Four and thought it was great, though I haven't seen the film - and Angel, as I have read all the other Maximum Ride books. I have also recently read People's Republic by Robert Muchamore - I have read all his books and I think I even prefer them to the Alex Rider books. I have even got Anita hooked on M G Harris with her Invisible City series, four books so far and one more to come next year. The Emerald Atlas by John Stephens was also an interesting start to another projected series - both of these last two are good if you like time travel books and Linda Buckley Archer is on the same lines.

And yes, I have read all the Cat Royal books except the last one and I also enjoyed the Darcie Lock books by Julia Golding (Anita hooked on her as well!). Finally for now I have all the Montmorency books and Alex Scarrow ones - I'm afraid that I have an awful lot of books!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Tony Summerfield wrote:We are definitely on the same wavelength, Matthew.
No wonder you've slotted straight back in as an administrator, Matthew. You've read all the right books! :)
Tony Summerfield wrote:I have even got Anita hooked on M G Harris with her Invisible City series, four books so far and one more to come next year.
A fascinating series. I've got Dark Parallel in my bag to read on the train tomorrow.
Tony Summerfield wrote:I have read all the Cat Royal books except the last one and I also enjoyed the Darcie Lock books by Julia Golding (Anita hooked on her as well!)
Yes, Julia Golding is amazing. Her stories are full of drama and wittily written, with some wonderful characters. Such a versatile writer.
Tony Summerfield wrote:I'm afraid that I have an awful lot of books!
And that's an understatement! :lol:

I haven't read Dead Man's Cove or Kidnap in the Caribbean but I did enjoy Lauren St John's The White Giraffe, which is imaginative and transported me to another world.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Tony Summerfield wrote:We are definitely on the same wavelength, Matthew.
No wonder you've slotted straight back in as an administrator, Matthew. You've read all the right books! :)

Before we know it, Tony will be doing his housework, singing along to Back in the USSR! :roll:
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Moonraker wrote:Before we know it, Tony will be doing his housework, singing along to Back in the USSR! :roll:
I am not so sure about the housework, but I do have all the Beatles LPs! I wonder how many others here can say that they bought Abbey Road on the day it was released! :lol:
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Tony Summerfield wrote:
Moonraker wrote:Before we know it, Tony will be doing his housework, singing along to Back in the USSR! :roll:
I am not so sure about the housework, but I do have all the Beatles LPs! I wonder how many others here can say that they bought Abbey Road on the day it was released! :lol:
Didn't buy Abbey Road on the day it was released-but it was the 1st record I ever bought.I didn't even own a record player-had to take it to my Nans house to play it on her old fashioned stereogram which was next to her Singer sewing machine...good old Nan....incidentally she passed on every single Agatha Christie/Westmacott book ever published to me,which I still have today! :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Matthew Roberts
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty and George

Post by Matthew Roberts »

Tony Summerfield wrote:
Moonraker wrote:I am not so sure about the housework, but I do have all the Beatles LPs! I wonder how many others here can say that they bought Abbey Road on the day it was released! :lol:
Yet another thing I want to see – Tony's Beatles LPs! Abbey Road is my favourite Beatles album. Are/were you a fan, Tony, or was that the collector's instinct showing in the young Tony?

Also, pete9012S, I am very jealous of your Agatha Christie/Mary Westmacott collection! Do you collect these, Tony? Incidentally, I have always wondered if there are other Tony Summerfields researching and cataloguing the works of other authors, or is the attention that Enid gets a unique phenomenon?
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Matthew Roberts wrote:Also, pete9012S, I am very jealous of your Agatha Christie/Mary Westmacott collection! Do you collect these, Tony? Incidentally, I have always wondered if there are other Tony Summerfields researching and cataloguing the works of other authors, or is the attention that Enid gets a unique phenomenon?
Yes, I noticed the Agatha Christie comment, are they really old ones? I've dropped massive hints to my father that if he ever decides he hasn't room for his 1960s/70s paperback Christies, I'm sure I could find room for another pile of books on the landing :lol:

I don't know if there are any other authors who have someone like Tony dedicated to research, but I do think it's a shame there are no museums for Enid Blyton (at least none that I know of). I was reading a book today which mentioned the Roald Dahl museum, and I'm fairly sure there's one for the author of the Wind in the Willows. I know Viv tried to get something up and running a few years back, but encountered various problems.
Society Member
Loony the Dog
Favourite book/series: Book:The Boy next Door Series:Mystery or Adventure
Favourite character: Loony, Jack (Arnold), Kiki, Fatty, Bill, and Timmy

Post by Loony the Dog »

Lauren St. John is probably my favorite author except for EB. :D I've only read Kidnap in the Caribbean but I've got all the White Giraffe Quartet on my bookshelves and have read them quite a few times. Currently, I'm reading The Last Leopard. 8) Has anybody else read the White Giraffe books? :?: I don't think I saw anybody saying anything about them? :D
In came the Taggertys. They were clean, except Biddy knees looked like she had been crawling half a mile in some muddy place.