Have you written a story with Enid Blyton in mind?

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Trevor
Favourite book/series: The Mystery Series (The Five Find-Outers And Dog)
Favourite character: Fatty (Frederick Algernon Trotteville)

Re: Have you written a story with Enid Blyton in mind?

Post by Trevor »

Hello Izzy,
izzy_1991 wrote:Have you written a story with Enid Blyton in mind?
Well yes I have. Quite a few times in fact. The most distinct times I suppose, was:

1) The time when I was in Grade 4 or something. It was something of a "Famous Five" flavour. - It was for a school assignment where we had to write a story (with a stupid limit of how many words or pages or something). But I admit it was nothing in quality compared to Enid Blyton's stories. I have been meaning to type it up and expand it and make it a half-decent book but, I don't seem to have the time.

2) I was in Grade 4 or 5 when I had to write another story for a school assignment. But the stupid restrictions were; "IT HAS TO BE SCIENCE-FICTION, MAGICALLY ENHANCED"! Dumb, stupid guidelines!

3) It was this time of my own free will to write a Enid Blyton style mystery book and called; "[Name removed for privacy's sake]". But, for some sad reason, my files from my computer D-I-S-A-P-P-E-A-R-E-D! And I since then have NEVER been able to find them.

See: http://www.enidblyton.net/talk-about-bl ... ml?id=1787" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Trevor on 18 Mar 2012, 15:01, edited 1 time in total.
Trevor (A reader of Enid Blyton).

If I fail to remember a thread or don't reply for a couple of days, don't hesitate to send a PM (Personal Message) to me.
aminmec
Favourite book/series: Family at RedRoofs , Five go down to the sea
Favourite character: Amelia Jane , Bumpy Dog .

Post by aminmec »

Pippa-Stef wrote:Yes I still have it. It's quite a strange one. It's the story of Demon's Rocks, but with the blurb and front cover of Caravan! It's a bit dog eared now, but I still have it!
Maybe this is one of the few books that Tony had recently mentioned .The few of the classic editions of Demons rocks were published with the cover drawing of Caravan ..
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

I have written an extension of Five on Kirrin Island Again for the Famous Five Adventure Trail 2012.

I think that I've done quite well with the style, because I know her turn of phrase so well. What has been difficult is tying up the loose ends and making the story coherent in a few hundred words. How on earth she wrote stories with a beginning, middle, and exciting ending in (usually) one draft amazes me!

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
blytonlover1962
Favourite book/series: St. Clare's/Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: Carlotta Brown/Sally Hope

Post by blytonlover1962 »

Jolly funny I should come across this thread, as I emptied out my loft a week ago, and came across a trunk full of my school work. I also found a few loose stories I had written at home. Here is one I wrote, aged 3 (I had just started reading the Famous Five books to myself at this point (I could read fluently at 2 and a half) and this happened. A kind of fanfiction, I suppose:

ons upon a tim julieen fel off a clif and did the end

Translation: Once upon a time Julian fell off a cliff and died, the end.

I was such a cheerful child.

Ten years later I wrote a rather sweet little 75 page effort (when I was small my efforts never got beyond 100 pages :oops: ) called 'Helena Rivers at Malory Towers!'. I made it in my mind that a 35 year old Darrell gave birth to Helena in difficult circumstances. When Helena was 12, she started at Malory Towers. I remember writing it under the desk at school and getting a detention for not paying attention!

I wrote a short story (only 20 pages) when I was 7 for school on the theme of 'my dream school'. My general idea was that I wanted to go to either St Clare's, Whyteleaf or Malory Towers. Of course, I didn't really: I was far to much a mummies girl to go to boarding school!
"Enid Blyton books are the most wonderful in the world! They're full of funny happy things, but they've still got sad things. I wish I was one of her characters!" ~ My youngest daughter
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Viv of Ginger Pop wrote:I have written an extension of Five on Kirrin Island Again for the Famous Five Adventure Trail 2012.
Would really love to read that Viv,but is it possible at all? :D

Pete
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Help!

My brain has gone to sleep (I've got the vestiges of ME) and I need to do another re-write of the Adventure Trail.

When a Blyton story is "nicely all wrapped up" it usually means that the children have found out far more about the baddies than the adults realise. Please help me add to this list of details

name
occupation
who-knows-who
whereabouts of goods

etc

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

method(s) of communication
meeting-place
descriptions of cars or other vehicles
brand of cigarettes they smoke!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
7upromana01
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Julian, Anne, Timmy

Post by 7upromana01 »

I am writing a school story about two twins who go to a school called Oakwood High. Only on the bit when they're on the train.
Abi.

Still trialling other writers, but will eventually go back to reading a bit of Blyton! Just too many books...

Occasionally will pop in! xx
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

When I write my stories I always have Blyton in mind!
Always my teacher says to me : You are going to be the next Enid Blyton Poppy! :lol:
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Dinah Cunningham
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series and the Famous Five
Favourite character: Everyone of the Adventure Series, George, Timmy

Post by Dinah Cunningham »

Hmm, I wanted to ask, if you could put the storys somewhere so that we can look/read them.

I guess we can only read your contination viv after the end of the Adventure Trail? I'm looking forward to see your story.
Bill: "I don't know what to say. You're only kids — but you're the finest company of friends anyone could have. You know the meaning of loyalty already, and even if you're scared you don't give up. I'm proud to have you for my friends."
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Dinah Cunningham wrote:Hmm, I wanted to ask, if you could put the storys somewhere so that we can look/read them.
Enidblyton.net has some fanfictions from the forumites, Dinah, and the Society website has some very good Enid Blyton stories as well.

I do have a few of my Enid Blyton inspired stories on fanfiction.net but not my current one as it's not finished and is very long and certainly needs at least one re-work before anyone bar my wonderful beta reader, Fiona, can see it! :lol:
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Butter me up why don't you! Won't make me any less brutal with my red pen :P
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

I've always referred to you as my wonderful beta reader! :shock:

I'm shocked that you think I'm buttering you up! :(

:wink:

:twisted:
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
BookWorm19
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five / Gallianos Circus

Post by BookWorm19 »

I am actually in the middle of writing a childrens book. I have been writing a couple of years, and I have sort of based it on the style of Enid Blyton, but a bit more modern. There is a childrens series by Fiona Kelly called 'The Mystery Club' and my book is written with that and Enid Blyton books in mind. The book is about 2 sisters who visit their cousin in Cornwall, and they do things like Enids books, for like go off in picnics, sail, swim in the lake, have lemonade in the village, and have an adventure involving treasure and an old story, a mystery man, and a piano..!

I want to finish it, and id love to get it published, i've been reading about how to get your book published, and hopefully that will happen one day :D
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Sounds interesting. How 'modern' have you made it? Are there mobile phones or the internet in it?
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member