Have you written a story with Enid Blyton in mind?

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
izzy_1991
Favourite book/series: Faraway Tree
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen - Naughtiest Girl

Have you written a story with Enid Blyton in mind?

Post by izzy_1991 »

I wasn't sure which section of the forum this would go under.

While having a search in my attic yesterday, I came across old school reports of mine and some poems and stories I had written.

One story stood out to me and reading it, I realised who I had on my mind while writing it. It is only a short story, I can have only been about 12 when I wrote it, but reading it I could see some likeness to that which Enid Blyton wrote, although not as gripping.

I write about five children who have a mystery to solve when they see a bank being robbed (famous five?). The five also indulge themselves in a midnight feast (school series?).

I was pleased to read my teachers comments at the end about the imagination etc I have ...
Thank you Ms Enid Blyton!!! :D
"leave something for someone but dont leave someone for something"
- Enid Blyton (Five on a Hike Together)
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Re: Have you written a story with Enid Blyton in mind?

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Thats very interesting Izzy, I did do something similar when I was in school.

I wrote a book report when I was about 8 on the Famous Five and read it out in class. Then for my birthday one of the boys in my class got me Five Go to Demons Rocks.
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
izzy_1991

Post by izzy_1991 »

Pippa-Stef wrote:I wrote a book report when I was about 8 on the Famous Five and read it out in class. Then for my birthday one of the boys in my class got me Five Go to Demons Rocks.
How lovely!!! And a good choice on the boys behalf ...
Did you return the favour on his birthday?

I don't think I realised quite how much Enid Blyton did to influence me in my English lessons until I found the story I had written yesterday. My books have been in boxes for some time now as I have moved back home for a while so I have been missing my Enid time greatly and am sure I could not nearly write as well as I did 8 years ago :(
Pippa-Stef

Post by Pippa-Stef »

I would have done had it not been the case at the time where you only got them a birthday present if they invited you to their party, and I wasn't. And I sort of forgot! :P
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

izzy_1991

Post by izzy_1991 »

Pippa-Stef wrote:I would have done had it not been the case at the time where you only got them a birthday present if they invited you to their party, and I wasn't.
Oh well, his loss ... and your gain. Do you still have the book he bought for you?
zaidi
Favourite book/series: FamousFive
Favourite character: Nick and Julian

Post by zaidi »

That's lovely Izzy and pipa steff. I think Enid even influenced me a lot to imagine, without her i am a dumb head.
I just don't want to read any other writer but her people say me that your writing will not be good if you only read Enid and i feel so angry at this comment.Any ways Enid is some one who had influenced me a lot through her writing.
izzy_1991

Post by izzy_1991 »

zaidi wrote: I just don't want to read any other writer but her people say me that your writing will not be good if you only read Enid
How old are you zaidi? Are you still in school?
I can understand why one would not wish you to read Enid Blyton to an extent because the English within Enid's writing is not like that which is spoken today. You do not often here children exclaiming "gosh" or "golly" these days.

However, I do not believe this should stop you being allowed to read Enid. Her books are not just stories but they contain facts also which have given my brain all the more knowledge.
For example, have you read the Children of Cherry-Tree Farm? The facts about animals in there are fantastic and make it both an interesting, exciting and informative story.

I hope people's comments have not meant you have not been able to read Blyton ... it would be such a pity for someone to come in between you and your books x
Pippa-Stef

Post by Pippa-Stef »

izzy_1991 wrote:
Pippa-Stef wrote:I would have done had it not been the case at the time where you only got them a birthday present if they invited you to their party, and I wasn't.
Oh well, his loss ... and your gain. Do you still have the book he bought for you?

Yes I still have it. It's quite a strange one. It's the story of Demon's Rocks, but with the blurb and front cover of Caravan! :shock: It's a bit dog eared now, but I still have it!

MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

I wrote lots of stories while at school, and Enid Blyton's influence is right through them, although they are dull by comparison.
zaidi wrote: I just don't want to read any other writer but her people say me that your writing will not be good if you only read Enid
     It may be the case that it would be better for your own writing skill to be exposed to a much wider range of books than those by Blyton; but I would disagree with anyone who said that Blyton was actively a *bad* influence.
     On the positive side, she probably turned countless children into readers who may not have become, otherwise. I am probably one of these - although of course it's difficult to say whether I would have been triggered into an interest in book by some other author if Blyton hadn't come my way. But, as things happened, it was Blyton who started it for me.
izzy_1991 wrote:I can understand why one would not wish you to read Enid Blyton to an extent because the English within Enid's writing is not like that which is spoken today. You do not often here children exclaiming "gosh" or "golly" these days.
     (* GULP! *) Even today, as a not-so-young adult, I catch myself using such expressions occasionally - not too often, but occasionally. I don't know if anyone finds it odd or not; at any rate, they haven't yet commented.
     In Australia, I'm not sure these expressions were common amongst children even when I was a child myself. In many ways the habits I developed and the ways of thinking I adopted were more influenced by Enid Blyton's books than by my own peers, many of whom I disliked and didn't want to be influenced by anyway. This influence is probably still with me today to some extent.
izzy_1991 wrote:I hope people's comments have not meant you have not been able to read Blyton ... it would be such a pity for someone to come in between you and your books x
     In my experience, people come between you and your books all the time when you're a child.
     When I started a new school in Melbourne (Australia) in 1967, which was also my first entry into secondary school, I had what I realize now was a narrow escape from extreme, acute embarrassment that, even now, makes me cringe to think about, had it happened.
     Shortly before moving to Melbourne from Adelaide, I came into possession of a thick exercise book with hard covers - quite a nice, very old-fashioned book, with a few hundred lined pages in it - and I decided to fill it with stories, and created a set of characters about whom to write; and I started writing the stories. By the time I started at my new school, a few of the stories (about 12 pages each) were complete.
     Full of naive enthusiasm, I talked about this to my new English teacher, and I wondered whether he would like to read one of them out to the class during a lesson. I didn't know if such things were done, but it seemed appropriate because I recalled that in junior school at least things were sometimes read out - presumably for educational purposes. Reading out one of my stories would not be likely to be educational - but I didn't think about that, aged nearly 13.
     The teacher seemed to agree and asked me to leave the book on his desk. I did that, and the lesson went ahead. He didn't do it though, but said nothing about why. I don't recall whether the teacher got a chance to look at what was inside or not. Perhaps he did, and decided not to go ahead with this after seeing what my stories were like, as a kindness to me - although he never said anything to me about why he hadn't done it. I just got my book back with none of the stories having been read to the class. I don't recall whether I tried another once or twice, because the whole episode is rather vague in my memory now. And I don't know what the teacher's thoughts or intentions were about this. Presumably he did intend to at least consider reading something out, at least at the beginning - otherwise surely he wouldn't have asked me to leave the book on his desk. It's all a bit of a mystery to me now; but certainly I know nothing ever came of it. (Read on to find out why I was to be infinitely glad about that.)
     Probably only weeks or even days later I was teased by other boys who saw me reading Blyton books at lunch. I had thought nothing of this, because it seemed normal to me to do this, and I was making no attempt to hide it. Kids had read Enid Blyton at my previous school, and they were only a year or so younger than the kids I was with now. But obviously it was very uncool indeed, even daggy and childish, to read Enid Blyton now. I can only gather that the transition from primary school to secondary school caused some kids to think it was no longer acceptable to read certain things, despite their ages being almost the same - although this certainly didn't affect my own thinking in any way. After that, I didn't stop reading her books, but was very careful to keep the covers hidden.
     I'm not sure if I realized it at the time - but I certainly do now - that, had my story been read to the class by the English teacher, I would have been subjected to a barrage of ridicule from the class, who would no doubt notice the resemblance to Enid Blyton. I am very thankful now that the teacher did *not* read the stories out to the class. Not only would the resemblance to Enid Blyton's writing be embarrassingly obvious; but my complete immaturity and lack of judgement (even for my age) would have been just as obvious and just as embarrassing. I like to think the teacher, having looked at the stories, realized all this, and did me a kindness by not proceeding - and (apparently) choosing not to embarrass me by even pointing all this out.
     I used to write further stories in the same book in the school library, and later on some kid looked over my shoulder and saw the title of one of the stories: " The Adventure by the Seaside". And I got ridiculed and humiliated terribly over that title for some days or maybe weeks after that. The kids knew nothing about the content of the story; but the title itself was enough for them to poke fun at: about the most stereotypical Blytonian story title possible, even if she didn't use it herself (to my knowledge).
     Oh yes - in childhood, *lots* of forces tried to come between me and my books.

Regards, Michael.
Last edited by MJE on 24 Jul 2011, 08:37, edited 2 times in total.
Society Member
izzy_1991

Post by izzy_1991 »

Michael,

You're story is interesting. It is true that the short time between Primary and Secondary school changes children a lot. I wonder if it is other child influence or the parents warning that they must now start acting like an adult?!?
MJE wrote:Oh yes - in childhood, *lots* of forces tried to come between me and my books.
Although some people tried to take the mick out of me for reading Enid Blyton, I wouldn't have it. I am not the sort of person who will be pushed around, especially when it comes to something I love so much.

Luckily for me, my Dad was also a massive Enid Blyton fan so my parents never tried to part me from my books :D

Izzy
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

izzy_1991 wrote:It is true that the short time between Primary and Secondary school changes children a lot. I wonder if it is other child influence or the parents warning that they must now start acting like an adult?!?
     Don't know. It certainly didn't make the slightest bit of difference to me. Since I was only a month or two older, why *should* it have made much difference? I was never influenced in the least by peer pressure, and in fact despised the very concept. At most, peer pressure might embarrass me into doing something or refraining from doing something, or doing it in secret - but that was nothing but a pretence for self-defence, because it never changed my underlying thinking in the least - and still doesn't.
     I guess I'm exploring that in a novel I recently started writing (see another thread for that) - it's probably partly autobiographical (in a very loose way), even though it's really the prelude to a Blytonian adventure.
izzy_1991 wrote:Although some people tried to take the mick out of me for reading Enid Blyton, I wouldn't have it. I am not the sort of person who will be pushed around, especially when it comes to something I love so much.
     I'm afraid that I was too easily pushed around, especially at school - both physically (because I was small) and mentally. I certainly knew anger as a child - I was probably an angrier-than-average child; but I probably tended to direct it inwards, on myself. So those kids may have forced me to read Blyton in secret, but they didn't stop me from reading her.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Pippa-Stef

Post by Pippa-Stef »

MJE wrote:     
izzy_1991 wrote:I can understand why one would not wish you to read Enid Blyton to an extent because the English within Enid's writing is not like that which is spoken today. You do not often here children exclaiming "gosh" or "golly" these days.
     (* GULP! *) Even today, as a not-so-young adult, I catch myself using such expressions occasionally - not too often, but occasionally. I don't know if anyone finds it odd or not; at any rate, they haven't yet commented.
     In Australia, I'm not sure these expressions were common amongst children even when I was a child myself. In many ways the habits I developed and the ways of thinking I adopted were more influenced by Enid Blyton's books than by my own peers, many of whom I disliked and didn't want to be influenced by anyway. This influence is probably still with me today to some extent.
I still come out with things like "Gosh" "Golly" and "Smashing" in normal everyday conversation. My friends are used to it now, but it still confuses people when I do. :lol:

Actually when it comes to Blyton influenced writing I'm currently working on an Enid Blyton fanfiction. At the moment it's 54 pages long! Longer than my dissertation will be next year! :shock:

Icecream342
Favourite book/series: JW books and the Faraway tree books
Favourite character: Dame Washalot

Post by Icecream342 »

I(In 2010/2011) Wrote a 7 page story in an A5 notebook With Jacqueline Wilson in mind.
We Really want to help Mrs Philpot
Five go to Finniston Farm

I am Icecream342 but everyone can call me Icey or popsicleCheck out my blog- the big big blog at; http://thebigbigblog.wordpress.com/
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I used to want to be an author when at junior school, but don't remember writing anything other than essays set for lessons. I think I soon realised that my talents if any, definitely didn't lie in any literary future :oops:
Society Member
izzy_1991

Post by izzy_1991 »

Katharine wrote:I used to want to be an author when at junior school, but don't remember writing anything other than essays set for lessons. I think I soon realised that my talents if any, definitely didn't lie in any literary future :oops:
Ooh it's ages since I've posted on the forums, but once again I have moved house, and finally have my internet up and running once again.

I always thought I was going to be an author Katharine, but, although I would not say my writing ability is terrible, it is not great and like you, I knew that anything I wrote would certainly not be placed into a library or on sale at any point :-)