Malcolm Saville - Lone Pine Club, etc.

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
lizarfau
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Re: Malcolm Saville-related query

Post by lizarfau »

My copy of Girls Gone By's reprint of The Gay Dolphin Adventure arrived this week and I've just finished reading it - the Armada paperbacks weren't cut, they were butchered! I was quite taken aback by how much of the story was missing from the paperback.

Anyway, the book is great and definitely Saville's best IMO. But why, why, why does Jon keep calling Penny "little girl'? She's one year younger than him and 15 years old. She also refers to herself as "little Penny" ... :? Why? She's 15, she's not built like Kylie Minogue (she says she's too heavy for Mr Morton to carry across the floodwater). I found it really irritating, but don't actually recall it ever bothering me when I read it as a kid.

I also decided that Valerie would do very well as a future partner for Jon - she's got a nice side to her and he clearly fancies her. Penny can marry James Wilson, and perhaps Judith could go off with Dan - he's a journalist like James, she won't know the difference ... :lol:

It was a bit odd reading about flooding knowing how much parts of the UK are currently suffering, though. Hope everyone from here is OK ... It's been on our news a lot and it all looks horrendous.
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

I enjoyed Malcolm Saville books too, although I don't collect them (you have to draw the line somewhere!). I remember reading "Treasure at the mill" and "Strangers at Snowfell", but I no longer have them, just as well I suppose, as they were Armada paperbacks. I hate abridged books, I feel cheated. The Malcolm Saville series I really loved was the Nettleford books, which were family stories but with a dash of mystery. I had the first three as a child, and only bought the fourth a few years ago, highly recommended, particularly "Christmas at Nettleford".

Aren't Girls Gone By brilliant? I keep hoping they or someone will reprint some Blyton titles such as a first edition Wishing Chair. We can but hope.
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

Most of my "Lone Pine" books are Armada, (and a couple are Merlin) so that is disturbing news. I've never seen any hardbacks, except one.
I must have a look at the "girls gone by" publishers site it seems if I want to read them in full, - thanks for that info.
Society Member
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure
Favourite character: Anne

Post by RDMorrell »

I see that Girls Gone By is to publish The Secret of Grey Walls, the fourth book in the Lone Pine series, in October this year. They have already published the first three books in the series, and two years ago they published the 18th and 19th volumes (which are now out of print). The first three titles can be obtained new on Amazon.co.uk. The other two can be obtained in the usual sort of places, I should think. Like the first three volumes, The Secret of Grey Walls will feature an introduction by Mary Cadogan and the complete, unabridged text.

Kate Mary mentioned that she feels cheated by abridged texts. Well, so do I! :evil: I absolutely hate them, and I'm not too fond of "modernised" texts either. Armada and Merlin butchered the William books in similar fashion. Shame on them! Great to see publishers willing to reproduce books with their original and unadulterated text. Applewood did it with some of the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew books, and I really hope someone decides to do something similar with the Famous Five and Secret Seven books some day!
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Re:

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Tony Summerfield wrote:I'm not so sure about this myself. I belong to the Malcolm Saville Society and also have a complete set of Lone Pine first editions, but isn't this the equivalent of Fred Blogs writing a new Famous Five book about Julian's first teenage romance. :roll: :roll:

At £18 I am still sitting on the fence!
Anychance of buying the FF spin off? I'd love to read about that?
Advid Julian and FF fan, as you can probably guess. lol :D
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Pippa-Stef

Malcolm Saville- Again! Sorry! Read me out!

Post by Pippa-Stef »

I know some of you might already know this, but today when I was out I discovered that Malcolm Saville is being reprinted due to his centenary this year. :D

The Publisher's Evans, have already brought out the first three Buckingham Stories (I brought the first one, ever having read the Buckingham Stories) and got talking to the woman in charge who said that she could find out for me if the Lone Pine Adventures, for which I believe Saville is best known, could be coming into reprint! :D

I thought I would share ths too you and direct you to my boog where I put a post up tday about it! Comparing Saville to Enid, ever so gently at the end.
:)
http://stefsthinkingplace.blogspot.com/ ... books.html :oops:

Please let me know what you think! :D

Stef
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

Tony Summerfield

Re: Malcolm Saville- Again! Sorry! Read me out!

Post by Tony Summerfield »

If you want to know more about Malcolm Saville books, this is probably the best place to look. It is actually run by someone who is also a member of our Society, John Allsup, and he is coming to the Enid Blyton Day.

I have posted elsewhere that I am also a member of the Malcolm Saville Society.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

As John Allsup says on his site, the Lone Pine Adventures are already in the process of being reprinted by Girls Gone By. They have the original illustrations and text (most previous paperback editions were abridged.)

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Pippa-Stef

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Thanks!

I'm just over eger!

Sorry.

Tony I did read that you were in the Malcolm Saville Society, in the other thread.
My mum was once as well, but for a number of years has not subscribed. I love reading their eqivalent to the "Journals" though.
:D

Again, I'm sorry!

lizarfau

Post by lizarfau »

It's not Malcolm Saville's centenary this year, though, is it? I thought he was born in 1901. :?
Pippa-Stef

Post by Pippa-Stef »

I'm not sure. It's what I was told.

Might be fifty years or something? :?

Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

Busy reading one of my favourite Lone Pine books, The Secret of Grey Walls.
According to the site, my 1967 Merlin edition is not abridged so that's good.
lizarfau

Malcolm Saville's The Elusive Grasshopper

Post by lizarfau »

I know the Armada paperback of The Elusive Grasshopper was abridged, but does anyone know just how badly cut it was? I'm wondering whether or not to buy the forthcoming GGBP edition. I have the paperback and The Elusive Grasshopper is one of my favourite Lone Pine books, but don't want to spend the money if the cuts are only minor.

From memory there are a few Lone Pine fans on here who might know!

Liz
Pippa-Stef

Re: Malcolm Saville's The Elusive Grasshopper

Post by Pippa-Stef »

From what my mum was saying it is rather heavily edited! I don't know which edition of the Amarda was heavily edited, but I've got a copy of The Elusive Grasshopper.

E-bay normally has a good supply of them, and they normally state whether they're edited.

Sorry I haven't been much help!

RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure
Favourite character: Anne

Re: Malcolm Saville's The Elusive Grasshopper

Post by RDMorrell »

Definitely buy the GGBP edition if you haven't already done so by now. I have all the Malcolm Saville books issued by GGBP so far, and absolutely love them! They are complete and unabridged (the only changes to the original text are typos and odd punctuation), and also have original illustrations, plus detailed introductions and publishing histories. And they're printed on very high quality paper, and the covers are reproductions of the original ones too. Very well worth getting indeed! :D Lone Pine London is the next one due out.
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero