Stephen Heginbotham

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Moonraker

Re: Stephen Heginbotham

Post by Moonraker »

There were a lot more than there are now! However, Stephen's (Cornish) books have plenty of nostalgic photos and comments in them. This is really book 3 as I believe book 2 was devoted to trams (I hope I'm correct, here). I was also very privileged to have been of assistance in Stephen's compiling of Cornwall 3 (really book 4!), but won't say any more now as I don't wish to tempt fate!

It would be interesting, Julie, to see how many copies had been purchased by booksellers to date. He must be thrilled that he has had so much success with his books.

I was very fortunate to be taken to a couple of signalboxes with Stephen recently; Cornwall is one of the last bastions of 'proper' signalling.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

A great interview by Stephen this afternoon on BBC Radio Cornwall. It should soon be available here , 90 minutes into the programme. I even got a mention (by location)!
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Thanks for putting in the link, Nigel. Yes, Stephen said he enjoyed doing the radio interview. He listened to the link here, and said it sounds funny listening to yourself on the radio. :lol:

As Nigel says the interview is 90mins - 1h 30mins into the programme. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Thanks for the link, Nigel. A most interesting interview, Julie. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Yes, not bad for a novice! :lol:

8)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I still don't now how you pronounce your name! The presenter said Heginbottom, then changed it to Heginbotham (rhyming with the cricketer), I've heard Stephen pronounce it bottom. It seems to change constantly!
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

It is pronounced like the cricketer, Nigel, Botham with a Hegin before it. We get used to people pronouncing it all ways, so don't really bother much, we can't be bothered to go into the explanations of how it should be pronounced! I think the interviewer did pronounce it right once maybe at the begining of the interview, can't remember now without listening to it again. We answer to all so it doesn't really matter much! :lol: :lol:

8)

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I'm sure Julie already knows,but the history of her very distinctive married surname and the parts of the country it is most popular are fascinating to look into.

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/name-origin?s ... eginbotham" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

The interview is very interesting indeed. Those paraffin signalling lamps sound lovely - hand-built of copper or brass. I had no idea a lamp could burn for eight days!! But I take it they weren't actually still in use in 1999, the date that Stephen mentions for their removal? I suppose they hadn't been used for some time.

My Dad is also very interested in railways (and buses) and I was considering getting him the first or second book for Christmas - but I'm not sure how much a book about railways in Cornwall would appeal to him, since he has no personal connection with Cornwall. It looks beautiful though, judging by the cover on Amazon. Interesting to think that many of the photos within will be unique.

You must be chuffed to think that some of your photos may make it into the next book, Nigel!
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

What a brilliant interview, he sounds such a professional. I bet his book is more interesting than 50 Shades of Grey as well!

Julie, if Stephen ever decides to write a book about railways in Suffolk/East Anglia, let me know, and I'll be first in the queue for a copy.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Spitfire wrote: Those paraffin signalling lamps sound lovely - hand-built of copper or brass. I had no idea a lamp could burn for eight days!! But I take it they weren't actually still in use in 1999, the date that Stephen mentions for their removal? I suppose they hadn't been used for some time.
I am now the proud owner of one of those lamps. Stephen restored one and gave to to me for my birthday, back in September. It probably 'worked' at or near to Par. Stephen did tell me when they were replaced by electricity, but I can't remember when. Maybe Julie could enlighten us?
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Nice to read your comments, forumites, hubby has read them all and is very pleased. To answer your question, Spitfire, the lamps in question were still in use all over Cornwall until 2002. Following a pattern developed in the 19th centuary by the Great Western Railway, and continued to be made and hand built in Reading until about 1955. The lampman which when he was on leave was Stephen (hubby) had the nickman of The Prince of Darkness, because sometimes, they would blow out in the Cornish gales. He serviced all the lamps over a 6 day period every week, including Christmas Day.

Nigel your question, your lamp came from Par and is probably from 46 calling on signal.

8)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Thanks for the info, Julie. :D
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I am so envious of Nigel's lamp, what a wonderful souvenir of the railways.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I am so envious of Nigel's lamp
I was thrilled with it! Some of Stephen's comments can be read here.
Society Member