Stephen Heginbotham

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Moonraker

Stephen Heginbotham

Post by Moonraker »

Today, I am the proud owner of an excellent railway book, Cornwall's Railways Remembered, by Stephen Heginbotham. It has been written and compiled by Julie's husband, Stephen. It is a quality book, up there with the very best of railway publishing. Excellent photographs and just the correct amount of script make this an excellent purchase for anyone interested in the railways of Cornwall, or, in fact, any aspect of Britain's railway heritage. This book will be of great interest to both Great Western and Southern devotees, as the 'Withered Arm' is not left out, and includes photography of Padstow, the furthest one could travel on LSWR (latterly SR) metals. The volume includes many pictures from rarely photographed locations

I urge anyone with a shred of interest in our railway heritage to consider buying this volume, and no, I am not on commission! I am genuinely very impressed. It will sit proudly on my shelves of railway books.

Cornwall's Railways Remembered, published by Halsgrove.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Stephen Heginbotham

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I'm so glad we have a satisfied customer. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

My hubby has a book signing today from 11am at Waterstones in Truro. I'll take a few photos and post them over the weekend. :D

8)

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Hope the event goes well, Julie. Good luck to Stephen!

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Good luck at the signing, Stephen. :D May it lead to your book being a best-seller!
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Thanks, Ming and Eddie. Here is the link to some photos. Hope it works okay!

8)

http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy29 ... ing%20Day/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:Thanks, Ming and Eddie. Here is the link to some photos. Hope it works okay!

8)

http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy29 ... ing%20Day/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Worked perfectly Julie. The pics are great. I hope Stephen managed to sell some copies of his book. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Wonderful pictures, Julie. :)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks for sharing your pictures, Julie. I hope Stephen's book is selling well.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Post by Aurélien »

Great pictures #458 (aka our Julie). Thanks for sharing them with us.

But *hopeful look* surely 'tis high time for your Stephen to be putting up pictures of you at your own book signing! After all those FFO continuations, and with your grandchildren to act as critics, a children's mystery and/or a picture book series with a Cornish setting is well within your abilities.

Why a series? Well, while 'tis true that convincing a publisher to issue a single book is a challenge in itself 'tis also true that they know real money may be made with a series.

If that talented jack-of-all-trades, Will Scott, could do it, I have faith in you. Especially if you know a dedicated fellow-artist and can collaborate with him/her to come up with stunning illustrations - line-drawings + maps + colourful covers that exactly picture the action.

Go for it, lass. 8)

'Aurélien Arkadiusz' :)
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

Great pictures, Julie. Hope the book sells well. :)
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Thanks all, and yes the book is selling well. Even the local radio want to interview my hubby now!

Aurelien, my friend. What can I say without blushing somewhat. Yes, it would be lovely to have some of my own work published, without going self published, which is something I wouldn't do. I guess I'm a little 'old fashioned' sometimes. I think if a book is good enough, a publisher will snap it up. With self publishing, it seems anyone can get their work published, regardless as to whether or not it is a good book. Or as in the case of M.E. Rosson, a man who thought he could steal 'already' copyrighted stories and make them his own. An established publisher would have not done such a thing, without doing their homework thoroughly first. As Rosson not only stole my copyright, but that of Chorion too.

Anyway, I digress somewhat there. A serial set in Cornwall etc sounds a brillliant idea, Aurelien, maybe I will give it a lot of thought!!

:D

Society Member
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Post by Aurélien »

:D Go for it, Julie.

With your encyclopaedic knowledge of Blytonian plot elements; your Stephen's knowledge of old Cornish railways; your favourite Cornish landscape at your door; juvenile critics in the family; your ability to draw sketches to show any publisher your ideas of what things should look like.....you've already got an awful lot going for you.

And a series is an ongoing enterprise which can accomodate ideas that won't quite fit into the book you are currently writing....

Not sure how you protect your copyright even prior to publication by a publisher, but doubtless there are ways.

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’ :D
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Aurélien wrote: Go for it, Julie.

With your encyclopaedic knowledge of Blytonian plot elements; your Stephen's knowledge of old Cornish railways; your favourite Cornish landscape at your door; juvenile critics in the family; your ability to draw sketches to show any publisher your ideas of what things should look like.....you've already got an awful lot going for you.

And a series is an ongoing enterprise which can accomodate ideas that won't quite fit into the book you are currently writing....

Not sure how you protect your copyright even prior to publication by a publisher, but doubtless there are ways.

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’ :D
I'm in total agreement with our old Antipodean friend Aurélien here!
Go for it, Julie! :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Just thought I'd mention that my hubby's latest railway book is launched today. His last one was a best seller in that catagory.

Below is the link in Amazon if anyone is interested in Railways, or wants a pressie for a railway enthusiast for Christmas. But I see it's already sold out. If anyone wants a signed copy contact me and you can buy one from hubby's own bought collection which he signs for relations and friends :D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/More-Cornwall-R ... eginbotham" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

8)

Society Member