David Severn

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Tony Summerfield

David Severn

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I learnt yesterday from a Children's Book Website that I look at every so often that David Severn died a couple of months ago. The name probably means nothing to anyone other than us golden oldies (mouldy oldies!) and I must admit that I thought he had died many years ago. His first book, Rick Afire, was published a month or two after Five on a Treasure Island in 1942, and in the 40s and 50s he was a popular children's author. In a corner of the Cave I have his first ten books. I bought them initially because I really liked the dustwrappers (Will Scott's Cherrys series all over again), but I have read them all. If I get any response at all to this post, I might post small pics of these books as they are now very hard to come by, as are so many other books from this era.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: David Severn

Post by pete9012S »

A very interesting post Tony.
He was a writer for adults also it seems ..many thanks for the mention of him and his work.
The info below from wikipedia about his adult books is something I would definitely like to check out........

'A number of books experimented with the paranormal and time-slip, and can be compared with many modern books revisiting supernatural themes. Drumbeats! has a musical youngster beating a native drum which transports children to a lost expedition to Africa twenty years earlier. Dream Gold shows the hypnotic power of one boy over another, with dreams reliving the conflicts of their ancestors. These are his most interesting books, and the ones he wished to be remembered by.'

So yes any more info/photos about him would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Pete
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I'd love to see pics of the books, Tony. Books from that era and their dust jackets are far more interesting I think than the paperbacks of today.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Post by Aurélien »

Since you mention their stunning (Lilian Buchanan) dustjackets, may one hope that you will also share your thoughts on Will Scott's 14 'Cherrys' books with us, Tony. :)

The pestilent 'Aurélien Arkadiusz' 8)
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I read one or two of his books which I received through the Children's Book Club but I haven't read them for years and can't really recall much about them now .. I should look them out again, and yes the dust wrappers are good.
Last edited by Daisy on 02 May 2010, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

I don't think 'stunning' was the word I used - but I still like them! They are cooking at the moment and I will shortly be putting them into the oven (photobucket!) and then I will put them on a plate for you to see, but I won't make the images all that large.
Tony Summerfield

Straight from the 'oven'!

The "Crusoe" Books
Image Image Image
Image Image

The "Warner" Books
Image Image Image
Image Image

And for the real 'anoraks' (like me!) :oops: A glimpse into the Cave files!!

Crusoe Series
Rick Afire! (November 1942) (Bodley Head) 7/6 (240 pages) (ill J. Kiddell-Monroe)
A Cabin For Crusoe (September 1943) (Bodley Head) 7/6 (230 pages) (ill J. Kiddell-Monroe)
Wagon For Five (December 1944) (Bodley Head) 7/6 (240 pages) (ill J. Kiddell-Monroe)
Hermit in the Hills (December 1945) (Bodley Head) 7/6 (240 pages) (ill J. Kiddell-Monroe)
Forest Holiday (October 1946) (Bodley Head) 7/6 (224 pages) (ill J. Kiddell-Monroe)

Warner Series
Ponies and Poachers (November 1947) (Bodley Head) 7/6 (224 pages) (ill J. Kiddell-Monroe)
The Cruise of the Maiden Castle (November 1948) (Bodley Head) 7/6 (256 pages) (ill J. Kiddell-Monroe)
Treasure For Three (October 1949) (Bodley Head) 7/6 (212 pages) (ill J. Kiddell-Monroe)
Crazy Castle (November 1951) (Bodley Head) 7/6 (192 pages) (ill J. Kiddell-Monroe)
Burglars and Bandicoots (October 1952) (Bodley Head) 7/6 (192 pages) (ill J. Kiddell-Monroe)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Some of those dustwrappers are striking - they have a dark, brooding feel to them. I particularly like the look of Hermit in the Hills, Forest Holiday and Burglars and Bandicoots. Thanks for posting them, Tony. And I agree, Pete, that Drumbeats! and Dream Gold sound promising.

Interestingly, Joan Kiddell-Monroe also illustrated the Ladybird books about Wonk the koala bear (I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to peruse those in a cosy corner of the Cave!) as well as a few Malcolm Saville titles.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Nice to see the books, Tony. As I looked at them I couldn't help thinking how they reminded me of some Enid Blyton books.

Treasure 3 - is similar to The Treasure Hunters
Rick Afire - The Mystery of the Burnt Cottage
Waggon 5 - Five Go Off in a Caravan.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Wagon for Five reminds me of Five Go Off In A Caravan, but Hermit in the Hills is definitely creepy.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Aurélien wrote:Since you mention their stunning (Lilian Buchanan) dustjackets, may one hope that you will also share your thoughts on Will Scott's 14 'Cherrys' books with us, Tony. :)

You are never 'pestilent', but I can't really comment on the books as I have only read one! :roll:

I have tidied up my pictures of the David Severn books though, they are not in the Lilian Buchanan style, but I hope you like them.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Tony Summerfield wrote:
Aurélien wrote:Since you mention their stunning (Lilian Buchanan) dustjackets, may one hope that you will also share your thoughts on Will Scott's 14 'Cherrys' books with us, Tony. :)

You are never 'pestilent', but I can't really comment on the books as I have only read one! :roll:
Hmm, persistent is the word I'd use!

Great, atmospheric covers, Tony. Thanks for digging them out for us.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Lovely covers Tony, thanks again for showing them. Thats what I love about this site, I see and learn so many things that would otherwise never have come to my attention. Incidentally the cover of Burglars and Bandicoots looks just like my mental impression of Blyton's Peterswood. What is a bandicoot anyway? :?
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
bilgewaters
Favourite book/series: Secret Room/Hidden House.
Favourite character: got to be Bets

Post by bilgewaters »

I remember reading "Drumbeats" many years ago in a paperback form,It was a brooding creepy book with,if I remember rightly a not too happy ending.but it was a fantastic book full of atmosphere.I'd love read it again,Ebay here I come. I rediscovered Paul Berna again recently,his books were very atmospheric too particularly The Hundred Million Francs and The Street Musician.Brilliant!
When I'm grown up I won't forget the things I think today.
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

I’ve never read these, but they look good. I’m almost sure I’ve seen at least one of them in my local second hand bookshop, but when I went there on Saturday I couldn’t see any.