Hans Christian Andersen

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Snubby
Favourite book/series: The Barney 'R' Mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby!!, Barney, and F5's George

Hans Christian Andersen

Post by Snubby »

Seeing the Google homepage, I just realized today is the 205th birthday of Hans Christian Andersen. I wonder what other people here think about his work? Apart from Enid Blyton's, a huge part of my childhood was spent reading and re-reading his stories. Strangely, even I found many of them too tragic, I still felt that they were beautifully told (partly maybe because of the illustrations :lol:).
"It is partly the struggle that helps you so much, that gives you determination, character, self-reliance—all things that help in any profession or trade, and most certainly in writing." —Enid Blyton
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Hans Christian Andersen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I loved his stories too, Snubby, even though many of them were sad. My first encounter with them was through a colouring book, where some of his tales were printed on the left-hand pages and there were pictures to colour on the right. 'Little Ida's Flowers' was one of my favourite stories, about a girl named Ida who was sad that her flowers were fading and dying. She found that they went dancing at night, which is why they were becoming more and more exhausted, and in the end they died and I think she buried them in a box. I remember that particular story best simply because I enjoyed colouring in the dancing flowers! When I was about thirteen and able to join the adult section of the library, one of the first books I borrowed from the "biography" section was a book about the life of Hans Christian Andersen. Shortly afterwards, I also borrowed Barbara Stoney's Biography of Enid Blyton.

Oscar Wilde's "fairy stories" have a similar melancholy feel to them ('The Happy Prince,' 'The Nightingale and the Rose,' 'The Selfish Giant' and a couple of others). Some excellent cartoon adaptations of those are shown on TV from time to time.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
dolly
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers, St. Clares
Favourite character: Carlotta, Alicia

Post by dolly »

Little Ida´s flowers - it was a wonderful story - sometimes it reminds me of the fairy tales of Astrid Lindgren (Pippi Longstocking) which were very sentimenal and melancholic.
I love "The little mermaid" and I have been also crying about the "Ugly duckling" ...
Andersen´s stories were described as so-called "Kunstmärchen" (I do not know the English translation) which has nothing in common with our famous Brother Grimm´s tales.
He obviously influenced our dear Enid Blyton - why not - or shall I better say "inspired" - the story about the dancing flowers, living dolls and curious little girls - very Blyton-like ...
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I was deeply moved by 'The Little Mermaid' as a young child, Dolly. I remember drawing a series of pictures based on it and writing one or two mermaid tales of my own. A few years ago I started watching the Disney cartoon version on video but only managed to get about halfway through before I had to turn it off. I couldn't believe that a film which claimed to have been inspired by Andersen's haunting tale could be so lacking in enchantment or melancholy.

'The Emperor's New Clothes,' 'The Nightingale,' 'The Red Shoes,' 'The Magic Galoshes' and 'The Snow Queen' were also among my favourites.

I read some of the Pippi Longstocking books as a child but I've never come across any of Astrid Lindgren's fairy stories. Perhaps they haven't been translated into English?

Society Member
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

'The Little Match Girl' is probably the saddest story I ever read as a child! :cry:
Nadja

Post by Nadja »

Very sad stories, some of them,and some are downright disturbing ('The Shadow'), but always so interesting. A lot of humour too. Astonishing how much impact these stories have had,with phrases like 'Emperor's new Clothes' and Ugly Duckling having passed into common use.

Other personal favourites, in addition to ones already mentioned in this thread, include 'The Flax' (not often mentioned). Andersen really could get so much imaginative material from seemingly mundane things..
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Nadja wrote:Very sad stories, some of them,and some are downright disturbing ('The Shadow'), but always so interesting......Other personal favourites, in addition to ones already mentioned in this thread, include 'The Flax'.
This thread inspired me to dig out my book of Hans Andersen stories some weeks ago and keep it by my bed, dipping into it every so often and reading a story or two at a time. Last night, after seeing Nadja's post, I decided to read 'The Flax' and 'The Shadow'. The former is a thoughtful little story - Andersen is adept at animating objects and portraying their feelings - while the latter is enjoyably creepy, putting me in mind of Oscar Wilde's Picture of Dorian Gray which was published some fifty or so years later. Thanks, Nadja!

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: This thread inspired me to dig out my book of Hans Andersen stories some weeks ago and keep it by my bed, dipping into it every so often and reading a story or two at a time.
We have been discussing Anne's bedroom scenes on another thread, now, it appears, we are about to discuss Anita's bedroom antics! :twisted:
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Well, if you must know, over the last few days I've been to bed not only with Hans Christian Andersen but believe it or not, Keith Robinson! :wink: Oh, and to ring the changes, Ruby Ferguson! :P Last night was a double pleasure - Hans Christian Andersen and Keith Robinson one after the other! And I've got Sally Gardner, Charles Dickens and Stephen Isabirye lined up to join me soon! :twisted:

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I've been going to bed with Keith, as well! After you have finished with Stephen Isabirye, can I have him? I need some substance before I can drift off to the Land of Nod. :)
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Moonraker wrote:After you have finished with Stephen Isabirye, can I have him?
Certainly! When we're both done we can compare notes!

Society Member
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

I recently did a course on Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tales. The course also involved studying and analysing the fairytales. It was in fact a very enjoyable time! :D
Since I was small, I have grown with those fairytales and they still captivate me a lot, I would never live without HCA!!!!
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Before Courtenay beats me to it....
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Courtenay didn't know that one, so you're safe!!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Moonraker wrote:Before Courtenay beats me to it....
Great, Nigel. I always associate the wonderful Danny Kaye with Hans Christian Andersen. His film about the writer has long been one of my all-time favourites. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member