Stephen Isabirye

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: Stephen Isabirye

Post by Fiona1986 »

So it turns out we do agree :shock:
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

pete9012S wrote: Please don't give up on Betty Maxey.
I admit she's not to everyone's taste,but she does grow on you if you persevere. :D :D
And no-one perseveres more than Pete. :D
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

The Anecdotage puts the Betty V Eileen debate well..
Thus, we have had generations of Famous Five fans and readers who grew up with either the mental image in their minds of either the Eileen Soper Famous Five or the Betty Maxey Famous Five or an admixture of the two which has led to contentions as well as differed opinions with regard to the two modes of illustrations.
For purposes of specificity, we shall compare and contrast just a couple of illustrations between those of Eileen Soper and Betty Maxey....
I will read the contrast in the Anecdotage and report back....
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

Why not get a copy for Christmas? It would make a welcome addition to any Christmas stocking.
To whet the appetite I will reveal that The Anecdotage uses the illustration of a tree falling on top of Kirrin Cottage from "Five Go To Smuggler’s Top" as an example.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I have it on my Kindle!
Society Member
Lenoir

Post by Lenoir »

What! You too? :)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I don't think it is the full edition, as I didn't pay for it!
Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Lenoir wrote:Why not get a copy for Christmas? It would make a welcome addition to any Christmas stocking.
To whet the appetite I will reveal that The Anecdotage uses the illustration of a tree falling on top of Kirrin Cottage from "Five Go To Smuggler’s Top" as an example.
I've got all the books I want for Christmas, thank you very much.
Society Member
Enikyoga

Post by Enikyoga »

It seems food wastage in the USA remains a very serious problem just as Enid Blyton described it during her maiden and only visit to this country!!!

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/1 ... in-at-home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stephen I.
Lenoir

Post by Lenoir »

That's one thing that the Famous Five would never do - throw away or waste food. Thanks to their keen appetites and the quality of the food before them, there was precious little left after they had tucked in.
And Timmy was always ready to devour any left overs.
Enikyoga

Re: The Famous Five: A Personal Anecdotage

Post by Enikyoga »

MJE wrote: I haven't read Stephen's book, and indeed have never seen it in bookshops here in Australia, or even seen it offered for sale on a web site - so I have no particular strong view on it. But I cannot judge this without having read the book .
Michael, the book can be obtained online and offline in several bookshops/bookstores. Some of the leading vendors/retailers for the book include Barnes & Noble:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/w/the-f ... 0741499436" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-fam ... 0741454959" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It appears that for now Barnes and Noble is offering the cheapest price for the book in both e-book and print format.

For those using Kindle, you may have to dole out a couple few more cents and bucks:

http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebook/ ... anecdotage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.amazon.com/Famous-Five-Perso ... n+isabirye" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://amazon.com/Famous-Five-Anecdotag ... n+isabirye" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stephen I.
Enikyoga

Post by Enikyoga »

pete9012S wrote:I have been reading the section of the anecdotage that gives a resume of the Famous Five books.
The grammar and word structure made me wonder if Stephen originally wrote it in his native tongue,and then used a google translate or similar to then change it into English??
The Five also learn from Pierre about Barling, a mafiosi-type of smuggler, that is even beyond reproach by the law enforcement agencies because of his wealth Pierre has also bugged his room with his personally-invented buzzer which could be an equivalence to a modern beeper in alerting him as to who is approaching his room This buzzer may not be dissimilar from the one Michael Jackson is reported to have had in his Neverland Ranch room that used to alert him whenever someone approached his room The buzzer first goes off, in the presence of the Five, when Block the butler, enters; whose “peculiar” face Anne describes as “being shut and secret” Consequently, Anne takes an immediate dislike of Block because of his discernible impassive face that neither smiles nor frowns....
There are various ways of expressing oneself in English as long as all roads lead to Rome.
Maybe, an off-hand URL below may be an indicator of the various types of English expressions that are on their way:
http://semuwemba.com/2010/05/29/does-sp ... an-others/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stephen I.
Enikyoga

Post by Enikyoga »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:['m sure we've said this before, Stephen, but your book is not at all "on the same scholarly level" as David Rudd's. David Rudd wrote his book as a university thesis (as part of a PhD, I think) and his work would have been overseen by tutors. It's evident that your book was not written under similar circumstances.
Yes, you are correct, Anita, for I should have pointed long ago that my book was neither a supervised dissertation or thesis, but rather a form of self-directed independent study. Maybe, if it had been supervised, some aspects of it would have been different. As for my book not being, "on the same scholarly level" as David Rudd's, only time will tell if that is not the case as we debate issues in my book over time.
Stephen I.
Enikyoga

Post by Enikyoga »

Domino wrote:
Pete9012S wrote:I have been reading the section of the anecdotage that gives a resume of the Famous Five books. The grammar and word structure made me wonder if Stephen originally wrote it in his native tongue,and then used a google translate or similar to then change it into English??
I don't think so. I doubt if the 'academic' words that Stephen uses have any direct equivalent in Swahili, still less in any local language. Yet Stephen misuses these words as much as the ''everyday' words.
I actually read through this thread in its entirety before I ever posted on it (posts which are now deleted). One thing that I missed originally was just how old Stephen is. If he got his MA in 1990 and his PhD in 1996 he would have to be in his middle or late 40's by now. Somehow, I had imagined him to be a good 20 years younger.
So what happened to Stephen between 1996 and 2009, when he opened this thread? One possibility, that has never been touched on, is that he suffered some kind of illness (physical or mental) that affected his reason or judgment. That he never mentioned it proves nothing. I would never have mentioned that I had suffered a stroke, had it not been that Ben accused me of ignoring his post (on another thread) and I felt I had to offer some explanation..

Dave
What has the above have to do with the issues I have analyzed?
Stephen
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

You seem to have tangled me up in a post from Dave Steve!
I've corrected that now - and removed a couple of duplicate posts from Stephen! - Anita

I was wondering on a more festive note what your plans for Christmas were?
Are you staying at home or going away?
Will there be any snow were you live?

Also Stephen,are you still doing any writing? Have you got any projects on the go at the moment?

Best Wishes

Pete
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member